• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafa

is out at the French Open.

wtf?

Discuss.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Who cares...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He is quite possibly the greatest clay court player in history, he had never lost a single match at Roland Garros, and he was defeated in the 4th round by a man who barely knows what clay is. This is big, man.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It must have been important. It got about 8 seconds coverage on sports center.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah... it is big. He was getting toasted on sports radio for losing to a "nobody"

It just seems like tennis is no longer a big thing in the US. There used to be a lot more excitement for the French Open and the other Majors. It used to do better ratings than Hockey Now, nobody really seems to get into it. I probably follow Women's Tennis more than the Men. The men seem pretty boring to me
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

I watched sets 2-4 of that match. Shocking.

The guy who beat him wasn't a "nobody" but it was a massive upset.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
              I watched sets 2-4 of that match. Shocking.

-Arrian
              I didn't have a chance to see the match. Do you think it had more to do with Nadal's play or Soderling's?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                My nobody in quotes comment was meant more to point out the stupidity of the average sports radio announcer than my own thoughts on the matter.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Admittedly, I don't follow tennis at all, but when I saw the news even I said, "holy ****!"
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I watched sets 3 and 4 on a ****ty stream with Mexican commentators after being alerted that something was up. It was a great tennis match! Nadal got outplayed and outworked. Even when he seemed to come back in the tiebreak it was only very temporary.

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    Do you think it had more to do with Nadal's play or Soderling's?
                    As usual, it is a bit of both. Söderling had many more winners as well as unforced errors, and he seemed to have more energy than Nadal. They really don't like each other since a while back, which might also have factored in. Maybe he got in his head.

Söderling is a player that always had great potential which never seemed to really come out. He's been solidly top 30 for a while, not a nobody but not a top contender either (until now at least).

Comment

Also, Haas - Federer today, damn. The world seemed to be on its way to turn upside down.

Comment

And Andy Murray's in the QF. Amazing.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Maybe it isn't actually clay this year.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            I didn't have a chance to see the match. Do you think it had more to do with Nadal's play or Soderling's?
                            I'd say it was more Soderling than Nadal. It didn't seem to me that Nadal gave away the match - not at all. Soderling went out and beat him. He made a lot of risky shots (he had to if he wanted to win), and it payed off.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I only got to see a few games in the match, but I'm very happy with the result. I've never liked Nadal.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X