Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd go along with that. Yesterday I stumbled on a Guardian article from while I was away. J**** was stubbornly saying that England would continue to kick. Regardless. He did actually mention the word "appropriate", in terms of kicking when appropriate. The evidence against Italy was that they will continue to kick, regardless of any situation. It's a tragedy.

It's also a tragedy that Newcastle wasted their money signing Jimmy Gopperth. He was never any better than a journeyman in NZ and he brings nothing to Newcastle. Playing outside the very talented Micky Young, behind such a powerful Falcons pack, a #10 of any quality would have a field day. Newcastle should have creamed Irish last night. Their backs aren't up to the high standard of their forwards - if they were, Newcastle would threaten the title - but there's enough young talent in the backs to suggest that a quality #10 would marshal them to be more productive than they are.

Jon Golding had another excellent game, scrummaging and in the loose. Carl Hayman seems to be one of the few examples of an imported player actually benefiting his club beyond personal on-field performance.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• As for the backs, no team in England has the kick the ball away disease as bad as us.
      You're talking of Sale or the national team?
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
        Which Bok franchise will win it this season?
        I am tipping the Bulls to win it, since they are just an awesome outfit. My Western Force unfortunately won't do well due to the massive injury list we have at the start of the season. Missing six players of international quality is not great for any team.
        Originally posted by finbar View Post
        I'm back. Thank goodness. Thirty six hours straight from Sydney to home. I'm just a bit weary. Good grief, Sydney has turned into the tropics. Our first weekend there - close to four inches of rain and never less than 30C.

The 6N still isn't covered by Fox Sports. Typical. I did, though, manage to catch the last ten minutes of Scotland-Wales on ESPN, ditto England-Italy. I'm still struggling to fathom how Scotland lost. And England looked dreadful. Italy could well have won, though I have no idea what happened prior to the last ten minutes. I have all the matches on tape so I'm going to skip through them tonight. If I can stay awake.

I did catch some S14. The Hurricanes were expected to beat the Blues comfortably. Typically, the 'Canes didn't start playing till the second half. They also tend only to start playing to their potential in the second half of the competition. It's an old problem of theirs.
        Be glad that it is on ESPN, than rather Setanta Sports, where it was before.

Comment

• BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Jason Robinson is giving England advise re: backs to be less cautious.

How ironic, given he is responsible for Sale's less than glittering back play.

Comment

Wales are world beaters Finbar - every WELSHMAN I have seen on a forum this week is saying so. There is no acceptance there that Scotland spectacularly self destructed.
            I was just spectacularly drunk not self deluded - I said before the match it was a possible wooden spoon decider.

and I just noticed this

Originally posted by MOBIUS
            I think that's a bit out of order actually. Here in Cardiff there is basically the resignation that we're going to get rolled over by the French.

Our #9 is crap, our #2 is colour blind, and our starting second row has just been knocked out. Powell committed Golf Buggy suicide before he got pushed anyway, and the rest of the team is so complacent that they only feel they should actually bother playing in the second half of any game...

No, we're going to lose - only the most deluded person here actually expects to win. Apart from that, it's just wishful thinking.
            I think its now the French as Champions (unless they self destruct somewhere) and then England, Ireland and France fighting it out for 2/3/4 with Scotland & Italy battling it out next Saturday fro 5th/6th
            To err is human, to firgive is against government policy

Comment

• Actually Finbar I think there is a case for Castrogiavani benefiting Dan Cole, and maybe even Mr Mauger helping develop Twelvetrees - and even Flood?
              The best example ever at Tigers was Fritz Van Herden – who took Ben Kay from being a second flight player to being a fixture in the England setup. Great player was Fritz – big favourite with the fans.
              I can see why CH might back the Bulls – however much teams score against them they back themselves to beat it.
              I think its now the French as Champions (unless they self destruct somewhere) and then England, Ireland and France fighting it out for 2/3/4 with Scotland & Italy battling it out next Saturday fro 5th/6th
              So you don’t expect Wales to finish anywhere? France are good but taking two places might be beyond them?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I wouldn't disagree with Castro helping Dan Cole. As long Castro's penchant for histrionics doesn't rub off. I haven't seen enough of Twelvetrees, but I haven't seen any discernible improvement in Toby. I still don't think he's got a tactical brain. He plays for the moment.

The Bulls are scarily good. And they lost Habana to the Stormers this season.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Strangely Finbar Toby had a fine game this weekend - at Fly half that is.

Standing flatter than Jonny and playing for the moment it's possible - just possible - he still might do a better job for England.

Though of course Geragthy would be the man for that mode of playing because he has a slightly better tactical brain.

It's moot anyway - there will be no changes at half back. For some reason Care's pedestrian service and crabbing across the field goes totally un-noticed by management. Youngs is in the senior squad but being released every time.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Noon and Hodgson? wtf?

Were I Clarke, Waldouck, Ashton or Geragthy (who are all in good club form) I would be wondering just what I needed to do to get a game - and stop management falling back to tried and failed options all the time.

Rob Andrew needs to be pushed out a window and Martin clearly needs to be sent back down to club level to gain some coaching badges. These call ups are inexplicable!
                    Last edited by Havak; February 23, 2010, 04:31. Reason: getting the elite directors name right

Comment

• Speechless.

Comment

• On a less troublesome note the signing of Waldrom has been confirmed - but for
                        next season so he joins us in August. Time for him to eliminate those small errors he showed in his last game?

Wonder what KoC makes of Charlie's call up - always a fine shot caller for Sale he has been found wanting time and again at England level when there is less time, less space and more pressure on his decisions. It has to be the wrong move.

Comment

• At least he didn't actually select either of them in the initial XXII.

Still some bizarre selections though.

Care's continued selection over either Hodgson or Youngs mystifies me - his slow distribution strangles any attempt to inject pace.

Has Monye touched the ball yet this tournament? Mears and Worseley on the bench? Sheesh it's clueless selection yet again.

Comment

• The selections have been utterly predictable for a long time now. Conservative, constipated. At least the front row should have a happy outing against the Irish trio. Whether that converts into possession is another matter, and whether England does anything with the possession is - well, not worth contemplating. I'm glad to see Sexton starting. Very talented. I also hope G. Murphy makes the most of his opportunity at full back.

Comment

• The blooding of Cole is one of the very few positives of the campaign but circumstances forced his hand when Wilson proved inadequate. Even then he kept Wilson on the bench and dropped the younger Mullan (who prefers loose but can cover tight). Alliterative C's are appropriate indeed.

Murphy was in superb nick last weekend - I wish him well though clearly I don't want him to be victorious. Even though he will be.

Comment

Wonder what KoC makes of Charlie's call up - always a fine shot caller for Sale he has been found wanting time and again at England level when there is less time, less space and more pressure on his decisions. It has to be the wrong move.
                                What are you talking about?

It isn't Charlie that is being called up, but Paul Hodgson.

Given Sale aren't doing well and Johnson really doesn't think much of CH, there is no way he'd be near the England setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X