My Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dream

What if Division I college football wasn't the only sport not to have a playoff system?????

MY DREAM

I have only 2 postulates.

1) Since all conferences don't play each other - every conference should be represented. Put another way' if you go undefeated you shouldn't be penalized because you didn't get a chance to play the supposed best teams.

2) It's better to decide the championship on the field then in the ballot box.

If you agree with those 2 points here is my "Ideal College Playoff"

1) Every Conference champion gets an automatic bid (11 conferences). That way EVERY TEAM has a chance at the beginning of the season. If you win your conference you are in the playoffs.

2) 5 At large teams are chosen by the highest rank.

3) Once the 16 teams are selected they are seeded by a ranking body (similiar to the NCAA Basketball)

So here would be MY DREAM playoffs: (If BCS were the ranking body)

OHIO STATE REGIONAL

1) Ohio State vs 16) Troy

8) Kansas vs 9) Florida

GEORGIA REGIONAL

4) Georgia vs 13) Brigham Young

5) Va Tech vs 12) Ariz St.

OKLAHOMA REGIONAL

3) Oklahoma vs 14) Central Florida

6) USC vs 11) W. Virginia

LSU REGIONAL

2) LSU vs 15) Central Mich

7) Missouri vs 10) Hawaii

Remember I am not saying these are the 16 best. I am just saying that this is a fair way to insure that EVERY Division I team has a chanec to win the NAtional Championship. It also insures that EVERY team that didn't win the National champioship couldn't legitimately say that they didn't have a chance.

So what do you think?? - Would this be better then watching 32 stupid bowl games that lead to nothing?
    Would this be better than justifying why a certain 2 loss team should get in but why these 4 or 5 other 2 loss teams shouldnt ..... and why a 1 loss team shouldn't .....and why an undefeated team shouldn't.

Anyways that my proposal - just for fun - let me know what you think
    Last edited by Deity Dude; December 7, 2007, 06:57.

The plan has it's merits.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This exact scenario has been laid out by others (Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports). Personally, I like it OK (even though it would leave my beloved Illini on the outside looking in this year).

I'm not sure how I feel about teams with low power rankings getting an automatic spot. I'd prefer a system that gave everyone in the top 20 a shot.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
        This exact scenario has been laid out by others (Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports). Personally, I like it OK (even though it would leave my beloved Illini on the outside looking in this year).

I'm not sure how I feel about teams with low power rankings getting an automatic spot. I'd prefer a system that gave everyone in the top 20 a shot.
        Your Illini were 17th on the list of 16 (6th highest ranked non-conference champion.)

BTW, I've seen playoff proposals before but never saw this exact one. It's good to see someone else thinks its a good idea too.

Comment

No.

No no no no no no NO. This allows way, WAY too many teams in. It absolutely, 100% WOULD devalue the regular season.

Now look: we're talking about a sport with 119 teams. We have to think outside the box when it comes to playoff systems, and we have to maintain the excitement of the regular season. Only--ONLY--truly dominant teams may apply.

Hence, the Guynemer system--

For a team to make the playoffs, they must meet the following criteria:

1. The team must have no more than ONE loss
          2. The team must have at least 10 victories against Div I-A (or FBS, if you prefer) opponents
          3. The team must be conference champions (or be the top ranked independant that meets criteria 1 & 2)

Any and all teams that meet the above criteria make the playoffs. Some years, that might be as many as 5, 6, 8, or theoretically 12 teams. Most of the time, it'll be 3 or 4. This year, two: Ohio State and Hawai'i. No one else need apply.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
            No.

No no no no no no NO. This allows way, WAY too many teams in. It absolutely, 100% WOULD devalue the regular season.

Now look: we're talking about a sport with 119 teams. We have to think outside the box when it comes to playoff systems, and we have to maintain the excitement of the regular season. Only--ONLY--truly dominant teams may apply.
            Since when does a playoff devalue the regular season. In fact it makes the regular season more exciting. If only 2 teams have a chance at the championship many more teams will be out of it quicker then if every conference champion and 5 at large teams make it.

And as far as too many teams... 16 teams out of 119 possible teams is about 13% of the teams making the playoffs.

Take pro football for example. And ask your questions?

1) Is the regular season devalued because teams with more than 1 loss make the playoffs? NO

2) Is the regular season devalued because 13% (in pro football it is 37.5%) of the teams make the playoffs? NO

3) Is the entire playoff structure devalued because a team might win a division with a record that isn't that great or might win a division that is considered to be weak? NO

And let me ask you one more question.

Are you more likely to watch and be interested in any bowl game on my proposed list if it were part of a playoff system as opposed to just another bowl game?

For Example: I myself probably wouldn't be too interested in a bowl game between Georgia and BYU. But I would definitely be interested in a playoff game between Georgia and BYU

Comment

Since you asked, I think that entirely too many teams make the playoffs in pro sports. Who cares about the regular season in MLB, NFL? Or especially the NBA or the NHL?

Comment

Granted that pro sports is different then college. But it is precisely that so many teams make the playoffs that keeps people watching the regular season. Honestly, when else would you watch a regular season game between 2 6-6 teams. The only reason is because they still have a shot at the playoffs.

Now I am gonna really date myself but when I was a little kid only 1 team from each league made the playoffs (World Series). Unless you were the best team in you league aor a close second baaseball got pretty boring pretty quick. Now with 4 teams from each league making it usually there are at least 7 or 8 teams in each league playing meaningful games in August.

Comment

But "meaningful games" between mediocre teams cheapens truly meaningful games.

There is no way a two-loss or three-loss team should be national champion.

Comment

What if everybody loses twice? No champ that year?
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm okay with that.

Comment

To quote b etor:

lol. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                          But "meaningful games" between mediocre teams cheapens truly meaningful games.

There is no way a two-loss or three-loss team should be national champion.
                          I don't agree that 2 loss teams are mediocre. Especially if you play in the Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10 or the SEC.

Comment

Working...
                          X