Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Baseball Reference notes Mark Prior as one of the most similar pitchers to him, you have to wonder...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• ... and Carlos Zambrano
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Kazmir's a little fragile, but he's no AJ Burnett. *cough* Christ, 5 years of that.

Anyway, it's certainly possible, Imran, that Price picks up some slack and helps them avoid a major pitching regression. I was just thinking they got awfully lucky last season on the injury front. Flipside is that several position players figure to be better this season (Crawford, Upton, maybe Longoria, and Burrell is a nice upgrade). They're definitely dangerous, and I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they took the division again.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Well, Upton played all of last season with a shoulder injury, which severly impacted his power numbers. And, of course, Percival was laid up for a big portion of the end of the season.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I specifically listed Upton as someone who figures to do better, along with Crawford. Percival wasn't a big deal and you know it. Their starting 5 made nearly every start and the rest of their bullpen had great (and unlikely to be repeated - not that they will suck, but unlikely to be THAT good) years.

Now, if they put Price in the 'pen...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Well, I was just responding to the "lucky with injuries" . You just had a group of people who played throughout the year with injuries that may have sidelined other players (being a Mets fan, I know it would have).

Percival was actually a fairly important piece. He wasn't wonderful, but he allowed the rest of the bullpen to set up in their properly defined roles. When he went down, it was a bit of mess as Wheeler blew a few saves and Balfour even struggled as they moved up the ladder.

Comment

• The Rays have made a couple of nice bargain pickups lately. Adam Kennedy as a backup 2B and they took a flier on Isringhausen.

The Yankees, meanwhile, haven't done much with their backup infield slot(s). They've had some bad benches of late, though not always for a lack of effort. This year looks like lack of effort w/respect to the infield. Angel Berroa? Cody Ransom? Ick.

The OF is a little different, as you have Damon, Swisher, Nady, Cabrera and Gardner. Assuming the Yanks really do pick one of Cabrera or Gardner to play CF (as opposed to running Swisher out there after watching the 9th spot in the lineup do an impression of the Pit of Despair), then you've got 3 guys for 2 corner spots, which makes for good flexibility.

-Arrian

Comment

• Pit of Despair

Comment

• If you needed further proof Manny Ramirez has no money sense:

Manny Ramirez put his Boston penthouse condominium on the market for $8.5 million on Wednesday.

He seems to think a condo that couldn't sell in 2005 at 6.9M has suddenly shot up in price due to the recent boom in real estate prices, to $8.5M ... err, wait a sec...

Comment

• Well, there is no evidence that he was "trying to sell it" in 2005. It could have been put on the market, then he made up with the Red Sox and then he pulled it off.

Some REALLY big news (other than Manny signing with LA, but we knew that would eventually happen):

Alex Rodriguez will have surgery to remove a cyst from his right hip and will be out 10 weeks, Rodriguez's brother told ESPNdeportes.com on Thursday.

A-Rod to have hip surgery, be out for 10 weeks. In a seemingly close AL East, quite a blow to the Yanks for the opening month.

Comment

• Wow... sucks to whomever drafted him in the first round

Comment

• Yep, that one definitely hurts. Not only is ARod the best position player on the team, but backup infield is the weakest. Cody Ransom is the replacement option. He's actually not completely terrible, but he's pretty bad. The dropoff is immense.

The best outside option I see is Mark Grudz. I can't spell the whole name, bah.

-Arrian

Comment

• So, the 'ole rest & rehab route. Flashbacks to spring last year, with Jorge Posada. Damn.

Flipside is that both Lowell and Utley played through hip labrum tears, and both played well (though Lowell played 2/3 of a season).

Of course, "rest and rehab" may be a smokescreen as Cashman tries to find a halfway decent replacement. That whiff of desperation you catch? It's nothing, nothing I say! Pay no attention! Look at this shiney Ian Kennedy...

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                              Yep, that one definitely hurts. Not only is ARod the best position player on the team, but backup infield is the weakest. Cody Ransom is the replacement option. He's actually not completely terrible, but he's pretty bad. The dropoff is immense.

The best outside option I see is Mark Grudz. I can't spell the whole name, bah.

-Arrian
                              What are the chances for a quick trade being worked out?

Comment

• Umm, Grudz is a free agent, isn't he? No trade needed?

Comment

Working...
                                X