This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These days?

If anything, the game was far more crooked early in the 20th century than now (especially with respect to gambling). And the middle decades of the 20th Century? Hell, we had stealing signs and illegal spitballs and all sorts of underhanded and cheating behavior.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• those were legit cheats though
      "

Comment

• Other decent sized deals: Blue Jays trade Scott Rolen to the Reds for Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Roenicke, & Zach Stewart.

Not exactly sure why the Reds are making this deal as they are no where near playoff contention

Nationals trade Nick Johnson to the Marlins for Aaron Thompson.

GREAT deal for the Marlins. Get a rental of Johnson (who is hitting well this season) to help with their playoff push (I think they are like 3 games back).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Stealing signs isn't the same. Spitballs...maybe they were the start of the road to now, but I still don't think it's the same. No one dies from spitting on a baseball, for one thing.
          That alone is enough to ban steroids.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            Stealing signs isn't the same. Spitballs...maybe they were the start of the road to now, but I still don't think it's the same. No one dies from spitting on a baseball, for one thing.
            That alone is enough to ban steroids.
            Yes, actually cheating (stealing signs) isn't the same as using steroids when they weren't banned . I mean the "Shot Heard Round the World" was partially the result of Giants players with binoculars in center field, relaying the pitch to Bobby Thompson.

And, hell, plenty of people live long lives after using steroids heavily. Look at Governor Schwarzenegger. It doesn't kill everyone.

Comment

• Hank Aaron thinks the steroid period should be asterisked. He batted against spitball pitchers.
              You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but remember that's all it is, your opinion.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                And this is the core reason of why things are the way they are these days.
                The end justifies the means. I ain't buying into that way of thinking.
                Then you refuse to acknowledge the history of baseball. I don't like it either, and legality is a different line to cross. But if PEDs were available in the 20s, they would have been used.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Hank Aaron is one to talk. He was on amphetamines. You know, speed, so he could get back "up" for games. There are reports of bottles of "red juice" in his locker.

He just wants his record and doesn't want to acknowledge his use of performance enhancing drugs.

Comment

• Interesting that Henry recently stated that Rose (another White Cross volunteer) should be allowed into the HOF.
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Pads release Mark Prior:

Kinda sad to see how Dusty Baker destroyed the arm of such a promising young pitcher

Comment

• Shades of David Clyde. That was before your time.

Comment

• This David Clyde?

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of David Clyde. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

Because he really wasn't good, Sloww.

Comment

• Looks like Holliday is really going to work out in StL . If they can resign him, him and Pujols will be an absolute force in the NL.

Oh, and Cliff Lee looked masterful for the Phils in his first start.

Comment

• Kevin Gregg is a worthless putz.

Just sayin'.

Comment

• Interestingly enough, the team with the best record in the American League is the Angels. They've been very hot lately, after struggling a bit with injuries early in the year. And that's with Guerrero under performing and injured. And of course, the team with the best record in the National League is the Dodgers. So Los Angeles area is witnessing some outstanding baseball this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X