No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care about restricting transactions. I prefer a smaller bench, to keep FA/Waiver Wire more useful. In general, nearly every fantasy league here tends towards overly large benches, and this league was the exception. It is a good thing to have decent players on the waiver wire, not a bad thing; don't use this to fix the 'churning' problem, and even if you do restrict transactions, the bench sizes are still fine. You should have to make hard decisions when cutting/adding players; I felt last year like it was about right in terms of how hard I had to grumble before cutting someone.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
      My biggest issue is that I'll be out of town from September 15 to September 30, inclusive. That's prime drafting time and I'm not sure it's possible to work around that.

My other issue I can deal with because I enjoy the league as a whole.
      KOntiki-- I was wondering-- Its only Aug 21 now-- if we could start the draft by Sept 2 (day after the long weekend) could that work for you??-- Last year we were done in two weeks so if we could have anywhere near the same pace, you might only have your last few bench spots that went by BPAY (or a list you could give someone of any preferred lateround picks)

It might be weird for us to be all done with two weeks to go before the season but I cannot think of any huge objection (unless people follow the preseason to make determinations??)

Does anyone see a problem with a September 2 draft start date
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What about a live draft this year?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If the draft can work around my schedule, that's great. I just don't expect the thing to revolve around me.

Another option, which I understand is very difficult, is to have a one-time draft day where everyone can be online together and you only get a few minutes to make you picks. If we can't get through the whole thing like that, we could probably get a good chunk done.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

That would be effectively a live draft... that's fine with me if it's on the weekend, preferably sunday.

Comment

last years list of players for ease of reference

Tingkai
              Asher-- IN
              Kontiki-- maybe
              mrboo123
              notyoueither-- IN
              Sparrowhawk
              Guynemer-- IN
              Imran Siddiqui
              Flubber-IN
              Ninot
              Jonny
              snoopy369 --IN
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

If the draft can work around my schedule, that's great. I just don't expect the thing to revolve around me.

Another option, which I understand is very difficult, is to have a one-time draft day where everyone can be online together and you only get a few minutes to make you picks. If we can't get through the whole thing like that, we could probably get a good chunk done.
                live?? It could work I guess but would be a challenge for me unless it went really quick. Intriguing thought though-- I wonder would people draft much differently in a more fast-paced way-- How fast would it be? Even if people took 5 minutes a turn that would be a loooong day--

We still have time to do the slower draft way too. IIRC last year we knocked off multiple rounds in a day on more than one occasion.

Either way-- I will try-- I just cannot commit to a super-long draft session.
                Last edited by Flubber; August 21, 2008, 19:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  1. Do people want to restrict transactions? Some people didn't seem to like large numbers of transactions (mainly by me as it happended)-- I'll go with whatever the sentiment is but frankly I don't see why it would be a concern. You are mainly just rotating in or our fringe players anyway and it added a lot to the interest in the pool for me to try to figure out a pick of the week fringe guy-- But if people want a limit on transactions I will be fine with that too
                  I'd like to see some kind of restriction, either in terms of total number of moves for the season or a minimum length of time you have to hold on to someone before you can drop them (I can't recall what the options are in Yahoo). I don't have a problem with being active with your roster per se, but I don't like the fact that it's so easy to pick up extra skater or goalie games with no consequences. Plus, restricting the number of total moves you can make adds another strategic element of when the best time to tinker is, rather than just tinkering constantly.

2. I was wondering if anyone would like to expand the bench size by one (if this is possible).I think an added player gives a bit more flexibility. I would really like this if we are going to restrict transactions but think its a decent idea anyway. It actually makes churning even less attractive since even fewer good players are available BUT gives managers a little extra flexibility in setting up their roster

It's technically possible to add 10 or more extra bench spaces, but personally I like it the way it is. Again, I like that you need to be more strategic in who you draft or otherwise pick up.
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

last years list of players for ease of reference

Tingkai
                    Asher-- IN
                    Kontiki-- maybe
                    mrboo123
                    notyoueither-- IN
                    Sparrowhawk
                    Guynemer-- IN
                    Imran Siddiqui
                    Flubber-IN
                    Ninot
                    Jonny
                    snoopy369 --IN
                    oh I'm in. I was just saying I'd be ok if I had to leave in case there was no more room, but I doubt that would happen.
                    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Ok

I have pmed jonny,ninot,Tingkai and Imran and tried Sparrowhwak but his PM box was full.

Is there anyone else that we should invite? Is a thread in the main OT any point for people that follow hockey but don't routinely come in this sub-forum?

Comment

I doubt there are many of them, but you can always try

Comment

You could try Pekka again, although he kinda flaked out the year that he participated. IIRC, Jaguar was in during the first year, but I'm not sure he's that into hockey. Then there's always KH.

Comment

My biggest issue is that I'll be out of town from September 15 to September 30, inclusive. That's prime drafting time and I'm not sure it's possible to work around that.
                            Can you use email? Someone could email you the draft list and relay your picks.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

KOntiki-- I was wondering-- Its only Aug 21 now-- if we could start the draft by Sept 2 (day after the long weekend) could that work for you??-- Last year we were done in two weeks so if we could have anywhere near the same pace, you might only have your last few bench spots that went by BPAY (or a list you could give someone of any preferred lateround picks)

It might be weird for us to be all done with two weeks to go before the season but I cannot think of any huge objection (unless people follow the preseason to make determinations??)

Does anyone see a problem with a September 2 draft start date
                              The danger with starting too early is that many players and their medical situation is a real crap-shoot before camps open, or they get closer and most of the MSM are back from vacations and actually working on reporting.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ok

I have pmed jonny,ninot,Tingkai and Imran and tried Sparrowhwak but his PM box was full.

Is there anyone else that we should invite? Is a thread in the main OT any point for people that follow hockey but don't routinely come in this sub-forum?
                                A thread on the main forum would be a good idea. It can get locked or merged with this one, but it will attract attention for a day or two.

Might want to wait on starting it though until we hear back from some of the people you've PMed.

Has anyone emailed KrazyHorse?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X