Euro 2008 Prediction Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro 2008 Prediction Competition

It's that time again: the regular season is over, the streets are being decorated all over Europe (well, all over the Netherlands anyway, don't know if footie fans in other countries are crazy enough to paint entire streets in the colour of their national team), football players and fans are starting to descend on Austria and Switzerland... We're only 2 weeks away from the European Championship Football 2008, the Alpine edition.

As is traditional for these major tournaments, we will have a prediction competition here on Apolyton to see who can best predict the outcomes of the matches and the new European Champion. Even if you're from England or Serbia or some other country that failed to qualify, or not from Europe at all, this'll give you a bit more investment in the tournament and a chance to prove you know more about football than Steve McClaren, or more than your fellow polytubbies anyway

The rules are as follows (if you want to suggest any changes, there's still time to discuss that):

Things to Predict
    1) The European Champion.
    2) The top scorer in the tournament.
    3) The 4 group winners in the first round.
    4) The 4 teams finishing second in their group in the first round.
    5) The scores for each match.

Scoring System
    1) 10pts for predicting the European Champion, 3pts if they are runner-up.
    2) 10pts for predicting the tournament top scorer, 3pts if they are runner-up.

3) 5pts for predicting the winners of each group. 2pts if they actually place second.
    4) 5pts for predicting the second placed teams in each group. 2pts if they actually place first.

5) For each match, the following number of points is awarded. Format: 2+2 means 2pts if the outcome ('home' win/draw/loss) is correctly predicted + 2 points if the exact score is predicted.
    In the group stages: 2+2
    In the quarter finals: 3+3
    In the semi finals: 4+4
    In the final: 5+5

Other Rules
    - Predictions can be made or changed up to 5 minutes before kick off.
    <strike>- Predictions for champion, top scorer and group winners can be made or changed up to 5 minutes before kick off of the opening match.</strike>
    - Addendum: Predictions for group winners can be made or changed up to 5 minutes before kick off of the opening match of the group in question.
    - Addendum: Predictions for champion and top scorer can be made or changed up to 5 minutes before kick off of the opening match of the tournament. If no prediction is made before this deadline, it can still be made during the tournament, providing the team in question (or the team to which the player in question belongs) is one that hasn't played its first match yet.
    - If you wish to change your prediction do so in a new post.
    - Changing predictions could potentially lead to abuse by people editing their posts -- therefore it is advised that you do not edit any posts in which you make predictions.
    - The result used is the result after 90 minutes (+ injury time) -- extra time and penalty shoot-outs do not count.
    - In the group stage, should lots need to be drawn for placing teams, the final placings are the placing as per the draw of lots.
    - The top scorer is the player or players who score the most goals as tracked by UEFA, which includes goals scored during extra time but does not include goals scored during penalty shoot-outs.

Note: two rule changes made on June 8 (marked as "addendum" above) to allow latecomers a reasonable chance to compete.
    Last edited by Locutus; June 8, 2008, 17:19.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

The groups

Group A:
    Czech Republic
    Portugal
    Switzerland
    Turkey

Group B:
    Austria
    Croatia
    Germany
    Poland

Group C:
    France
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Romania

Group D:
    Greece
    Spain
    Russia
    Sweden

Match schedule (for the group phase)

Switzerland vs Czech Republic
    Portugal vs Turkey
    Austria vs Croatia
    Germany vs Poland
    Romania vs France
    Netherlands vs Italy
    Spain vs Russia
    Greece vs Sweden

Czech Republic vs Portugal
    Switzerland vs Turkey
    Croatia vs Germany
    Austria vs Poland
    Italy vs Romania
    Netherlands vs France
    Sweden vs Spain
    Greece vs Russia

Switzerland vs Portugal
    Turkey vs Czech Republic
    Poland vs Croatia
    Austria vs Germany
    Netherlands vs Romania
    France vs Italy
    Greece vs Spain
    Russia vs Sweden

There's still two weeks to go, so you have some time, but be sure to get those predictions in in time!

Comment

I predict that I will win teh game
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Locutus, do you want a copy of the old excel file that does all the calculations and rankings automatically, or do you have it already?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Attached Files
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I've got my predictions down, just gonna wait a week or so for any unexpected injuries etc.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              Locutus, do you want a copy of the old excel file that does all the calculations and rankings automatically, or do you have it already?
              Thanks for setting that up Unfortunately, I already made my own from scratch (in part because I didn't have Paul's file, in part because I always found it a bit of a pain to use anyway, effective as it might have been -- horizontal scrolling )

Of course, the main risk of that is that I might've screwed up a few details which might lead to inaccuracies in the ranking, so since you already did the work as well I will at least test them side-by-side, see how mine holds up.

Originally posted by Maquiladora
              I've got my predictions down, just gonna wait a week or so for any unexpected injuries etc.
              Yeah, my predictions are pending the final friendlies and injury reports as well, I expect that might be the case for many.

Oh, and just to clarify for all (got an IM over this), the predictions for champion/top scorer and group winners have to be in before the start of the opening match. Will update the OP to add that to the rules.

Comment

Babel has now been ruled out for the competition. I may actually doubt that the Dutch would qualify for the quarters now
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Babel wouldn't get any playing time anyway as long as Robben is healthy. Of course, that's a BIG assumption, but as long as Robben's healthy for the match against France that shouldn't affect our chances to get to the quarters too much.

It's really Robben and Van Persie you have to look out for health-wise -- those guys are irreplaceable in the system Van Basten plans to employ. And our defensive line is quite thin too, which is why I expect Van Basten will replace Babel with a defender (probably Boulahrouz).

Comment

And now Vieira picks up an injury, are you and the French having some competition? Robben being healthy is indeed quite an assumption, and your defense is hopeless anyway

Comment

Now De Cler sprains his leg. He's a reserve player but still, what's going on there?

Comment

If Germany do their normal thing I think they could win it this time. No really strong sides in the competition, especially now the french are starting to get injured...
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Now De Cler sprains his leg. He's a reserve player but still, what's going on there?
                          That's old news and not a serious injury, he should be fine. I was right about Boulahrouz replacing Babel though.

Most Dutch players (and many for the other teams for that matter) have had a very long season (often ~50 games) and are tired, that makes everyone more susceptible to injuries. I think we'll see a few more of those reports in the next week and of course during Euro 2008, from many different teams.

Partially because of this I actually expect Boulahrouz to become a major player for the Dutch now, exactly because he hasn't played too many games this season due to a severe injury, so he's ironically probably the fittest player in the Dutch selection right now. And as by a long stretch the best Dutch defender his presence give our defense a significant boost (providing he is indeed as fit as I believe him to be).

Comment

Probably everyone except the Russians has had a long season, and they also managed to lose their best striker, who's now a big doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                              If Germany do their normal thing I think they could win it this time. No really strong sides in the competition, especially now the french are starting to get injured...
                              I agree, Germany have to be one of the favourites. They always are, but now even more so, they've been extremely impressive ever since the kickoff of WC06. I (sadly) think Italy will be the team to beat though, not France (as much as France is also looking pretty good, providing they stay healthy).

Originally posted by Solver
                              Probably everyone except the Russians has had a long season, and they also managed to lose their best striker, who's now a big doubt.
                              Everyone but the somewhat 'smaller' countries like Greece, Poland, Switzerland and indeed Russia that don't have a lot of players playing for the last-16 CL/UEFA Cup teams and who's national competitions don't have more than 30 games. With modern football being what it is, I wouldn't be completely shocked if over the next couple of tournaments we see one or more surprise wins a la Greece (in fact, if anyone's gonna pull it off this year my money's on the Russians -- it's all about the coaching).

Comment

Working...
                              X