X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings to play at Wrigley Field

Ooo!

REPORT: NHL CLOSER TO PLAYING OUTDOOR GAME IN CHICAGO

St. Paul, MN (Sports Network) - The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings will play at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day in the league's second outdoor Winter Classic.

According to the report, the game was finally approved last week when NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman met with the Hawks, Cubs and Mayor Richard Daley.

The NHL has said that an official announcement likely won't be made until closer to the time the 2008-09 season schedule is released, likely in mid-July.

However, the report states that an announcement is expected next week before the inaugural "Blackhawks Convention" at the Chicago Hilton.

Last New Year's Day, Sidney Crosby scored on the final chance of the shootout to lift the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 2-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres in the first NHL game played outdoors in the United States.

The game was played before an NHL-record crowd of 71,217 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York -- home of the NFL's Buffalo Bills.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Well they won't get 71 thousand but it should be a fun event. Hockey at Wrigley. Hopefully the weather will at least be as bad as most opening days for the Cubs.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That will be the hottest ticket in town this winter.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I expect so also.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hmmm... I may try to score some tickets and make the drive up...
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'll take the Wings

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
              That will be the hottest ticket in town this winter.
              Coldest ticket more like. How warm is it in Chicago on New Year's Day?
              Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

A typical winter day is somewhere around the freeze point. It's just a question of how windy it is. It gets much colder, but can be quite mild as well. In the el nino winter a few years back, I played golf on Jan. 1st.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                X