America, you'll never know what hit you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America, you'll never know what hit you

The Globe and Mail Sports section provides sports news, post-game analysis, in-depth features and video on Canada's teams. Find breaking sports news on baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, the Olympics and more.

ESPN adds Cherry to beef up NHL playoff coverage

WILLIAM HOUSTON

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

* E-mail William Houston
    * | Read Bio
    * | Latest Columns

May 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM EDT

Don Cherry is taking his commentary and wardrobe south of the border, where he will make regular appearances on ESPN during the NHL's Eastern Conference final.

"I guess they like my jackets," the Hockey Night in Canada personality said yesterday.

Cherry and Hockey Night host Ron MacLean will leave the CBC's Toronto studio for the road to cover the Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins series, which will start on Friday.

Cherry will do live hits by remote for ESPN's SportsCentre at the end of each Flyers-Penguins game.

"When I'm finished with the wrap-up on Hockey Night, I'll do the ESPN spot," Cherry said. "Sherali [Najak, the executive producer of Hockey Night ] will help set it up for me."

Cherry has plenty of critics, but ESPN's move to hire the Canadian-based commentator speaks to his popularity and profile among NHL fans on both sides of the border.

"We're thrilled," said Mark Gross, ESPN's senior vice-president of studio production. "He's a great personality and being able to incorporate him into our hockey coverage is a nice addition."

The U.S. sports channel also plans to use Cherry during the Stanley Cup final.

Adding Cherry to beef up ESPN's playoff coverage will restart speculation about ESPN2 returning as a carrier of NHL games next season. Gross said that decision will be made at a management level above his.

In the conference finals, Cherry picks the Penguins over the Flyers and the Detroit Red Wings to defeat the Dallas Stars.

Here's his latest suit.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Okay, that sounds great, but it is SportsCenter. We'll spell Canadian shows properly, if you spell American ones the same...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This is a great move for ESPN...
      From what I've seen of this guy, it should be entertaining

And it does seem to herald a new contract with the NHL and ESPN2.

It would be great for Hockey. It would also mean more promotion of the NHL across all ESPN channels... something the NHL really needs in the US right now.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don Cherry (although that suit )

Although I do get Versus, hockey on ESPN2
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Forget the jacket; the tie and collar are equally amazing.

I've been fairly happy with Barry Melrose in the studio; wondering how Cherry compares.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I wonder if ESPN is going to put him on tape delay, a la CBC after comments he's made in recent years.

I also wonder if he'll keep injecting his "support our troops" stuff in the telecast.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Don Cherry on Russian Hockey:

Comment

Cherry is a real piece of work... he should fit in well with all the other wackos at ESPN
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Cherry at his best
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Here's Cherry berating women who attend hockey games:

Comment

Don Cherry meets a gay man (Scott Thompson, Kids in the Hall)

Comment

Gee... he makes Dick Vitale look like a quiet guy
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

I'm excited to have a little taste of HNIC again.

But I'd be really stoked if Don was bringing Ron MacLean with him.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                            I'm excited to have a little taste of HNIC again.

But I'd be really stoked if Don was bringing Ron MacLean with him.
                            According to the article in the OP, he is.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

According to the article in the OP, he is.

ACK!
                              Er, no. It says MacLean and Cherry are on the road to cover the series, but it's Cherry that's going to do the live bits after the games for ESPN.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X