Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Putin trying to lure Malkin back to decrepit Russia

REPORT: RUSSIAN LEAGUE TO OFFER MALKIN BIG-MONEY CONTRACT

If the new Russian professional hockey league has its way, the National Hockey League career of Hart Trophy candidate Evgeni Malkin will be pretty short.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, the Russian teams are prepared to offer the Russian-born Malkin a contract that would make him the highest-paid hockey player in the world. The multi-year contract would be worth at least $12.5 million tax free per season, or the equivalent of $15 million per year in the NHL.

"Hey, we can afford to pay more than the NHL right now," a high-ranking executive with the Russian league, called the Continental League, told the Star. "Our economy is commodities-based so we're not going through the same problems that you have in America."

However, Malkin's agent J.P. Barry told the Globe and Mail Friday that he has not received any direct offers from Russia and that Malkin is not interested in returning home.

"He's been focused, since Day 1, on doing an extension with the Penguins," said Barry. "We've had discussions with them, since the end of the playoffs, on a framework and expect to have something done with the team early in July."

The Continental League executive confirmed to the Star that some teams have already offered contract to some players that are already under contract to NHL clubs.

According to the executive, the league is not worried about the NHL legally contesting any contract offers

"What happened with Malkin when he came to the NHL?" the official said.

Malkin was drafted by the Penguins in 2004, but remained in Russia because his club team argued he already had an existing contract. When Malkin eventually joined the Penguins, his club team unsuccessfully filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL, again insisting he already had a contract in Russia.

However, International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel was quick to respond that any tampering with a player currently under contract could be met with consequences.

"Although there will be no imminent Player Transfer Agreement between the IIHF and the NHL, all involved parties are in principal agreement to honour each other's contracts," says Fasel. "The NHL has informed the IIHF that this will be the policy of the league during the period without a PTA, and conversely, the IIHF has obligated its member national federations and leagues to do the same in its relations with the NHL."

"We would view any signing, from either side, of a player under a valid contract, who does not have any legally valid out-clause, to be a clear violation of the mutual understanding and existing principle. It would potentially be punishable with suspended national team eligibility and suspension from all competition or activity organized by the IIHF or any IIHF member national association. This would include events like the Olympic Winter Games, the IIHF World Championship or international club competitions like the Champions Hockey League."

Malkin is eligible to sign an extension with the Penguins as of July 1st. However, should the two parties not agree to terms, Malkin would become a restricted free agent following next season.

I'm confused by the Russian dude's comment on because their economy is commodity-based, they can afford to pay players that much. The last I checked the revenue of the Russian leagues was pathetic in comparison to the NHL.

Would they pay Malkin directly with money from government, commodity-based coffers? Is Russia this desperate?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

This also doesn't jive at all with the salary cap of the new league:

The new league will also set rules for contracts. Like the past two years the league will have a salary cap system, but in the next season it will be different. Every team will have to spend a maximum of 562.500.000 roubles (roughly $23.5 mln), split in this way: 400.000.000 ($16.7 mln) for twenty-one players, 162.500.000 ($6.8 mln) for four “star” players. The teams must register for the competition not more than twenty-five players, and among these twenty-five every club has the right to register four “star” players.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: Happy Putin trying to lure Malkin back to decrepit Russia

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles
      The last I checked the revenue of the Russian leagues was pathetic in comparison to the NHL.
      Who cares about the revenue of the Russian leagues? Check the player's salaries and start, for example, with Yaromir Jagr who played in my home city team (Avangard, Omsk) few years ago.

Comment

Re: Re: Happy Putin trying to lure Malkin back to decrepit Russia

Originally posted by Serb

Who cares about the revenue of the Russian leagues? Check the player's salaries and start, for example, with Yaromir Jagr who played in my home city team (Avangard, Omsk) few years ago.
        Don't the revenues determine how much money can be spent on players?

Or is the concept of economics really this foreign to Russia?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Happy Putin trying to lure Malkin back to decrepit Russia

Don't the revenues determine how much money can be spent on players?
          Not in Russia.

Or is the concept of economics really this foreign to Russia?
          Yes.

Comment

I believe they are taking a "we don't care how much money we lose, as long as the team wins" approach. When you have as much money as some of these oligarchs, they don't care.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't know why this is a big deal. Malkin, Malkin, Malkin.
              Yes, he is good, but wtf? We owned his team (our arch-rival) when he was playing. You guys think he is something special for the Russian league? He never was and is not. Though he is good, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I believe they are taking a "we don't care how much money we lose, as long as the team wins" approach. When you have as much money as some of these oligarchs, they don't care.
                Right.

That's how the Russian hockey works - most of the teams don't make much profit (in most of the cases they make none or worse), but at the same time the owners pay sh!tloads of $$$ to the players.
                Hockey in Russia is more a matter of prestige than a profitable buisness.

Comment

Re: Happy Putin trying to lure Malkin back to decrepit Russia

Is Russia this desperate?
                  Eat this, Asher.
                  (the last Olympics)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last World Cup:
                    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Serb; June 21, 2008, 22:43.

Comment

'Desperate', my ass.

Comment

Given all of your consecutive posts -- yes, desperate.

Russia's good players make a beeline for Canada or the US. Malkin even had a contract in Russia but really didn't want to still live in Russia. He fled your country.

And now you guys are desperate to bring him back...desperate.

Comment

Given all of your consecutive posts -- yes, desperate.
                          And given to Russia-Canada international statistics, it is you who are desperate - fact.

Russia's good players make a beeline for Canada or the US. Malkin even had a contract in Russia but really didn't want to still live in Russia. He fled your country.
                          'cause he wanted to grow as player, and no matter how I hate to say this, but: NHL is the best hockey league of the World and the best place to gain experience.
                          It wasn't about money, really.
                          Last edited by Serb; June 22, 2008, 01:04.

Comment

cause he wanted to grow as player, and no matter how I hate to say this, but: NHL is the best hockey league of the World and the best place to gain experience.
                            It's wasn't about money, really.

QFT. If Russians wants to grow as people and as players, they need to move out of Russia.

:bow:

Comment

Asher, YOU ARE desperate. We pwn you on every occasion and you still whine how bad we are - that's just laughtable.

Comment

Working...
                              X