Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the deal with geese in athletics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the deal with geese in athletics?

There is a bizarre trend of athletes nicknamed "Goose" taking over professional sports. All of them have confusingly similar last names, (all resembling "Gosling,") and identical nicknames.

Sports they have infiltrated:
    Baseball, obviously, with Leon Allen "Goose" Goslin, the most famous of all geese athletes.
    Football, with Austin "Goose" Gonsoulin, a well-decorated defensive back.
    Then there's Hockey, with Mario "Goose" Gosselin, a goalie.
    Another Goose in baseball, Rich "Goose" Gossage, recently joined his fellow goose in Cooperstown.
    Soccer, with Mike "Goose" Gosselin.
    They even seem to be in minor sports, like Cross Country.

I think I speak for all of us when I say "what's the deal with this?" Is it mandatory that all athletes with names that sound like "gosling" take the nickname of "goose?" Why are there so many of them? Is their goal to confuse people? To usher in a new era of waterfowl-centric athletics, where ducks are revered and geese are the greatest of them all?

I might not have the answers, but at least I have the courage to admit that there are serious questions here.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

No. You are just being silly.

A silly goose.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Retief Goosen
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Must be either:

A) the exception that proves the rule, or
        B) proof that South Aftricans have no respect for sacred sport traditions.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

or C) Golf is not a sport.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            Must be either:

A) the exception that proves the rule, or
            B) proof that South Aftricans have no respect for sacred sport traditions.
            Retief Goosen's nickname is The Goose.
            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

I guess they could be called Gopher. I don't know that that's any better.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I guess they could be called Gopher. I don't know that that's any better.
                Yeah Gopher, he excelled in the sport of shuffleboard
                Attached Files
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                X