Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, and no. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Notre Dame would be willing (and, perhaps compelled) to join a conference (probably the Big Ten) if the Big Ten were to expand by more than one school.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I think the AD is trying to keep his options open -- never say never. But the AD doesn't make the real football decisions at ND. And I think the school would be better served to be clear about its wishes (it doesn't wish to join a conference in football) and to help direct the outcome to suit its needs.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• How clear to they need to say it?

"We're trying like hell to maintain our football independence," Swarbrick said. "I think it's good for college football and it's good for Notre Dame."
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• On the other hand, he's right about:

"What if realignment impacted the shape of the BCS?" he said. "Also, the Big East has been a great home for us [in other sports], but if there are fundamental changes to the Big East as a result of realignment, what does that do? What if a few conferences further distinguish themselves from the field? What are the competitive ramifications of that?

There has been plenty of tension in the Big East between the football and basketball sides. Remember there are a number of non-football teams in the Big East and losing a football & basketball school may have consquences in tipping the balance one way or another. ND would be directly impacted by any change in the Big East. One can imagine that other big time football & basketball conferences would probably not accept ND joining all sports except football.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I think that this is Exhibit A on why it doesn't make sense to bring up hypotheticals or to answer hypotheticals. It just makes ND's attitude appear very passive and invites attacks on its football independence.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• While I sure hope that Notre Dame maintains its retarded insistence on independence and lets Nebraska have the 12th spot in the Big Ten, I don't think they're that stupid. The academic leaders at Notre Dame already wanted to join the Big Ten in 1999 and now the athletic leaders surely have to see the immense monetary benefits of joining. Notre Dame is going to join the Big Ten, if asked...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Their contract with NBC runs through 2015 (it was extended 5 years beyond the original 2010 end back in 2008)

While NBC might be willing to bail on it since the ratings have continued to decline (actually, fall off of the end of the table), this contract is a big roadblock for them joining a conference. It provides them with tons of money, and provides bennifits in revenue far beyond the football program.

While a conference might make sense when it comes to a possibly revised BCS that might put ND's current status at risk, they still are doing great in terms of revenue compared to most schools.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Notre Dame would make a lot more money (a lot) by getting in on the Big Ten's TV contract. Sticking with the NBC contract for revenue purposes would be absolutely stupid.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Yeah... they might make more, but how much?
                    As it stands right now here are the current revenue figures:

Here’s the Top 10, according to Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal, using figures from the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act.

1. Texas: $72.95 million
                    2. Georgia: $67.05 million
                    3. Florida: $66.01 million
                    4. Ohio State: $65.16 million
                    5. Notre Dame: $59.77 million
                    6. Auburn: $59.67 million
                    7. Michigan: $57.46 million
                    8. Alabama: $57.37 million
                    9. Penn State: $53.76 million
                    10. LSU: $52.68 million
                    They are doing quite well right now. And who knows how the TV contract would work. The Big 10 surely isn't going to let them keep their NBC contract money and then share in the Big 10 contract. There would have to be some mutual sharing of both contracts, or ND might have to drop their NBC contract (which I'm not sure is possible at this point) The picture is really fuzzy on what would happen.

The point is, their is no rush to jump to a conference at the moment as can be seen from the numbers above and the fact they are in like flint with the current BCS system.

Now, a closing window of opportunity could make them jump, or a change in the conferences so big that the BCS would have to reevaluate their system... But money alone is no reason to jump at this moment.

And that's pretty much what ND is saying... they are keeping their options open for now.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Yeah... they might make more, but how much?

About $13 million more a year, and that's without factoring in the increased Big Ten Network revenues that would result if Notre Dame joined the conference.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• You can't say that for sure... is there some source you are using to support that?

The whole NBC contract issue throws a cloud over everything. Are you assuming that they will be able to keep all of that revenue and still share equally in the Big 10 contract? I highly doubt that will be the case.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

• You can't say that for sure...

Of course I can. We know how much Notre Dame made from its NBC contract last year (~$9 million) and how much each team in the Big Ten made last year from their TV contract (~$22 million). Just because you're ignorant on the subject doesn't meant that I am.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Gee, you can read contracts figures like everybody else, you must be really smart.
                            But you are making assumptions that the ND would be able to get their equal share of the Big Ten contract. This may not be the case due to the NBC contract. They may not be able to get out of that contract.

So unless you are a corporate lawyer and know all the details of all the contracts, and can see the future to see how the negotiations will go, you are just making up your answer based on one small part of the puzzle...
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

• But you are making assumptions that the ND would be able to get their equal share of the Big Ten contract.

Why the hell wouldn't they? The Big Ten divides its TV revenue equally with all member schools.

God, I knew I shouldn't have clicked to unignore your post. I really don't need to deal with your stupidity once again.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• So... you can see the future... you know in advance how the negotations will go. You know how this will effect the NBC contract, which runs through 2015. I'm amazed.

There is no doubt they would make more money... but as to the exact amount...

And like usual, somebody points out something that is contrary to your "OPINION" and you resort to insults instead of reasonable discussion. Pretty typical of you... and no real suprise.
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X