• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.i.p. Jim Mckay

Sportscaster Jim McKay dies at 86 Story Highlights
    McKay was host of ABC's 'Wide World of Sports' for decades
    Veteran sportscaster's cause of death not immediately given

Related Links
    SI VAULT:: McKay does 11th Olympics (07.18.84)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jim McKay, the veteran and eloquent sportscaster thrust into the role of telling Americans about the tragedy at the 1972 Munich Olympics, has died. He was 86.

McKay died Saturday, said ABC, the network with which he was long affiliated. The cause of death was not immediately given.

McKay was host of ABC's Wide World of Sports for decades. The influential weekend series introduced viewers to all manners of strange, compelling and far-flung sports events.

But he was suddenly placed in the role of a newscaster in 1972 when Israeli athletes were kidnapped in Munich. As viewers followed the gripping story, McKay told how the hostages were killed in a commando raid.

McKay was the father of Sean McManus, president of CBS News and Sports.
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

RIP
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I can't remember a time without Jim McCay providing the soundtrack to the Olympics and Wide World of Sports. And I'm old.

RIP.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sports.

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Farewell Jim!

(that was from memory)

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
        X