X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Knight Resigns

Knight Resigns at Texas Tech
    Winningest Men's Coach Makes Surprise Decision

Texas Tech Coach Bob Knight, major college basketball's all-time winningest men's coach who will be remembered as much for controversy as success, abruptly resigned yesterday.

The decision of the 67-year-old Knight to step down in the middle of the season surprised much of the college basketball world. But Pete Newell, the legendary former coach and a close friend of Knight, was not surprised Knight decided to resign after amassing 902 career victories.

"I'm glad to see he is getting out," Newell said in a telephone interview last night. "He is worn out. Basketball is a lot tougher on coaches now. There is more money. There is more pressure. The media, it is all a lot bigger. You get older, you just don't have the same capacities. "

Knight told the Lubbock (Tex.) Avalanche-Journal that he made his decision to step down after talking to Newell for more than an hour Sunday night. Newell said the two talk often and Knight has broached the subject of retiring before.

Knight believed it was the best time to turn over the program to his son and assistant, Pat Knight, who was named his successor in 2005. Pat Knight said in a television interview that his father plans to be around the program. Texas Tech is 12-8, in sixth place in the Big 12 Conference.

"My thinking was that for Pat and for this team -- most of which is returning next year -- the best thing for the long run for this team would be for Pat and his staff to coach these remaining 10 games," Knight told the Avalanche-Journal. "It was always a problem for me as to just what would be the most effective way in this transition."

Knight won three national championships at Indiana and led the 1976 Hoosiers to an undefeated season, which was the last time a team finished unbeaten. Knight won 20 or more games in 29 seasons.

Knight is known for a fiery temper that he occasionally exhibited over the past five decades. He arrived at Texas Tech in March 2001, six months after being fired by Indiana for what school officials there called a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

"Basketball loses a terrific man and leader," Newell said. "He really started the motion offense. He has done so much for basketball and has always followed the rules. He never paid money to players under the table -- no violations."

Knight informed Athletic Director Gerald Myers of his decision to resign in a meeting around noon, Texas Tech Chancellor Kent Hance told the Associated Press. Knight then informed Hance of his decision in a 10-minute phone call.

"He said he was tired and that it was best to go ahead and do it now," Hance said. "I think Bob is through with coaching. I think he got to the point where it was not fun for him."

Texas Tech may not lose its recruits because Pat Knight was instrumental in much of the recruiting efforts in recent years. One of its top recruits, Corbin Ray, told a Houston television station yesterday that he would still attend the school.

"Pat was the one recruiting me," Ray told KRIV-TV. "I originally committed to him first. I was just hoping to get a year or two with Coach Bob Knight. I respect his decision and wish him the best."

On Jan. 1, 2007, Knight passed former North Carolina coach Dean Smith to become college basketball's winningest Division I coach with his 880th victory. Knight signed a three-year contract extension in September that runs through the 2011-12 season.

He will be most remembered for his accomplishments at Indiana, where he led the Hoosiers to a 662-239 record between 1971 and 2000. Knight, who coached at three schools for 42 years, began his coaching career at Army at 24, becoming the youngest-ever Division I coach.

Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who played for Knight at Army and began his career as an assistant at Indiana, said in a statement: "Outside of my immediate family, no single person has had a greater impact on my life than Coach Knight. I have the ultimate respect for him as a coach and a mentor, but even more so as a dear friend. For more than 40 years, the life lessons I have learned from Coach are immeasurable. Simply put, I love him."
    Now this was a surprise....
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Certainly was a surprise. None of his programs ever were cause of investigation. That in itself says a lot.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Programs, yes. Himself, no...

A classy and honorable guy with an anger management problem, who seems to have taken it seriously and generally taken care of business after leaving Indiana.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah... a real anger management problem... but always a good quote

But as you say, besides that, there were a lot of great things about BK.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
        X