No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of my players have been slumping-ish too: Semin (demoted from Ovechkin's line, it's killing me), and Stastny has only 1A all week.

Add in the fact that I got screwed with the number of goalie games, and I'm surprised I did as well as I did.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Couple of my players have been slumping-ish too: Semin (demoted from Ovechkin's line, it's killing me), and Stastny has only 1A all week.

Add in the fact that I got screwed with the number of goalie games, and I'm surprised I did as well as I did.
      Then its win-win

Oh and I don't see how you got screwed on goalie games. The schedule was as it is and you still have about the same chance at sv%-- Wins was the one where fewer games was the bigger handicap and, to me, running two goalies is a choice that will lead to ceding the wins category from time to time.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• My two goalies combined played a grand total of 3 games over a period of 7 days. That's what I mean by screwed by goalie games, due to the NHL's weird schedule. I'm very lucky I even got the minimum goalie games in with two healthy goaltenders. It's ridiculous.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

My two goalies combined played a grand total of 3 games over a period of 7 days. That's what I mean by screwed by goalie games, due to the NHL's weird schedule. I'm very lucky I even got the minimum goalie games in with two healthy goaltenders. It's ridiculous.

Ridiculous ?? Perhaps

although I bet if you looked you will find other 4 start weeks for your pairing. And with Conklin being someone who has often been a real backup, it cannot shock you if he sees 30 starts this year. Its not like Chris Mason has years of 60+ starts.

Oh and if this few starts bothered you that much you could have exercised some due diligence and drafted differently. Personally I thought you had made a conscious decision to ride Luongo in the hopes he would win you sv% most weeks. If one keeper alone can essentially split the goalie categories, you could hope your additional skater would let you carry the day offensively
          Last edited by Flubber; October 18, 2009, 17:16.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Yeah, that was the idea. I thought with the compressed NHL schedule the minimum goalie games per week issue would be mitigated, but the schedule is just stupid.

The Flames are currently on their longest homestand in franchise history in terms of calendar days with very few games played during it.

Comment

The Flames are currently on their longest homestand in franchise history in terms of calendar days with very few games played during it.

All we can hope is that Brent Sutter's much-heralded coaching can have an impact during a period when they should practice LOTS-- There ahs been much talk abouty new systems and better defense but it hasn't appeared yet. I like to think it will though. Having seen the obvious talent of a Bouwmeester and knowing Regehr and sarich have been good shuit down guys in the past, I have high hopes that this is just a bit of a funk and that the team WILL be good defensively

Comment

• They apparently spent the entire last practice on special teams, something Keenan (obviously) never did.

The Flames have the 2nd best PP in the league (clicking at 33%), but 16th best PK. I think the couple goals near the end of the Vancouver game spurred him into working on the PK, which is a good thing.

Comment

• Freddy Sjostrom just scored a SICK goal.

I'll find it on YouTube later. It'll be on all the highlight reals tonight.

What a pickup he's been. 5 pts so far this season already. And to think we got him mostly for the PK.

Comment

Freddy Sjostrom just scored a SICK goal.

I'll find it on YouTube later. It'll be on all the highlight reals tonight.

What a pickup he's been. 5 pts so far this season already. And to think we got him mostly for the PK.

It was a great looking goal-- amazing that he can make THAT play and only have scored one goal in his last gazillion games

Flames generally were reasonably good-- They got outshot as usual and went to sleep for parts of the second period-- But more solid d for most of the game plus Iggy showing up as a force for pretty much the first time this season-- Mason being less than fantastic helped too

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                      It was a great looking goal-- amazing that he can make THAT play and only have scored one goal in his last gazillion games
                      It was pretty... flukey.

That was not a well placed shot from a high skill release.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• It seemed to have been well-placed to me, considering it lit the lamp.

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It seemed to have been well-placed to me, considering it lit the lamp.

I'm saying it looks to me like blind luck that the play resulted in a goal.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              It was pretty... flukey.

That was not a well placed shot from a high skill release.
                              Given his failure to consistently score I guess you could consider any goal he gets to be a fluke. I just thought the goal was impressive as

1. he took a long hard pass on the fly without losing speed despite the fact that it was essentialy on the other side of him from the direction he was going

2. he stayed in control through his spin around-- lots of folks would lose the puck during a high speed turn

3. The shot? I don't see what would make it higher skill. yes it was along the ice but against a goalie who is down with his leg already fully extended, a shot just outside that leg is the best spot possible

Any one of those things are moderately common. You will see a better pass reception, a better spin -around or a better shot from time to time. But what I found impressive was that he combined all three elements on the one play to make what would be a highlight reel type goal.

IN any event I find it hilarious that this version of the Flames are being considered a "run and gun" type team now. Their current success is for all the opposite reasons from what was preached all summer. I expect the coaching staff is not at all pleased with the Flames play thus far.

I know I am not. They are wildly inconsistent and cannot hold leads. They have won some games due to poor goaltending by the opposing team. (For example, Mason was pretty bad last night.) They have yet to show any ability to shut down opposing teams. Hell the least shots allowed in a game so far is 28 -- and thats too many. My fear is that on any night facing a good keeper, this style of play will fail.

On the upside . .. Nice to see Iggy look good-- Apart fromm the points he did seem more involved in the play. Langkow seemed bettter as well-- perhaps his goal energized him a bit

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                I'm saying it looks to me like blind luck that the play resulted in a goal.
                                It's certainly a goal unlike I've ever seen Hemsky score.

Comment

Working...
                                X