Obama administration exploring legality of BCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama administration exploring legality of BCS

I couldn't decide where to put this thread. It's Sports, but I'm definitely going to take shots at Obama. I figure most of the people in O.T. won't know WTF anyway.
    It's amazing to me that Obama thinks his ducks are enough in a row that he has time to jack with this at all. He's beginning to piss me off.

Updated: January 29, 2010, 9:13 PM ET
    BCS under scrutiny from Capitol Hill

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is considering several steps that would review the legality of the controversial Bowl Championship Series, the Justice Department said in a letter Friday to a senator who had asked for an antitrust review.

In the letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch, obtained by The Associated Press, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that the Justice Department is reviewing Hatch's request and other materials to determine whether to open an investigation into whether the BCS violates antitrust laws.

"Importantly, and in addition, the administration also is exploring other options that might be available to address concerns with the college football postseason," Weich wrote, including asking the Federal Trade Commission to review the legality of the BCS under consumer protection laws.

Several lawmakers and many critics want the BCS to switch to a playoff system, rather than the ratings system it uses to determine the teams that play in the championship game.

"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football ... raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties," Weich wrote.

Weich made note of the fact that President Barack Obama, before he was sworn in, had stated his preference for a playoff system. In 2008, Obama said he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit" to nudge college football toward a playoff system, a point that Hatch stressed when he urged Obama last fall to ask the department to investigate the BCS.

Weich said that other options include encouraging the NCAA to take control of the college football postseason; asking a governmental or non-governmental commission to review the costs, benefits and feasibility of a playoff system; and legislative efforts aimed at prompting a switch to a playoff system.

Weich noted that several undefeated teams have not had a chance to play for the national championship, including TCU and Boise State this year and Utah last year.

"This seemingly discriminatory action with regard to revenues and access have raised questions regarding whether the BCS potentially runs afoul of the nation's antitrust laws," he wrote.

Hatch, a Utah Republican, was steamed that his home state team was deprived of getting a chance to play for the title last year.

"I'm encouraged by the administration's response," he said in a statement. "I continue to believe there are antitrust issues the administration should explore, but I'm heartened by its willingness to consider alternative approaches to confront the tremendous inequities in the BCS that favor one set of schools over others. The current system runs counter to basic fairness that every family tries to instill in their children from the day they are born."

Under the BCS, the champions of six conference have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games, while the other conferences don't. Those six conferences also receive more money than the other conferences, although the BCS announced this week that the ones that don't have automatic bids will receive a record $24 million from this year's bowl games.

Bill Hancock, executive director of the BCS, said that while it was premature to comment on the letter, "We're confident that the BCS structure complies with the laws of the country."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

There are more people involved in government than the President. Most of whom are able to work on matters other than what the President is spending his time on that day.

BCS.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

BCS
      A president incapable of prioritizing.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

BCS
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          BCS
          A president incapable of prioritizing.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

So I assume you're a fan of BCS like Drake?

Comment

Wow.

Did you even see my post?

Comment

Of course. A rolling eyes smiley, which is why I asked you a question. WOW.

Comment

Comment

BCS

But this is probably better than going after real industries for anti-trust violations.
                    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

I don't suppose anyone cares that this is Justice following through on a request by a Republican Senator...
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous View Post
                        I don't suppose anyone cares that this is Justice following through on a request by a Republican Senator...

OBAMA is doing it personally.

Comment

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Comment

Obama's a constitutional lawyer

Comment

I don't know. College football is a big industry. It's impact is felt beyond the scope of sports, too. Massive publicity for the schools probably affects academics. I think it is a legitimate target for anti-trust scrutiny. (And this is from an Ohio State alumnus that benefits from the current system).
                              Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X