Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reis: stop acting like a moron. The NCAA doesn't award college football titles.

QFT. If USC is stripped of their 2004 title (which I'm not even sure is possible), then there's no national champ for that season.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The NCAA handed the University of Southern California a two-year postseason football ban and vacated wins in Reggie Bush's final season, among other penalties, for violations in its football, men's basketball and women's tennis programs on Thursday.

The University of Southern California has received a two-year bowl ban and a sharp loss of football scholarships in a report on the NCAA's four-year investigation of the school.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Also,

The NCAA found that Bush was ineligible beginning at least by December 2004, a ruling that could open discussion on the revocation of his Heisman Trophy. Members of the Heisman Trophy Trust have said they might review Bush's award if he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
        I could be wrong but I believe Vince Young was the runner-up that year.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• 30 scholarships. Is that the most ever handed down?

The penalties include:

Four years of probation
          A two-year football postseason ban
          Vacation of regular-season and postseason wins for all three sports
          Scholarship reductions in football (to 15 initial grants and 75 total grants for each of the 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years, which represents a decrease of 10 scholarships for each of the three seasons)
          Scholarship reductions in men’s basketball (from 13 to 12 for the 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years)
          Recruiting restrictions for men’s basketball
          The institution also must pay a $5,000 penalty and forfeit revenue from the 2008 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

Also imposed are limitations for the access granted to boosters and non-university personnel to team charters, sidelines, practices, locker rooms and camps for men’s basketball and football. The university must also disassociate itself from three boosters, including the former football and men’s basketball student-athletes involved in this case.

As a part of this disassociation, the university will not be able to accept financial contributions or other assistance for the athletics department from these individuals or provide them with any benefit and privileges.

In addition, the assistant football coach received a one-year show-cause penalty, which prohibits him from engaging in any recruiting activity with prospective student-athletes.

The violations span almost four years, primarily involving agent and amateurism issues for a former football student-athlete and a former men’s basketball student-athlete. The committee noted that the violations in this case strike at the heart of the NCAA amateurism principal, which states that intercollegiate athletics should be motivated primarily by education and its benefits.

Regarding the individuals who triggered NCAA agent rules and the former student-athletes in this case, the committee stated, “Their actions also threatened the efforts of the NCAA and its member institutions to sponsor and support amateur competition at the collegiate level.”

The findings in this case include a lack of institutional control, impermissible inducements, extra benefits, exceeding coach staff limits, and unethical conduct by an assistant football coach.

According to the public report, “The general campus environment surrounding the violations troubled the committee.” When citing the lack of institutional control finding, the committee noted the university failed to heed clear warning signs; did not have proper procedures in place to monitor rules compliance; failed to regulate access to practice and facilities, including locker rooms; and in some instances failed to take an active stance or investigate concerns. As a result, three individuals who triggered NCAA agent rules committed violations involving the former football and men’s basketball student-athletes.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• 30 scholarships. Is that the most ever handed down?

Not even close...

SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.

KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Thanks. You're right, it's not close. On the other hand, it's still pretty bad.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Vince Young for Heisman?

Comment

• Who freaking cares?
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Texas fans?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Notre Dame fans, although I haven't heard any ND fans wish Bush's Heisman to be rescinded.

Comment

• Pete Carroll, ship abandoner.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Well, you didn't really believe he was desperate to leave the ultimate cush gig in SoCal to get his hands on the storied Seahawks franchise, did you?
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• There are much worse gigs than Seattle, but point well taken. By the way, his response is bizarre.

Comment

• Pete Carroll always seems very disingenuous. Maybe it's just because of his personality. I don't know.

Comment

• He and Jimmy Johnson are just alike. Twins of different mothers.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X