The Goose Has Landed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goose Has Landed!

Goose Gossage will be the sole inductee into the MLB Hall of Fame in 2008. Well deserved IMHO.

Jim Rice finished 14 votes short and has one year of main-ballot eligibility left. Hawk Dawson was on about 2/3 of the ballots.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Sounds like Jim Rice will finally get it together next year, and perhaps the Hawk as well. I'd love to see both in personally (and Goose of course) ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I hope Rice gets in. Goose was what, the 4th RP to get inducted?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Rice not being in the HoF would be a bigger travesty than keeping Pete Rose out.
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
          Rice not being in the HoF would be a bigger travesty than keeping Pete Rose out.
          Uh.. no.

Rice doesn't belong, regardless of how much Boston fans masturbate over him .

Though I will admit that Rose is overrated too.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Rice is getting in next year. Get used to it, Imran.

Next year is also Ricky Henderson's first year of eligibility. IMHO he should be a first ballot winner.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Rickey be rickey ... He'll get in for sure I'd think.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Rickey will have 90%+.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I thought the "no first ballot" gang was bigger than that...

Comment

Well, Tom Seaver got like 98% .

And Rickey is one of the greatest players of all time. While he did have the same OPS+ of Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Keith Hernandez, he also stole a ****load of bases and almost hit 300 Home Runs.

Great defense as well in the outfield. I think he easily makes it in on the first ballot.

And of course far more deserving that Jim Rice and Jack Morris and all those others that don't belong .

Comment

And I will say that the fact that Tim Raines only got 25% is bull****.

Now I expect HoF voters to penalize Blyleven because they are morons... but Raines?!

Comment

It's a great resume.

130 SB, single season record (50 or more 12 times, 3x with 100+)
                        1406 career SB (2nd place is Brock with 938)
                        .401 career OBP
                        3,055 career hits

Ricky was the foundation of my APBA team for over 10 years.

Comment

Well it isn't just the number of stolen bases, but also the 80% success rate!!

Comment

Ricky should be a slam dunk first year entry. If the voters ignore him, they will show how stupid or stubborn they are. He had a stellar carreer.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                              If the voters ignore him, they will show how stupid or stubborn they are.
                              Hmm, we are talking about sports writers.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X