The Top 5 Fan Assaults in Sports History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 5 Fan Assaults in Sports History

Hockey players and Cornhuskers punching dumbass fans.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

That Bruins-Rangers game was legendary. "Mad" Mike Milbury (who is now a famous commentator on Canada's sporting networks, and was also recently coach and GM) famously removed a fan's shoe and proceeded to beat him with it. I don't think it's in that video though. But it's on wikipedia:

He is well known for an incident which occurred on December 23, 1979, in a game against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Milbury followed his teammates into the stands during a brawl and took a spectator's shoe off. He then used the shoe to beat the spectator.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Imagine getting beaten by your own shoe. Well, that is what one unlucky New York Ranger fan experienced at the hands of former Boston Bruin "Mad" Mike Milbury...

Imagine getting beaten by your own shoe. Well, that is what one unlucky New York Ranger fan experienced at the hands of former Boston Bruin "Mad" Mike Milbury. In what could be described as another incident in the long Boston-New York sports rivalry, the "the shoe incident" will long be remembered as one of the funniest moments in sports.

The incident occurred immediately at the end of a 1979 game in which the Bruins defeated the Rangers 4-3. A Ranger player tried to pick a fight with Bruin Al Secord after final buzzer. Their scuffle occurred along the boards where members of both teams joined in to break up the scuffle. Words were exchanged between the players and that seemed to be all at the time.

All hell broke loose when a fan took a stick and hit Bruin Stan Jonathan from above the glass. Jonathan's teammate Terry O'Reilly immediately jumped into the stands and went after the fan. Soon other Ranger fans got involved, this prompted the Bruins to join O'Reilly in the stands to fight.

Bruin Peter McNabb went after a fan. Mike Milbury who thought that McNabb was in trouble grabbed the fan by the leg and in the process pulled one of his shoes off. Milbury then proceeded to hit the fan with his own shoe. After getting his licks in Milbury threw the shoe onto the ice ensuring that the fan would walk home without a shoe.

It was a true display of one teammate helping out another. This was also the night where Milbury earned his nickname "Mad" Mike Milbury and this being one of the funniest moments in sports.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ahh, the Big Bad Bruins... too bad the Flyers were tougher.

Milbury has never lived down beating on that guy with a shoe. He's a commentator now, and it comes up all the time. He still has the temper too. That's usually when the shoe comes up.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

That Bruins-Rangers game was legendary. "Mad" Mike Milbury (who is now a famous commentator on Canada's sporting networks, and was also recently coach and GM) famously removed a fan's shoe and proceeded to beat him with it. I don't think it's in that video though. But it's on wikipedia:

He is well known for an incident which occurred on December 23, 1979, in a game against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Milbury followed his teammates into the stands during a brawl and took a spectator's shoe off. He then used the shoe to beat the spectator.

He and McGuire also do NBC games. They are great when they get pissed at each other and start to argue.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Ah Mike Milbury, one of the most hated men in Long Island .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think the Nordiques beating is more bad ass. They beat the **** out of that guy before he even did anything, just because they didn't like how he looked.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That is a classic too. It's just less exciting to me because it's a typical hockey fight except it was with a fan inside.

An entire team entering the bleachers to assault fans, including one guy who is now a famous talking head removing the guy's shoot and then beating him with it, and finally throwing it back onto the ice to make the guy walk home without a shoe

Comment

An entire team entering the bleachers to assault fans

The Pacers ****ing up the Palace in Detroit is a better example of this, though.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The music is annoying, but this is a great fan assault:

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

(\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

(\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

I love those commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                              The music is annoying, but this is a great fan assault:

ACK!
                              What utter crap. They gave the win to "Momma's Boy".
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X