Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US played according to ability. It didn't last all the way, but they did a good job and I'm impressed

Playing possession and short passing is what technical teams do. Once the Brazilians started playing for each other and seemed like they were interested few could have stopped them.

Comment

Damn... ah well, the US showed something good in this tourney at least.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I didn't start watching until the second half (my kid had a little league playoff game) and seeing how the US was playing, I was honestly surprised they were ahead. They looked very flat in the second half. Too bad - nice to see them make a FIFA final for the first time though. Hopefully bodes well for the future of US soccer.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Why did the game sound like a bee's nest? It was really annoying the crap out of me.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
            Why did the game sound like a bee's nest? It was really annoying the crap out of me.
            The vuvuzela:

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
              No, they didn't. Brazil just overwhelmed them.
              Bull****. They got away from what gave them a 2-0 lead in the first place and reverted to the same style of play that got them beat 3-0 by Brazil divisional play.

It's no coincidence that they almost scored after Brazil went up 3-2, they tried to attack again.

ACK!

Comment

I hate when people who don't know anything about soccer try to break down strategy.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I hate when people who don't know anything about soccer try to break down strategy.
                  Me too, thank god you didn't try.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                    The vuvuzela:

ACK!
                    I really, really hope it isn't like that for the World Cup. Ugh. It isn't like they are just making noise at dramatic moments or anything. There is just this constant hum no matter what happens in the game. It was driving me crazy.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

QFT!

On another forum I post on, Marc Vaughan, the guy who created Championship Manager and Football Manager, who knows something about football strategy praised Bradley's coaching and attributed Brazil's comeback to, quite simply, the exhausting fatigue it takes to have a full press against a superior talented team for the length of a game. You start getting tired and the press isn't as tight, leading to space that a more superior talent team can exploit.

He also talked about how Bradley saw the strengths of his team and tailored a great strategy in order to give them great chances against Spain and Brazil.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        I really, really hope it isn't like that for the World Cup. Ugh. It isn't like they are just making noise at dramatic moments or anything. There is just this constant hum no matter what happens in the game. It was driving me crazy.
                        If you've ever watched African football..... it'll be like that for the World Cup.

Comment

I love it when Americans post about 'soccerball'.

WTF is 'divisional play'?

And isn't a 'full press' something you do in the gym? As least I can vaguely translate "top-end the spheroid into the onion-bag".

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            If you've ever watched African football..... it'll be like that for the World Cup.
                            I used to watch the ACN and it was nothing like that. I'll be watching the World Cup with the sound off. Which is probably of extra benefit if John Motson is still commentating for the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                              I love it when Americans post about 'soccerball'.

WTF is 'divisional play'?

And isn't a 'full press' something you do in the gym? As least I can vaguely translate "top-end the spheroid into the onion-bag".
                              'Full press' is a basketball term in which every player man-marks another player. Completely unrealistic in football, unless you never plan to score, or have Usain Bolt up front marking Douglas Bader...

It seems that Ole Red Nose has finally gone senile, but why couldn't this have happened a year ago, giving us hatloads of cash to blow on (some) useful players?
                              Last edited by duke o' york; July 3, 2009, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post

It seems that Ole Red Nose has finally gone senile, but nwhy couldn't this have happened a year ago, giving us hatloads of cash to blow on (some) useful players?
                                Because he's only senile and not completely gone?

At first I was thinking "well, he did pass the medical", but then so did Hargreaves. Still, Owen is a pretty good gamble on a free.
                                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Working...
                                X