Should Vick be allowed to play again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Vick be allowed to play again?

Michael Vick was released from federal prison in Leavenworth, Kan.. at about 5 a.m. ET Wednesday morning and is expected to head back to his home in Hampton, Va.

no thread on such big news?

Anyways I was a harsh critic of Vick. I really thought he was hugely overrated and disliked all the attention he got. No QB deserves that kind of attention until they get a superbowl ring on their finger. I feel he lacked the discipline to really win a superbowl. But he's got talent. No doubt about it. As for the dogfighting, I was glad to see him go down. I hate it when celebrities get off on stuff (cough- OJ).

But now I feel he's did his time. And if he's genuine as the article says about working with the humane society on a program to get rid of dogfighting among urban youths, then I say give him another chance. I really hope they get that program running. Because dogfighting is becoming real big among gangs where I live. And it seems like every ******* has a pitbull (dogs I absolutely hate). Why do people feel the need to have killer dogs? I think they are antisocial sadistical people. but I digress. He's done his time, and I do like the fact that he voluntarily checked himself into prison.

He's living in Hampton now. A city I lived in while I was in the navy. I believe he also grew up in Newport News. Another city (pretty much the same city lol) I lived in. Our ship was in the yards on 32nd street. There are some tough areas there, but nothing too bad. Just poor.

The real question is he in shape. The article doesn't even mention that lol. I assume he worked out in prison. But did he watch NFL films? He's almost 30 too. So the question will be if he still has talent, and physical ability to perform at a high level. I believe his superbowl capabilities are nil, but he coudl prove to be a decent qb for a team and get them to the playoffs.
    Yes
    86.36%
    No
    4.55%
    Vick who?
    4.55%
    only if he proves he's changed and remorseful as PETA's suggestion in the article
    4.55%

He's paid his debt, etc. He might not have the skill to be a starting qb anymore (since he wasn't that great skill-wise anyway) but he should have the athleticism to play another position if he has/can learn the skills.

Originally posted by Dis View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4183786No QB deserves that kind of attention until they get a superbowl ring on their finger.
    So you'd go with Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino?
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

He's a punk, and all the contrition is courtesy of his publicist.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
        He's paid his debt, etc. He might not have the skill to be a starting qb anymore (since he wasn't that great skill-wise anyway) but he should have the athleticism to play another position if he has/can learn the skills.

So you'd go with Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino?
        lol well... Dilfer wasn't that bad was he? I remember hearing something on a sportscast not too long ago dissing him. He does have a ring after all. Yes I know the defense essentually won the superbowl, but he did throw some passes to get there, and in the game itself.

Marino simply has too many records to be ignored. Although I think Favre passed alot of Marino's records. I believe he still holds some major ones, however.

Comment

Many NFL players have been convicted of crimes in the past and then came back to the game, I see no reason why Vick shouldn't be allowed to attempt to continue his career. ESPN had a nice commentary on this subject. It comes down to winning... if Vick comes back and "wins", the people will forgive him. See Ray Lewis as your classic example
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, Ray Lewis was never convicted, if I remember correctly.

However, you are right. He's served his time. If a team wants to sign him, they should sign him. However, we, as fans, can choose whether or not to cheer for him. I certainly wouldn't were he to play for the Lions. Which, honestly, would be a fitting punishment for him.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
              Well, Ray Lewis was never convicted, if I remember correctly.
              Yes... convicted of lesser charges on a plea bargin.

I certainly wouldn't were he to play for the Lions. Which, honestly, would be a fitting punishment for him.

Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ah, mea culpa re: Ray Lewis.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I certainly wouldn't were he to play for the Lions. Which, honestly, would be a fitting punishment for him.

True enough.

While I deplore what he did, there are a lot of people still playing that did equally if not worse stuff.
                  He should be allowed to. Now whether an owner want to take that chance, of if fans don't want to cheer him, that's their choice. But I will have to agree that if he comes back and is a winner, he'll get cut some slack.
                  But if he comes back and is mediocre or sucks, he's going to take a crap load of abuse, which will be deserved.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

From an ethical standpoint, I agree with everybody else here that he's paid the price the court system deemed appropriate, so he shouldn't be barred by the league from playing as a form of further punishment.

Guy touched on the more interesting question to me, though: is it a good business decision to let him come back? If the league decides it's not, they're well within their rights, and acting within their responsibilities, to keep him out. Personally, I always thought Vick was overrated to begin with, and don't think a Vick returning after this layoff would add significantly to the game, but if I'm right about that, the problem should solve itself if he's allowed to return. He'll probably wind up a Raider in that case, much to my chagrin, as Al tries to squeeze anything he possibly can from yet another castoff.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

He served his time, so yes. Peter King mentioned the possibility of a suspension, say 4 gms, for lying about his activities.

Now, whether he can make a team is another question.

@ playing for Lions - How about the Raiders?
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I guess he deserves the chance to play again, but if the 49ers sign him, I'll boycott the games. The Raiders or Cowboys are most likely to give him a call.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Bull****.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I doubt the Cowboys will show any interest.

Thank god the bears got Cutler, so we don't have to listen to any speculations in Chicago.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Vick is not a free agent; Atlanta still holds his rights. They will auction to the highest bidder.

It will take tremendous guts to perform under the scrutiny and pressure Vick will face from the fans, from the media. And perhaps more significantly, the on-field verbal abuse from fans and opponents.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X