Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Back The Years: UCLA DYNASTY 7 STRAIGHT NCAA TITLES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Back The Years: UCLA DYNASTY 7 STRAIGHT NCAA TITLES!!

I was just walking down memory lane, thought I would share with my friends at Apolyton, a few here will remember the actual games being played!!

Here is Lew Alcindor and Coach John Wooden

Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

We had this in our locker room, it was Coach John Wooden's Pyramid of Success
    Attached Files

Comment

Swen Nater-Coach John Wooden and Bill Walton
      Attached Files

Comment

Coach Wooden and Bill Walton
        Attached Files

Comment

One year Walton leading the Pauley Pavillion Bruins.....
          Attached Files

Comment

another year The N C State Wolfpack shuts the dynasty down with a very impressive team in its own right

Pictured:

On the Cover:

David Thompson, Basketball, North Carolina State Wolfpack
            Tom Burleson, Basketball, North Carolina State University
            David Meyers, Basketball, UCLA Bruins
            Bill Walton, Basketball, UCLA Bruins
            Keith Wilkes, Basketball, UCLA Bruins

Now, in case you dont know first hand, this is one heck of a lineup pictured from these two teams

David Meyers also had a very talented sister from UCLA, Ann Meyers..
            On May 10, 1993, she was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Massachusetts as the first woman inductee.
            Attached Files

Comment

Houston-UCLA Title Game, won by UCLA

However, many of us remember a very exciting precursor to this game,In the end, the Cougars pulled the upset, 71-69, ending the Bruins' 47-game winning streak.

Houston had Coach Guy Lewis and "Little E" Elvin Hayes.

It was an awesome game, no excuses, Alcindor has an eye problem, seems to me his eye was infected or swollen, but they played their hearts out. It was also played outdoors!!, in the Astrodome!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                We had this in our locker room, it was Coach John Wooden's Pyramid of Success
                I was at Lew.C.L.A. at the time & even spoke to Coach Wooden a couple of times (totalling about 3 seconds). He was everyone's grandpa.

The year I moved out of the dorms, Bill Walton moved onto my floor, so I never met him. But I did have a creative writing class with guard Greg Lee.

With all his great teams, people tend to forget that Wooden's first year coaching at U.C.L.A., his team was predicted to finish last in the Pac-8. Instead, he finished first.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                  another year The N C State Wolfpack shuts the dynasty down with a very impressive team in its own right

Pictured:

On the Cover:

David Thompson, Basketball, North Carolina State Wolfpack
                  Tom Burleson, Basketball, North Carolina State University
                  David Meyers, Basketball, UCLA Bruins
                  Bill Walton, Basketball, UCLA Bruins
                  Keith Wilkes, Basketball, UCLA Bruins

Now, in case you dont know first hand, this is one heck of a lineup pictured from these two teams

David Meyers also had a very talented sister from UCLA, Ann Meyers..
                  On May 10, 1993, she was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Massachusetts as the first woman inductee.

Didn't David Thompson have some utterly ridiculous vertical leap stats.

Comment

Leap of faith
                    The story goes that, when he was at North Carolina State University, David Thompson was able to grab a quarter off the top of a backboard and leave two dimes and a nickel. (A backboard is a vertical board that a basket is attached to at each end of a basketball court. Its top is about 4m above the ground.) He says that the bit about the dimes and the nickel is an exaggeration, but it still must have been a pretty neat trick.

Of course, there's not much of a career to be made out of swiping coins from backboards, but the skills involved transfer very well to playing the game of basketball itself. After an enormously successful spell playing on the University's team, David Thompson started his professional career in 1976 with the Denver Nuggets before moving on to give the Seattle Supersonics the benefit of his exceptional point-scoring abilities. David Thompson's remarkable 44-inch vertical leap and extraordinary athletic skills earned him the nickname 'The Skywalker' and more awards than he could possibly know what to do with. He attained the status of a truly great sportsman, and was even Michael Jordan's childhood hero.

In 1978, David Thompson signed a record-breaking $4 million five-year contract. This was more than any basketball player had previously been paid. And, as he soon discovered to his cost, that sort of money can buy an awful lot of cocaine and alcohol. His addictions had an inevitable destructive effect on his career, eventually landing him in prison.

Serving time gave him the chance to reflect upon what he'd had and lost. With encouragement from the prison pastor, he became a committed Christian and put his life back in order. Having completely overcome the drug and alcohol addictions, David Thompson now devotes his time to working with young basketball players, helping them to aspire to his achievements and avoid his mistakes. His autobiography, Skywalker, charts the highs and lows of his eventful life.

He was phenomenal. glad he is getting his life back in line

Comment

isn't the astrodome indoors? with the crappy artificial turf?

Comment

interesting pictures. The coach is so short compared to the players. And the white players legs look so bony . What's with the red knee? Is that blood?

And why don't you see any more tall white basketball players anymore? Blacks can't be that superior to us physically can they?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                          isn't the astrodome indoors? with the crappy artificial turf?
                          It is:

In the most famous single game ever played in the Dome, in 1968 Elvin "Big E" Hayes led the University of Houston to a close victory over Lew Alcindor's UCLA team. [For the sports impaired, I'm talking about basketball here.] I wasn't actually at the game, but I was listening intently to a Zenith table radio in my parent's kitchen three miles away. Go Cougs! Talk about civic pride.

It was indoors

My bad, darn Vicodin..thanks for the correction

Comment

with the crappy artificial turf?
                            Let's keep things in perspective. Astroturf was the first artificial turf ever installed in a sports venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Let's keep things in perspective. Astroturf was the first artificial turf ever installed in a sports venue.
                              true, you had to start somewhere. It's not like the first automobile was that great compared to a modern one.

Comment

Working...
                              X