Oh, gawd. "Former NFLer Herschel Walker signed with Strikeforce"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, gawd. "Former NFLer Herschel Walker signed with Strikeforce"

I suppose no one has him in Dead Pool? This might have been acceptable for him, 20 years ago.

Herschel Walker, the Heisman Trophy-winning running back and former NFL player with the Minnesota Vikings and Dallas Cowboys, has found a new career: mixed martial arts. The 47-year-old Walker has signed a contract with Strikeforce to fight at an unspecified date. He will begin training with American Kickboxing Academy, the high-profile camp in San Jose, Calif., that trains UFC standouts Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, Jon Fitch, Cain Velasquez and Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

"I've been training for several years. I would play college football games on Saturday and then compete in martial arts tournaments on Sunday after church. I'm now looking forward to opening up another chapter in my life and to competing in MMA," said Walker in a news release.

Walker is not the first high-profile athlete to make the jump to MMA. In the current season of "The Ultimate Fighter," four former NFL players are trying for a chance at a contract with the UFC, most notably Marcus Jones, who played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for seven years. Cleveland Cavaliers star Shaquille O'Neal has trained in mixed martial arts for years, and made jokes about challenging former UFC champ Chuck Liddell.

That doesn't mean that the road to MMA success will be easy for Walker, who retired from football in 1997. During last week's episode of "The Ultimate Fighter," Jones became sick from the intense workouts that MMA requires. Afterwards, he noted that he never had to work that hard in the NFL.

Walker will also have the obstacle of age in front of him. Though there are fighters who compete well into their forties -- most notably Randy Couture, who is 46 -- but those fighters did not spend much of their lives being tackled by 265 pound linebackers. The wear and tear on a running back should not be dismissed when looking at Walker's chances.

At the same time, it will be hard not to root for him. He's been an MMA fan for years, and was even at UFC 103 this past weekend in Dallas. Walker is a modern-day Jim Thorpe, having competed in the Olympic bobsled, professional football and now MMA. Now, he will test the bounds of his age and health again in MMA. Seeing a 47-year-old man walk the walk in this manner is downright inspirational.
    says the ambulance chaser.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Didn't he retire from the NFL because his body was shot?
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Cleveland Cavaliers star Shaquille O'Neal

That phrase is going to take some getting used to ...

... has trained in mixed martial arts for years, and made jokes about challenging former UFC champ Chuck Liddell.

Pffft. Chuck is a light heavyweight. But what about Shaq vs Brock?
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I hate that Brock guy. I only saw one night of that crap and he was on it. He sucks.
          Mr. Billy Badass. Screw him.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Strikeforce is a joke that is destined to fail. All this does is give the media and boxing promoters something else to laugh about when he looks like a fool. I'm waiting for Affliction to crumble so Fedor can join the UFC.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Brock Lesnar is a serious fighter who's been devastating in the ring. I think the only question is how will he do against other experienced fighters his size, if there are any.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Maybe someone will come out of the current season of TUF to challenge Lesnar. I doubt Fedor will ever join.

Comment

Walker is going to have his ass severely kicked. Good fighters should have a base in two of three areas: (1) wrestling/grappling, (2) striking, and (3) submission. He has none of the above.

Same applies to the heavyweights on TUF. Man, that Wagner guy got brutally pwned!

Comment

That was a nice split in his forehead.

Comment

I would say good fighters need a base in all aspects of MMA and need to be really good in one or more areas.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

O yea, defo, the great ones are versatile enough to go with any style area. I'd consider someone like GSP to be the prototypical fighter.

The sport's still going through a maturation phase and can only get better

Comment

I think they accidently gave away the winner of the latest UF in a commercial I saw. OTOH it could have been a sleep deprived hallucination. Either way I wont ruin it for y'all.

Comment

I couldn't believe Rampage picked Kimbo Slice first.

Comment

Rampage picked a pretty crappy team overall.

Comment

Working...
                              X