• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB: The Mitchell Report

Let the casualties commence:

Clemens reportedly named in Mitchell report

Ex-trainer told investigators he gave steroids to 7-time Cy Young winner

[...]

ESPN.com reported that Brian McNamee, a former trainer for the Yankees and Clemens, said information he gave Mitchell on supplying the pitcher with steroids is in the report. The Web site, citing an unidentified source close to the trainer, said McNamee told investigators he supplied Clemens with steroids.

"In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Good thing he's probably not coming back to serve his suspension
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I've seen a large list of supposedly leaked names (on one of the Yankee blogs I frequent). I can't say I was overly surprised at any of them. I'm certainly not surprised at Clemens. That's a big duh!

The thing is, no matter who is named, there's no way the report will really list all the guys who used. I suspect a huge number of fringy relief pitchers used, but most fans don't really want to hear that. They want to hear about bulky power hitters, 'cause that's what makes sense to them. Hell, my former boss just said something to that effect. I only care about these guys who go from being, you know, 180lbs to having like pro wrestler bodies....

The whole investigation was badly flawed from the start. I just hope that when the smoke clears, there will be more money invested in developing better testing. If they really care about this stuff, they will spend real money on the testing program.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Clemens is NOT a surprise to me. I've been questioning his performance for a while now. How many 40+ pitchers can throw like that?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It may not be a surprise. But it's still bad, now that we know it for fact (basically).
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            It may not be a surprise. But it's still bad, now that we know it for fact (basically).
            It will be interesting to see just what kind of "facts" they actually have beyone "he said, she said"

And it was reported that the full list that appeared in the Press earlier today was not correct.

Let the fun begin
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am shocked - shocked - to find out that there was steroid use in baseball!

*goes back to ignoring baseball*
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Well, it's out ...

List of players involved:
                Players and in which section they are listed in the Mitchell Commission report.

Full report:

List:
                Balco:
                • Marvin Benard
                • Barry Bonds
                • Bobby Estalella
                • Jason Giambi
                • Jeremy Giambi
                • Benito Santiago
                • Gary Sheffield
                • Randy Velarde

Purchases/Use (Radomski)
                • Lenny Dykstra
                • David Segui
                • Larry Bigbie
                • Brian Roberts
                • Jack Cust
                • Tim Laker
                • Josias Manzanillo
                • Todd Hundley
                • Mark Carreon
                • Hal Morris
                • Matt Franco
                • Rondell White
                • Roger Clemens
                • Andy Pettitte
                • Chuck Knoblauch
                • Jason Grimsley
                • Gregg Zaun
                • David Justice
                • F.P. Santangelo
                • Glenallen Hill
                • Mo Vaughn
                • Denny Neagle
                • Ron Villone
                • Ryan Franklin
                • Chris Donnels
                • Todd Williams
                • Phil Hiatt
                • Kevin Young
                • Mike Lansing
                • Cody McKay
                • Kent Mercker
                • Adam Piatt
                • Miguel Tejada
                • Jason Christiansen
                • Mike Stanton
                • Stephen Randolph
                • Jerry Hairston, Jr.
                • Paul Lo Duca
                • Adam Riggs
                • Bart Miadich
                • Fernando Vina
                • Kevin Brown
                • Eric Gagné
                • Mike Bell
                • Matt Herges
                • Gary Bennett, Jr.
                • Jim Parque
                • Brendan Donnelly
                • Chad Allen
                • Jeff Williams
                • Howie Clark
                • Exavier "Nook" Logan

Internet
                • Rick Ankiel
                • Paul Byrd
                • Jay Gibbons
                • Troy Glaus
                • Jose Guillen
                • Jerry Hairston Jr.
                • Gary Matthews, Jr.
                • Scott Schoeneweis
                • David Bell
                • Jose Canseco
                • Jason Grimsley
                • Darren Holmes
                • John Rocker
                • Ismael Valdez
                • Matt Williams
                • Steve Woodard

Comment

So? If it's ok for Bonds, it's ok for all.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wow... over 400 pages. Its time like these I wish I had an ebook reader. The names are nice and all, but I'd like to actually read the report (and I fully realize a lot of it is based on hearsay and whatnot and Mitchell is urging a general amnesty and then a moving forward).
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

If they put any of the people on this list in the HOF, how do you keep Rose out?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, the easy answer is because gambling is worse. But eventually Pete will get in as well... it'll probably come after he's passed though.

Comment

The easy answer is that he agreed to a lifetime ban ...

Comment

Pete Rose was given the opportunity to apologize, humble himself, and get into the HoF. He blew it, spectacularly.

The report, like I said, is badly flawed. Mitchell could hardly get anyone to talk. The two main sources he had (thanks to the FBI) were in NY. Shockingly enough, a bunch of NY players were implicated... and how about that, hardly any Red Sox players. Stunning, that. Really.

The basic purpose of this report seems to be to blame the players (mostly) and team employees (some) while shielding the owners. Selig got what he paid for, it would seem.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm not sure you can say "shielding the owners"...
                              I personally see this as proof that the owners knew and didn't really care because they were just in it for the money... just greedy bastards.... This was too widespread for them to miss.

And if they didn't know, then we can consider them morons
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X