Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe I'm thinking about giving up the Kak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe I'm thinking about giving up the Kak.

In my keeper fantasy baseball league I have Nick Markakis ("The Kak", pronounced like "cake") and Javier Vazquez. My long-term plans were about riding The Kak's bright career to ultimate perennial victory. Vazquez was intended to be a quality acquisition for this season only.

But now Markakis is under-performing, and Vazquez is red hot. Next season I just know Vazquez will be nearer to the top of all of my cheat sheets than Markakis, so I will feel like an IDIOT if I keep Markakis.

However, pitching is a year-to-year crap-shoot, you never know if the Ace pitcher you are counting on is going to go all Brandon Webb or Francisco Liriano on you, and destroy your season. Yet some pitchers are able to produce high-quality seasons for many years, Johan Santana for instance.

Nick Markakis is still only 25, two years from his presumed PEAK of physical power. But he spun his wheels in 2009 and looks less likely to achieve to 30 to 40 HRs/season I am hoping for. He might be far more ordinary than I was thinking.

Poly party people, what should I do?
    You fool! Keep Nick Markakis and his massive 4-tool potential!
    80.00%
    You fool! Keep Javier Vazquez and his clean pitching + consistent humongous K/9!
    20.00%

Your man-love for the Kak will guide your answer.

Comment

I went with "You fool! Keep Javier Vazquez and his clean pitching + consistent humongous K/9!"
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd keep Markakis, myself. Sure he's been a bit down from expectations, but lots of potential there. His peak is very soon. Vazquez, who knows if he'll be the same pitcher next year.

Here are Vazquez's ERA+ in the last 6 seasons:

2003: 139
        2004: 92
        2005: 100
        2006: 98
        2007: 127
        2008: 98
        2009: 144

Seems to be pretty inconsistant.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He was pitching for the Chicago White Sox for several years, which is a notorious hitter's park. And American League batters are way better than National League batters. Since he's pitching to more NL players, he improves.

Comment

That's why I used ERA+, which is normalized for park and league effects.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'd keep Markakis. I don't trust Vasquez.

Looking at the ERA+ numbers, I'd say he's extremely consistent -- at following a good season with a mediocre-to-bad one. I must admit, that 144 for this year is awesome. Maybe the lightbulb has gone on, but I don't believe it.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

However, pitching is a year-to-year crap-shoot
                WTF, you admit it here?!?!?!

BTW, you had better keep the Kak (Pronounced ****) because Javy Vasquez's arm will probably fall off next year and land on Chipper's foot, placing them both on the 60 day DL.

(Which is why I'm not keeping Chipper)
                Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Holy ****! I haven't seen a ****ing forum censor thingy in so damn long I don't know what to do with myself...

P.S. It's really too bad I didn't get some of you Poly guys into our league when I had the chance...

Comment

Our "beer and pretzels" league, you mean?

Comment

That would be the one. The beer and pretzels league with the completely arcane keeper system that only three people understand (One of which is looney and the another obsessive compulsive)...

Comment

Did you just call me an obsessive-compulsive?!?

I prefer the term "aspergersy".

I am still thinking about this, Vazquez earned the spot in 2009, that's for sure, while Markakis was very borderline (and is tanking down the stretch -- notice I've made some contingency moves this morning, don't tell you-know-who!)

Comment

Working...
                        X