• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL - Are you ready for some Football - Draft and Off Season

Continued from http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Here are all the rule changes:

NFL owners concluded their annual meeting owners with quick passages of several proposals and by tabling the re-seeding idea for the playoffs.

Among the proposals that were passed:

• A recommendation to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines. Now, officials will have to decide only whether a receiver landed inbounds or not. The intended result is more consistency.

• The "Phil Dawson field goal rule." Now, certain field goals can be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights. Under the previous system, no field goals could be reviewed.

• Deferring the opening coin toss. This is similar to the college rule. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could choose only to receive or to kick off.

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

• Eliminating the 5-yard face mask penalty. Now, only the serious face mask will be called (and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty). The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Good changes.

If a defender can push a guy out before he gets his feet down, he should be rewarded for that.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

And now the swing begins. Defensive rule changes will dominate for a few more years.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

If a defender can push a guy out before he gets his feet down, he should be rewarded for that.
          Or before he controls the ball.

Not sure I like this rule, though. Could eliminate some spectacular catches.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I see it as also leading to some spectacular injuries.
            But I guess the NFL feels it's only ok to protect QB's and not WR's
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

More fun in Cinci...

CINCINNATI (AP) — The Cincinnati Bengals have released wide receiver Chris Henry after his fifth arrest since 2005.

The 24-year-old Henry was in Hamilton County Jail pending a court appearance Thursday after being accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle. Police said he surrendered after a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging.

Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement that Henry had forfeited his career with the club.

Henry was suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I like the change with push outs as well... swing the pendulum a bit more to the defensive side.

And it isn't like defenders don't try to push recivers out anyway.

Besides the change was a UNANIMOUS vote... so apparently it was something a long time coming.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

One of the proposed changes not adopted was a yardage penalty for punts out of bounds. One GM was quoted as saying that "Devin hester doesn't need any more help."
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Punts out of bounds are pretty boring, though... and Hester's not the only one who would benefit, several other punt returners are punted away from (Dante Hall in his prime, etc.)
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, but punters kicking to the coffin corner is pretty good bit of strategy... depending on the skill, they either totally miss-hit it, or get it nice.

Comment

Coffin corner punting adds another dimension to the punting game and should be kept.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Strategy is not something the owners selectively put into the game rules-wise, though. They put things in based on what makes the game more exciting to fans; and a PR-TD is one of the most exciting things in football...

Comment

CINCINNATI (AP) — The Cincinnati Bengals have released wide receiver Chris Henry after his fifth arrest since 2005.

The 24-year-old Henry was in Hamilton County Jail pending a court appearance Thursday after being accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle. Police said he surrendered after a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging.

Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement that Henry had forfeited his career with the club.

Henry was suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.
                            In other words, Cowboys to sign Chris Henry.
                            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

He's going to get at least a year off before that's possible

Comment

Working...
                              X