No announcement yet.

Little League Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results of practice number two - note that three kids didn't show up, two reported illness/conflicts, one just didn't show and someone else said "Oh, I think they're out of town." Great - couldn't they tell me that? Hmph. Anyway....

I split the kids into three groups to focus on Fielding, Pitching and Hitting. Then I assigned assistants to run each area (love having so many people willing to help). I walked around with a clipboard looking important. Yeah.

Anyway, the pitching station results were that I have four guys ready to go, and three more on the cusp (including my son, which honestly impresses me because last year he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And I'm not being biased here - I'm not letting him pitch if he's not ready).

Hitting revealed that everyone should be ok. There's one kid who swings like a cricket player (yes, I've actually watched cricket in my life) but he kept making contact. So ok. I asked him what other sports he's played (thinking maybe he's played cricket) and he replied "tennis". Tennis!!! Kids play tennis at this age?? Whatever! Just keep hitting the ball and I'll be happy.

Fielding was handed over to Coach Jeff. This guy is awesome - he helped me a couple years ago when I was coaching the next level down - my first coaching experience. He keeps the kids involved and does so in a wacky manner that makes them have fun. It's like getting criticized while eating oreo cookies. YUM! They begged him to coach this year and he said no. Luckily I picked his kid in the draft and you KNOW he wants to coach; just doesn't want all the crap that goes with it. So I'm looking forward to his help. Anyway, yet another good fielding session that proved most of these guys can play anywhere, although a few don't have a strong enough arm for third. But who is pulling the ball at this level? (Actually, my son can hit the ball up the thirdbase line whenever he wants - seriously. I don't think he'll ever be a "real" baseball player, but he has two areas where he shines: hitting the ball where he wants and baserunning. He is a natural baserunner. The rest of his game is seriously mediocre.)

Regardless, walking back to my car... once again... my son said "That was fun!" Woohoo! Mission accomplished!
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

For those keeping score - next practice isn't until next Thursday, 4/17.

Comment

Did you draft the ex-coach on purpose? smart move

When do you start playing games?
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
          Did you draft the ex-coach on purpose? smart move

When do you start playing games?
          No - he had no indication on his kid's form as to who he was (or what he was willing to do - coaching etc.). I totally lucked out. It's great having so much help!

Not sure when games start; we got started late with practices because the draft was so late because hardly anyone volunteered to coach. I'm thinking last Tuesday in April will be our first actual game.

Comment

T-ball practice was tonight. Son #3 did really well. I help out as needed, but I honestly do not have the patience to coach at this level. Still, the kids are really cute trying to "play baseball".

Meanwhile... my team parent (for the Storm) is well connected apparently. She picked up my uniforms, game balls and score book because she knows the wife of the guy in charge of the minors. She sent out a note asking the *other* coaches to arrange a time to pick the stuff up, noting that Stuie is "off the hook." Seriously, this is almost too easy. I was expecting managing a minors team to be a lot of work. So far it has been a pleasure.

Comment

Storm had a split squad game Sunday. I quickly realized how problematic this can be - I want the pitcher to pitch well but I want the hitters to hit. Hmm

Anyway, saw lots of positive stuff, and plenty to work on; kids had a blast until one of my other coaches set up a relay thing to finish off the practice. Ended with two kids running into each other full tilt. Ugh. Guess I'll make sure I plan enough to do that my coaches don't get involved next time.

Comment

Sounds fun!!
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So I thought being manager I'd get stuck doing all sorts of stuff. Turns out I have two dads who teach batting really well, one who is an awesome pitching coach, and one who is good at fielding. I'm left with baserunning... which is fine, because it's the area I feel most comfortable teaching the kids. Funny - I really feel like a manager, managing all the coaches and letting them teach the kids.

Comment

First game was tonight vs. the Express.

Now I feel really bad for the other manager; only 8 of his kids show up and he has ONE coach that was in any way involved. So me and my 13 players and five coaches kind of beat them up. Ouch for him. We don't keep score until the playoffs, but if we were keeping score it would have been 13-0 Storm. I tried to get the kids to get up there swinging, but his pitchers were incredibly wild. My guys were actually swinging when there was something to swing at.

I used three different pitchers, and they were all very dominating. Other team used two, and they were... uh... well, the second guy DID strike out the side in the final inning. We only played four innings because my team's at-bats took so long.

So chalk one up for the Storm.

I honestly hope the kids on the other team had an ok time.

Comment

Second game - not so good.

We lost 20-5.

BUT - I got some guys pitching that hadn't pitched before, and they were getting the ball over the plate. The other team just had a lot of good hitters. So even the two "good" pitchers I put out there got hit a lot - time to concentrate more on fielding. We left quite a few outs on the field.

And baserunning - ugh! My guys like to stand at home and admire their hits. At least two of them were out because they didn't bust it down the line. That WILL change.

Everyone had fun despite the miscues. Next game is Tuesday... and my son might actually pitch.

Comment

Ouch. Does you play with mercy rules? Good that the kids weren't too discouraged.
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                          Ouch. Does you play with mercy rules? Good that the kids weren't too discouraged.
                          Five run limit per inning. We actually got the final out in the field a few times, but only after they had scored three or four runs. My first pitcher actually was a little upset, but he got over it pretty quick. I keep reinforcing the fact that the games are just practice right now, and I don't care how many runs the other team scores as long as everyone is having fun and learning the different positions. Amazingly they seem to accept that.

Once the playoffs start it's a whole different ballgame. But that's not until the middle of June. Lots of time to learn and have fun.

Comment

Good stories, Stuie.

Makes me want to have a child, but waiting a bit longer.

Comment

Thanks Sleepy. When the time comes, if you have half as much fun as I do managing a team, then I'll still have had twice as much fun. Or something like that.

Game three: Storm 14 Scrappers 14

Ten of the runs we allowed were off pitchers that will NOT be pitching when we get to the playoffs - including 5 off of Son-of-Stuie. My son just is not a good pitcher, but I'm giving ALL the kids a chance at every position if they are willing (and can play the position safely). I feel like I need to justify everything I do where my son is concerned; I don't want to appear to be playing favorites. Last year, after the manager sent out the first game's lineup, some idiot sent an email that went to the whole team mailing list "by mistake" that said something along the lines of "You can tell who the coach's kid is, huh?"

Anyway, the game went pretty well; the kids are fielding slightly better and starting to swing the bats well. A lot of our outs were made in the field (although SoS struck out twice - once looking - ugh - but he also got our first rally going by legging out a single), so we are hitting the ball, just too many hit right at someone.

Next game is supposed to be tonight - but it's raining.

Comment

Still going strong with this, just been really busy at work. The team is progressing well; playoffs start in two weeks. I'll try to provide more consistent updates then.

We have three games in the next three days to make up some rainouts. Should be interesting as we're using anyone that even thinks they can pitch. Got a pulse? Great - get on the mound. Kind of like the Phillies bullpen last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X