Holy flying rats, Batman! Ginobili catches bat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy flying rats, Batman! Ginobili catches bat

I'm wondering if this should count as a block, a rebound and a score.

Spurs guard smacks down a bat during 113-94 victory over Kings

updated 52 minutes ago

SAN ANTONIO - The Spurs’ Manu Ginobili showed off his quick hands — capturing a bat.

“That was amazing,” teammate Tony Parker said after the San Antonio Spurs beat the Sacramento Kings 113-94 on Saturday night. “The legend continues with Manu. Unbelievable. ... He’s always doing crazy stuff.”

Late in the first period a bat swooped into the AT&T Center and descended onto the court. Players scattered and officials stopped play. The bat circled and left only to return — briefly.

That’s when Ginobili performed his Halloween trick, swatting the bat out of the air with a bare hand. He then carried the creature off the court to thunderous cheers.

As the theme song to “Batman” played, a few Sacramento players applauded, too. A trainer emerged to squirt sanitizer on Ginobilil’s hand. “When you can’t dunk anymore, you have to find a way to make it into the news,” Ginobili said. “So that’s what I did. I grabbed a bat. I didn’t think it was a big deal.”

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili picks up a bat to remove it from the court after swatting the animal from the air as it flew around the AT&T Center during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Sacramento Kings, Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009, in San Antonio. (AP Photo/Darren Abate)
    10:21 p.m. ET, 10/31/09
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

"

Comment

Holy crap.

Hope it survived.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

That'd actually worry me a lot. Bats that are willing to go anywhere near people have a very high risk of rabies...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Awesome.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If it had survived they would have said so in the article.
            "

Comment

You're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy, aren't you? Why wouldn't they have said if it was dead? I choose to think it flew off into the night, back to the family.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

They probably just covered it with a cloth or something, put a speaker nearby to confuse its sonics, and waited for animal control

... who probably just euthanize it, but anyhow ...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Jeez. You two are the voices of doom and gloom.

Comment

He killed it.

"

Comment

That wasn't very nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X