Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I prefer having more SP slots.

Comment

• BTW, you could try pestering Jaguar to join the league. I've tried a bit, he claims he doesn't know anything about baseball, but I'm sure with a bit more thorough pestering he could be persuaded to join
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• ?? We don't know anything about baseball either, why should that be a problem?

Comment

• Obviously Sloww doesn't
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'm with Imran re: 5SP, 2RP.

I'd also do away with 2B personally, but I'll roll with anything.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Obviously Sloww doesn't
              REGULAR SEASON FINAL STANDINGS
              1. Quietus 227-186-71 .542 WINNER
              *2. Next Big Thing 227-187-70 .541
              *3. GreeeeybeardedGhouls 220-187-77 .534 (jdd)
              *4. BC SToner Bears 217-189-78 .529 (Vlad)
              *5. Berzerkers 219-195-70 .525 (Berz)
              *6. Yuenglings 205-206-73 .499 (Stuie)

7. Dallas Dwarf Tossers 204-209-71 .495 (Sloww)
              8. Cat Dreams 196-211-77 .485 (Snoopy)
              9. Siddiqui Storm 195-222-67 .472 (Imran)
              10. Houston 1836 191-218-75 .472 (Apocalypse)
              11. The Clerical Errors 192-221-71 .470 (asleepatthewheel0
              12. Hot Mustard Maniacs 177-239-68 .436 (Dejon)

It was good enough to beat you, Mr. Expert.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Randomly getting lucky picking players who have the best certain statistics doesn't impart any actual knowledge about the game of baseball .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Call it luck. Luck will work.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Sloww be dangerous. I remember last year he wanted Hanley Ramirez almost as much as me.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Hell, if you are REALLY concerned about a RP strategy, make the slots:
                      I dont wanna create a race for RPs with SP status. And how are we supposed to compete for saves and holds with only 2 RP spots? No, the min inn will do the job

Comment

• I'm tryin Zopperoni but I dont know if he comes here anymore. If we do go with 14 I'm inclined to redo the draft order cuz we've got 3 new people.

Sorry guys

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
                          I dont wanna create a race for RPs with SP status. And how are we supposed to compete for saves and holds with only 2 RP spots? No, the min inn will do the job
                          I don't understand these objections. There isn't going to be a race for RPs with min innings? And if there are such stringent min innings how will you compete with 2 RP spots?

This way, with more SP slots, it means you can still get some points if one of your SPs gets hurt during the beginning of the week (since this is a weekly league, you can't make the switch on the fly).

Comment

• I think the issue is that with SPx5 RPx2 there's no possibility of running a third RP if you want to try to win Saves with a junk-saves strategy (very common). That's the strategy I used last year to great success I ran about four or five closers in rotation (people like the D-Rays closer, for example) during weeks where I had no chance to win Wins (because my Wins pitchers were all injured) in order to win Saves and be competitive in the other fields. That's only possible if you alow some flexibility in the RP/SP categories (ie, P category).

Otherwise you end up with people going hard for the top RPs and whomever loses out to them is really screwed for saves.

24 innings isn't hard with 4 starters. Each has to pitch once during the week, and any short outings are made up with your relievers; if you have 3 going you get at least 5-6 innings from them (assuming you use some intelligence here) which can make up for an injured SP most weeks.

If you're careful to play the two-start-week pitchers, which many are, you can even run 3 SPs - if two of them have 2 starts per week, that's 5 expected starts or around 30 innings, plus 4 relievers.

That's why I'd rather have SPx3 RPx2 Px2 ... it gives more flexibility, while making an overly gamey pure-RP strategy relatively difficult.
                            Last edited by snoopy369; February 26, 2008, 18:56.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• But you dont need an SP slot for a starter. 3-2-2 or even 2-2-3 gives us 7 slots for SPs (if you like), but we need the flexibility to compete for saves and holds. If we have 5 SP and 2 P or RP it screws up the competition for 2 categories. And trust me, this creates a race for a few guys with SP/RP status with better stats than alot of the starters.
                              I've gone with 3 SPs and 4 RP (not with 22+ min innings)

Comment

• If you're careful to play the two-start-week pitchers, which many are, you can even run 3 SPs - if two of them have 2 starts per week, that's 5 expected starts or around 30 innings, plus 4 relievers.
                                Yup, I'd do that if my opponent had 3 better RPs - 2 closers and 1 set up man.

But having only 2 slots for RPs ends up with managers playing 2 closers, 2 set up men, or one of each and that often ends up with saves and holds canceling each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X