• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Floats Idea of Adding 2nd Toronto NHL Team

Ruh-oh! Are the Leafs really that bad?

A second NHL team in Toronto?

DAVID SHOALTS

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

TORONTO — NHL governors are talking informally about placing a second hockey team in Toronto alongside the Maple Leafs, The Globe and Mail has learned.

“Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?” one of several NHL governors who spoke with The Globe anonymously said of the Greater Toronto Area.

According to this governor, one idea floated is for prospective owner Jim Balsillie to be rewarded with an expansion team in Toronto after helping to restore financial ballast to the Nashville Predators.

“I've heard this exact scenario,” a second governor said.

Calgary Flames co-owner Harley Hotchkiss, a former chairman of the NHL board of governors, is also aware of the Balsillie movement.

“I've heard bits and pieces of this scenario, although not in that kind of detail,” he said. “Our priority is to have the existing franchises solid.”

“[It is] an interesting scenario,” Mr. Hotchkiss added, “ but I can only speak generally.”

Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, said the organization would not automatically reject the idea of a second team in Toronto.

“When and if the league brings expansion to the table, we'll listen and decide what is best [for hockey],” he said.

As to the potential impact on the Maple Leafs, the first governor dismissively waved his hand. “The Maple Leafs would not be hurt one bit. In fact, it would help them. They could make all kinds of money renting the Air Canada Centre to the other team.”

Richard Rodier, a Toronto lawyer who acts as spokesman for Mr. Balsillie on hockey matters, declined to comment. Bill Daly, the deputy commissioner of the NHL, did not respond to a request for comment.

Two more NHL governors said the league should put a second team in Toronto, although one of them said it should be by relocating an existing franchise rather than expanding.

“I don't think it can be an expansion team,” a governor said. “We can't expand because we would be the laughingstock of professional sports.

“We've got too many troubled franchises. We've got to look at relocating a couple of them. These franchises were troubled long before the economic downturn and next year is going to be worse on them.”

Mr. Balsillie, the co-CEO of Research in Motion Ltd., angered league executives by attempting to buy the Nashville Predators with the intent of moving the franchise to Hamilton.

The league will never allow Mr. Balsillie to put a team in Hamilton for two reasons, according to one governor. One is that the city would be a tough sell for U.S.-based teams, and the other, more significant reason, is the belief it would ruin the Buffalo Sabres.

“It's a minor-league town,” the governor said of Hamilton. “How could we sell a team from Hamilton? Do you think the New York Rangers want to put the Hamilton Steelers on their marquee at Madison Square Garden? Do you think anyone in Manhattan would buy tickets to see them?”

He also said a team in Hamilton would mean thousands of fans in the Niagara Peninsula who attend Sabres games would simply drive to Hamilton to avoid border lineups.

“We do not want to kill the Sabres,” the governor said. “But if there was a second team in Toronto, that would not hurt Buffalo.”

A comparable situation exists in Los Angeles, where the Staples Center houses three professional teams – the Kings of the NHL, plus the Lakers and Clippers of the NBA.

A third governor thinks the Buffalo Sabres might accept a second team in Southern Ontario as well if it made business sense. He said that means charging Mr. Balsillie as much as $700-million (U.S.) for an expansion franchise.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

“How could we sell a team from Hamilton? Do you think the New York Rangers want to put the Hamilton Steelers on their marquee at Madison Square Garden? Do you think anyone in Manhattan would buy tickets to see them?”

As opposed to putting, say, Nashville or Carolina on the marquee?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

People in Manhattan know where Nashville and Carolina are .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Didn't I float this idea in the last few years, discussing where to move some of these ****hole Southern US teams?

If not a second Toronto team, or a Toronto suburb (Mississagua) team, why not a London team? Far enough away from Toronto and Buffalo and Detroit to not negatively impact those teams; a city population of 350,000, plus another 100-200k in the surrounding area, easily enough to support an NHL franchise in Ontario; and stupid ****ing Americans would think it was a team from London, England, thus negating the Hamilton problem.

Win, win, win.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The London area is pretty hurtin' right now due to the auto makers sucking.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
            and stupid ****ing Americans would think it was a team from London, England, thus negating the Hamilton problem.

Sad, but probably true
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It really is brilliant. They can simultaneously expand to both Europe and Canada.

Maybe a team in Paris, Ontario also

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                The London area is pretty hurtin' right now due to the auto makers sucking.
                You really think they wouldn't be able to fill an area 41 nights a year?

Comment

Well, Detroit sure can't and it's a much bigger city...

Comment

Well, a great deal of that can be blamed on Illitch, as he still refuses to lower ticket prices in spite of the **** economy.

I wouldn't think tickets in London would be nearly as expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                      Didn't I float this idea in the last few years, discussing where to move some of these ****hole Southern US teams?

If not a second Toronto team, or a Toronto suburb (Mississagua) team, why not a London team? Far enough away from Toronto and Buffalo and Detroit to not negatively impact those teams; a city population of 350,000, plus another 100-200k in the surrounding area, easily enough to support an NHL franchise in Ontario; and stupid ****ing Americans would think it was a team from London, England, thus negating the Hamilton problem.

Win, win, win.
                      The market size you mention would be roughly half the smallest existing market in the NHL.

In three of the smallest markets (Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton) things were touch and go at times during the sunk buck era.

A team in London, Hamilton, etc would have to count on a larger area, and likely could as many people could be expected to travel from the GTA for games. Or at least Balsille's boosters suppose people from the GTA would.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        The market size you mention would be roughly half the smallest existing market in the NHL.
                        It's more a matter of interest than size... And yeah, one would hope that "interest" would translate to people driving a longer distance to see games. But, would many of the people close enough to London already be Toronto fans?
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, many people in and around London would already be Leafs and Habs fans, with smaller numbers of boosters for other teams. I don't know how deep the attachments would be for most.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Many Leafs fans will jump ship if a decent team comes to the city...they're hurting and angry with MLSE.

Comment

How about Grand Rapids Mich. Very far from Detroit with a metro area over 1.5 million.

Comment

Working...
                              X