No announcement yet.

Poly Fantasy Baseball Draft Thread - Weekly league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There isn't going to be a race for RPs with min innings?
    Sure, the race is just less important when you have more RP/P spots and/or a higher minimum. If I can get by with 3 starters (1 with a 2 start week) I have more flexibility to compete for saves and holds.

For the record, here are my ideal settings

1B, 2B, 3B, HR, OBP, SLG SB, FPCT

QS, Saves, Holds, K/BB, K, ERA, WHIP

or a 5 x 5 league

H, OBP, SLG, SB, FPCT

QS, Saves, Holds, ERA, WHIP

Comment

• The idea is to balance the following strategies:

Stud SP, reg SPs, reg RPs
      Stud SPs, many weak RPs
      Reg SPs, stud RP, reg RP(s)
      many weak SPs, 2 stud RPs

All of those should be viable strategies in winning P categories; whether you focus on one stud and overall balance (stud in either group), or if you try to get multiple studs in one branch and then use weaker P's in the other branch, they should all be viable - that's how we ensure that one strategy isn't overly advantaged by the ruleset.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Honestly I'm not sure I understand Holds as a category... it's even more random than Saves, in one sense, once you get by the couple of 'studs', and in another sense it's highly determined by the team one plays for (particularly, the studs here)- anyone picking up a Devil Rays RP for the holds category? You end up with a few players reliably generating holds (top non-closers on big-win teams not named the Yankees, who blow out too many teams to qualify most games) and then otherwise it being effectively random. Most weeks can be won with 1 or 2 holds ... to me, K/9 K/BB and ERA/WHIP are much better Reliever measures than Holds.

But, as I said in the other thread, I'm not sure what you can do about that ... if you just go with k/9 k/bb, you end up with starters getting too high a percentage of innings for you to justify playing the good relievers. Perhaps if you have enough of these stats (like we seem to here) it might make up for it...

Comment

• I've always hated the Hold stat myself.

Comment

• I just hate relievers entirely. I never have good ones, which might coincide with not liking to draft them at any early time.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• BAPAY!

I'm tired of waiting.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                BAPAY!

I'm tired of waiting.
                Ditto!
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• So...has this all started yet? I've been away for a bit.

I missed a vote? Oh well, whatever works.
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    BAPAY!

I'm tired of waiting.

Comment

• I wanna give Zopper a day to respond, if he doesn't and we dont get a 14th, I'll give Tuber the bad news and we'll start drafting with EPW as #1 pick Thursday

Comment

• We can surely get someone. Put a Help Wanted sign in the OT window.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• While you're waiting for another player to manifest, the rest of us would appreciate it if y'all would start discussing stat categories again.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• You could always join the league and have a right to discuss yourself

Comment

• I'm glad we had the discussion, I'm a convert to sabremretrics

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                                You could always join the league and have a right to discuss yourself
                                He's just talking trash. Write what you want to write. He's blind. He said so. He won't know the difference unless someone reads it to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X