Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of. Texas is a huge, rich school that thinks it's better than everyone else (like tOSU), but it's also already destroyed one conference and seems very close to destroying another. I don't understand how they manage it and hope Michigan/Ohio State will be smarter than Nebraska/Oklahoma were, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Ten offices ended up moving to Dallas and the Big Ten title game ended up being played at JerryWorld every year...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Today, for the first time, I saw a local story about the Big 10. Missouri has been looking at a transfer. Texas will look at moving if no big TV contract is initiated. SEC would also be a viable option, and one that I would prefer.
      Of the 10 schools in the country that generate the highest revenue, Big 10 has 5, SEC has 4 and then there's Texas.
      One of the bigger hangups for a Texas move would be their desire to keep the rivalry games with Oklahoma and Texas A&M.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Texas will look at moving if no big TV contract is initiated.

MRT, this is the kind of **** that Texas pulls. They've been the staunchest opponent to a Big 12 television network because they've been exploring a potentially more lucrative Longhorn TV network. Now that the Big 12's terrible TV deal has made the conference vulnerable to Big Ten expansion, however, they're going to try to use a **** TV deal that they're mostly responsible for as an excuse to leave for greener pastures and destroy the Big 12 conference in the process. You simply can't trust Texas.

SEC would also be a viable option, and one that I would prefer.

Texas isn't going to the SEC, Sloww. Texas is far too uppity about its academics to join the SEC unless the conference drastically changed its academic requirements and the SEC already told Texas to go **** itself on that issue back when the SWC was falling apart.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Blow me.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Does the Big Ten really want a state full of Slowws joining their conference? Is the extra money really worth that?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Here's a quick overview of Big 12 tensions, MRT...

The defection of Arkansas to the Southeastern Conference in 1993 signaled the end of the Southwest Conference, by then an all-Texas league grasping for a life preserver in the turbulent, uncharted sea of TV-driven intercollegiate athletics.

Individual members—particularly Texas and Texas A&M—looked in various directions for life rafts; Texas to the Big Ten and Pac-10, A&M to the SEC. But powerful political factions in state government—specifically, Baylor graduates Ann Richards and Bob Bullock, then the governor and lieutenant governor, and Texas Tech alumnus John Montford, president pro-tem of the state senate—threatened UT's and A&M's funding if Baylor and Tech were left out, and no conference wanted all four.

Except one.

The Big Eight had its own problems; specifically, solid programs located in relatively small markets. Its schools recruited well in Texas; what it wanted next was an actual footprint in the state.

And so, on Feb. 24, 1994, the Big Eight officially became, starting in 1996, the Big 12, with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State joining the four Texas schools in the South Division; the North Division included Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State.

And so they've lived unhappily ever after.

Big Eight members, particularly Nebraska, bristled as the UT-led foursome from the SWC pushed for—and got—tougher academic standards for athletes, relocation of the league office from Kansas City, Mo., to Dallas, as well as a conference championship game in football.

The traditional Oklahoma-Nebraska football rivalry became just another twice-in-four-years rotation game. Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma—bitter non-conference rivals before the merger—grew no chummier as partners, as evidenced by Sooners football coach Bob Stoops' visit to Alabama as the Crimson Tide prepared to face the Longhorns for the Bowl Championship Series title in January.

Texas' every-school-for-itself approach when it comes to TV deals outside the league's network contracts also rankles followers of the Other 11. As for those network deals, they pale in comparison to those negotiated by the SEC and Big Ten.

In short, there's a reason fans of Big 12 schools don't, a la SEC fans in similar situations, chant "Big 12! Big 12!" during high-profile non-conference victories. The league's shotgun-wedding roots run deep, and subsequent years have not led to sweeter relations.

In fact, the talk in recent weeks has not been whether the Big 12 will dissolve, but when. ...

UT knows its status as both bad guy in public perception and, befitting its Longhorn mascot, cash cow. Simply put, it won't fight a Big 12 breakup, but does not want to be the first domino to crash.

Texas, in the minds of approximately 11/12ths of the Big 12, is the cause of every evil from biblical plagues to either global warming or the ludicrous global warming hoax, depending on which side you’re on (regardless, each side probably hates Texas).

Take the Big 12 Network, or lack thereof. It never will get off the ground as long as Texas is in the conference. Part of the recent north-end expansion project at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium was devoted to sparkling new TV production facilities, but with the school's own proposed cable/satellite network in mind.

The size of its alumni base and sports following makes Texas one of the few schools that, in theory, could support its own network.

Suite101 helps you discover home ideas, DIY crafts, gardening, food, style inspiration, how-tos and other ideas to make your life better.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                Why Virginia instead Virginia Tech?

Virginia is the state's flagship university and one of the best public universities in the country. It's also closer to the major population centers in Virginia, so I'm assuming it would be better at delivering those TV markets.
                Nah, both are public universities but Tech has a larger enrollment and alumni, as far as I'm aware. Both get all their games shown here, but UVA seems to show up on the crappy network with all the other ****ty ACC football games (Duke-Wake Forest ) more often than Tech. So I don't think geographical distance is a factor within the state. UVA probably gets more attention in Maryland with their rivalry though.

And yeah, academically UVA is rather more selective than VT, so not really a fit with the SEC on those grounds.
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Here's a quick overview of Big 12 tensions, MRT...

It's OK for Big 10 and Pac 10 to have conference television packages, but if Big 12 is setting up the same thing, you flap your lips. You away, boy.

Comment

• You're a complete ****ing ******, Sloww. I'm complaining about the Big 12's lack of a quality conference TV package, which is Texas' fault! Reading is fundamental, you mental defective...

You away, boy.

KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Michigan is hosed. The NCAA is accusing them of 5 major violations for spending too much time in practice.

USC probably is hosed. A few days ago there was an infractions committee hearing regarding improper payments to Reggie Bush.

Both ND's rival and the normally 2nd toughest program on ND's schedule are getting hit.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• They'll get a slap on the wrist, at worst.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Bring me the head of Rich Rodriguez.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Pete Carroll is a lot like Jimmy Johnson, leaves the program in a ****pile over things he did.

Comment

• Damn; it looks like Notre Dame will be taking the 12th spot in the Big Ten after all...

KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Damn; it looks like Notre Dame will be taking the 12th spot in the Big Ten after all...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ion/index.html
                                That's not what I take away from that story... It is just a typical, we are going to keep our options open, story.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X