Goodell Spygate Testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell Spygate Testimony

NFL commish Roger Goodell has had his day in Washington, meeting with Arlen Specter. Results:

Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer, AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over,'' Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell,'' Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed.''

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach,'' the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts.''

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games,'' he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed'' the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide,'' Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do,'' Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

"There was an enormous amount of haste,'' Specter said.

He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.

"What's that got to do with it? There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence,'' Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes.''

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

Goodell also said he has not heard from Matt Walsh, the former Patriots employee who performed some videotaping duties for the team.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

Goodell said he has offered Walsh a deal whereby "he has to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly'' in return for indemnity. Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.
    Goodell looks bad.
    Belichick looks worse.

Linky
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

He's looking like the piece of crap we all all know and...hate.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wow, so the great revelation is exactly what we've known all along. Shocking.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

The big loser is Goodell. Makes him look like an idiot.

It also makes me wonder if Tagliabue was sitting on his hands, or just blissfully unaware. LIkely the latter.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

We have a right to have honest football games

That's a good one ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I didn't realize it went as far back as 2000. Maybe that was just ignorance of previous news articles. The punishment Belicheck and the Patriots received seems paltry to me now. How about some punishment for each confirmed case of spying?

Comment

How about Specter do something useful, rather than this BS?

If Specter were so worried about the facts of the matter, all he would have to do is invite Belichick to the Hill for some testimony.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No, no. The only thing that will get you seriously screwed is betting on your own team.
                Paul Hornung and his wrist slap, and Pete Rose in baseball show us that. Any other cheating is called a "sign of the times" and "just the lastest kind of thing".
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I still dont get the huge overreaction to this. For one, the country is going to pot and the senator is blowing a gasket over the NFL? I pretty much assumed he had been taping it all since he started. They already 'spy' on each other, taping is just a new level to it.
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                    The big loser is Goodell. Makes him look like an idiot.
                    I beg to differ. It's not as though the commissioner got blindsided with the news that the Patriots have been taping opposing coaches' signals for years, since it was Goodell who volunteered the information publicly for the first time. Obviously, Belichick 'fessed up and told him straight out when the whole thing initially blew up, and since Goodell says the tapes corroborated everything that the Patriots told him, there must have been some evidence of taping from 2000 in the batch. The thing I'm now curious to see is what the rule was back in 2000 that Belichick and the commissioner's office had a difference of opinion in interpreting.

The only way Goodell gets egg on his face going forward is if Matt Walsh has anything to say or show that proves there's any truth to the story that the Pats taped that Rams walkthrough before their first Super Bowl win. That's what would damage all parties involved (Goodell, Tagliabue, the Patriots' entire legacy, and most of all Belichick himself).
                    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by reismark

I beg to differ. It's not as though the commissioner got blindsided with the news that the Patriots have been taping opposing coaches' signals for years, since it was Goodell who volunteered the information publicly for the first time. Obviously, Belichick 'fessed up and told him straight out when the whole thing initially blew up, and since Goodell says the tapes corroborated everything that the Patriots told him, there must have been some evidence of taping from 2000 in the batch. The thing I'm now curious to see is what the rule was back in 2000 that Belichick and the commissioner's office had a difference of opinion in interpreting.
                      The rule is still quite vage:

The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which he deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.

By now taping is probably common enough that it is within the accepted tactics. The problem no one wants to rat the other team, except Mangini who hates Belichick.
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Well, the actual rule isn't quite that vague:

no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.

Belichick's argument (presumably, based on his statement) was that he interpreted 'in use' 'during the game' to mean he couldn't look at the recordings during the game they were being filmed. Recording them for later analysis and application was ok, though. The NFL's memo has the same 'during the game' phrasing:

Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive of defensive signals is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.

In fact, if you already thought it, this may even reinforce the idea that the rule is all about recording for the purposes of using it later in the same game...otherwise, why specifically mention 'locations accessible to club staff members during the game'?

Don't get me wrong, this is clearly splitting hairs, but I suspect that's what Belichick's argument boils down to. He thought he could sell that interpretation to the league, at least enough to avoid trouble if caught, and he was wrong.

On the other hand, one might question whether or not the league really intended to enforce such rules given the long history of these sort of tactics. Frankly I think Goodell comes off worst in this situation because it seems that he wanted to show he was the new sheriff in town by coming down hard on one instance of a widespread practice. He got more press than he bargained for, though, and now he's working on hanging Belichick out to dry. If he had just brushed it off the way the league has done for decades, or given a smaller penalty instead of going on NBC and telling the world how badass he is, or not destroyed the tapes and notes, the whole situation would be much better than it is now.
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

It's gone too far when everything is being micro-analyzed for how to do what you want in spite of rules.
                          This, and steroids, has about gotten me to the point of
                          I Don't Give A **** about sports anymore. The only problem? It's not just sports.

Comment

Given what Will & Koy have posted, I think Belichick's got every right to believe he's being thrown under the bus on this issue.
                            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

The poor child.

Comment

Working...
                              X