This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty strikes again

Edinson Volquez, he of the All Star season in his rookie year, is going to have Tommy John surgery and miss a year.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• 1. Red Sox get V. Martinez. Damn. Good trade. They didn't surrender their upper-tier prospects (Buccholtz, et al), but rather a couple of guys from the 2nd tier. That Masterson is "second tier" of course speaks well of their farm.

2. The Yankees don't counter (Jerry Hairston, Jr. so doesn't count, though he's better than Cody Ransom, who is inexplicably STILL ON THE ****ING ROSTER). I'm not surprised, as every article I read had every team asking for Hughes, Montero or at the very least Austin Jackson (apparently people still bother asking for Joba, which makes no sense really. Joba is in the rotation right now. The idea is to upgrade the rotation. Taking him out and adding another pitcher still leaves drek in the 5th spot). For, like, Jarrod Washburn? Um, no. If only Ian Kennedy wasn't hurt. I'd have been ok with parting with a package centered around 1 of the top-shelf guys (Hughes, Montero) if it meant getting an impact guy in return (Halladay, Lee, Holliday), but not a guy like Washburn or an injured NL West guy (Peavy, who is good I know, but with the injury and the difference between Petco and New Yankee Stadium and the league difference... I'd have worried big time). Apparently, JP said something like "Hughes, Montero and more" for Halladay. Pass.

The upshot is that I have to deal with watching (or hiding from watching) Sergio Mitre every five days until the organization finally calls it and puts Hughes back into the rotation. This was supposed to be the year we wouldn't need to run Syndey Ponson (Yankees fan shorthand for "crappy starter from the scrap heap") out there. Then again, the vaunted pitching depth in Boston hasn't been working very well either (Smoltz hasn't been appreciably better than Mitre, as far as I can tell. There is clearly more upside there, of course).

3. Losing 3 out of 4 in Chitown sucked. Given the pitching matchups (Pettitte and Mitre do not fill me with confidence), I'd have been fine with 2-2, but **** happens sometimes. That Beckham kid looks good.

4. 4 game series @ home vs. the Red Sox coming up. Will the Yankees win a game? I was hoping to be up 4 games at the start of the series...

-Arrian
      Last edited by Arrian; August 3, 2009, 16:31.
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Oh, and WTF? Angels? I swear they could run their AAA team out there and win. I've given up trying to figure out how.

As for the Reds, a GM of a team with good young pitching coming up who expresses a desire to hire Dusty Baker should be fired on the spot.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Look at the Angels lineup, Arrian. Maybe its that East Coast bias, but they are solid throughout. They have scored the most runs of any team in the AL (just passed the Yankees). Aside from Howie Kendrick (who has been decent since being recalled from AAA) and Vlad Guerrero (who's been mostly injuried), their lineup has OPS+'s from 113 to 140. Napoli (133 OPS+) and Morales (137 OPS+) have been real shots in the arm and are hitting like they were always supposed to (well, Napoli has always hit well, he just gets injured a bit).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• You know, it occurs to me that someday I'll be *****ing about these goddamned cyborg players and how things were pure and good in my day, when players were HUMAN, at least. The young guys will be arguing back about LASIK & other surgeries, steroids & HGH, etc.

Heh.

-Arrian

Comment

• Imran,

I know all that. I read Fangraphs. I watch baseball.

My point is that a lot of those guys are having seasons that pretty much nobody predicted. Abreu I saw coming - the man can still hit. Big upgrade in OBP there. Napoli has tremendous power and yeah, given health it makes some sense. Morales... was he supposed to hit like THIS? Hunter was also above his norm before he got hurt. Their backups are playing well. Random pitchers have been good. It's pretty amazing, really.

I wasn't trying to rip on the Angels. All I'm saying is that with their injuries, to be #1 in RS in the AL is incredible. So much so that I just can't deal. I'm going to put it down as "the Angels do **** like this" and let it go.

-Arrian

Comment

• Morales... was he supposed to hit like THIS?

Yes. Remember he was the cleanup hitter on Cuba's 2003 Baseball World Cup team... when he was 20. And he tore up the minors. He's just getting to where the Angels thought he'd be when they signed him after he defected.

And add two 130 OPS+ hitters in the middle of your lineup (well, Napoli was hitting that well last season, but got hurt) and it makes a HUGE difference.

Main problem for the Angels is that their pitching has sucked. But they are getting some injured pitchers back.

Comment

• Ok, let's try this again, shall we? I'll settle for a split.

-Arrian

Comment

• Continue here:

Comment

Working...
                    X