One vs. Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One vs. Two

This Saturday will bring one of those fairly rare moments...a ONE vs. TWO matchup. Tennessee travels to Memphis to try and upset the number one team. The whole state's sports media apparatus is in overdrive with hype.

MSNBC says that this is the 38th matchup with one vs two. I can't say I remember most of them. The late 60's matchups with Houston and UCLA comes to mind (1968 I think?).

What are some of the memorable one vs two matchups that stick in your mind?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

1999 - (1) Michigan State vs (2) Duke (Duke leads 34-2 and wins the game by 1 point at Duke when Mateem Cleaves misses the last shot at te buzzer)

1999 - (2) Michigan State vs (1) Connecticut (more of a typical close game UConn wins by 6 or 8)

Both games were in the same year and Michigan State lost both. All 3 of those teams made the final 4. Connecticut beat Duke for the National Championship.

But,

2000 - (2) Michigan State defeats (1) Duke in the regular season.

and goes on to defeat Florida in the NCAA Finals to become only the 1st school in NCAA history to win 2 or more National Championship in both Football and Basketball. (In 1979 Michigan State became the first school to win the National Championship in both sports)

Ironically,

a: (7) Michigan State defeated (5) Florida in the Citrus Bowl that year

b: But since then, Florida has become the 2nd team to win 2 or more National Champioships in both football and basketball.

c: Michigan is the only other school to win at least 1 in both sports.

Comment

Working...
    X