Garland golfer dies trying to retrieve ball at Richardson course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garland golfer dies trying to retrieve ball at Richardson course

What with lightening and these cliffs, I guess golf is an extreme sport.

04:58 PM CDT on Saturday, October 3, 2009

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

A 61-year-old man was fatally injured Friday after falling over an embankment while trying to retrieve his golf ball at Sherrill Park Golf Course, police said.

The man was identified as William Michael Grant of Garland.

Sgt. Kevin Perlich said Grant was playing in a golf tournament when he overshot a green.

Police said Grant was trying to get the stray ball when witnesses saw him slip and fall about 10 feet.

An ambulance was called for him about 4:15 p.m., and he was pronounced dead about an hour later at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Perlich said it appeared that Grant broke his neck, but that had not been confirmed by the medical examiner's office.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

LOL, I'm been meaning to play that course, now I can tell my buddies, it is "killer!"
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I wonder why he went to Parkland? In Richardson, from Garland, but let's run him across town to Parkland.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Considering golf a "sport".
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Considering golf a "sport".
          At least, unlike hockey, it uses a ball.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
              At least, unlike hockey, it uses a ball.

ACK!
              I see.

Where does track and field fit in your sport hierarchy?

If golf is a sport so are darts and shuffleboard.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The Olympics say golf is a sport, again.

Comment

yay

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    The Olympics say golf is a sport, again.
                    Surely this isn't a serious argument?

Have you seen the list of Olympic events?

Comment

I made a true observation and no more.

Comment

Is mall walking an Olympic sport yet?

Comment

Is snowboarding? Yes. BMX? Yes. Mountain bike racing? Yes. Badminton? Yes. Bobsleigh? Yes. Synchronized swimming? Yes.
                          Curling? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                          X