Canadian Sports ICONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Sports ICONS

I enjoy sports and have for years, as a matter of fact, some of my favorite have come from the great white north

I was hoping to learn more about some from up there...

Many come to mind

Please, if you would, when you post, post at least a short bio..doesnt have to be a lifeline of events, just something more than Steve Yzerman, Hockey
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Maurice "Rocket" Richard is an interesting fellow.

He had the skill to dominate the game during his time (1st player to 50 goals in 50 games) and was one mean mofo on top of that. The NHL trophy for scoring leader is named for him.

The city of Montreal experienced fairly severe riots when he was suspended for striking an official for the second time in that season. There's more to that story that you can read here:
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Mr. Jean-Yves Theriault -23 Time World Kickboxing Champion

Born on January 15th, 1955, he began his Martial Arts career in Jiu-Jitsu in 1972 where he achieved the rank of blue belt. In 1976, after only six months of training under the direction of Kyoshi John Therien, he won his first Kickboxing competition. Two and a half years later, and a lot of hard work and determination he became the Canadian Middleweight Kickboxing Champion. In 1980, he won the title of the World Middleweight Kickboxing Champion, a position that he held for 15 years! He is a natural athlete, he trains extremely hard, and has the greatest disposition. His ring name is "The Iceman" due to his intimidating icy stare and his cool demeanor in the ring.

Since becoming a Champion, Jean-Yves has worked with many groups and charities, such as, the Big Brothers, Children's Wish Foundation, Laucan and numerous others. He is author of a book on his winning techniques and has a series of video cassettes on the science of combat sports. He is the subject of an hour and a half film produced by the National Film Board. He was voted Athlete of the Decade by the Sports Writers Association of his home province.

Jean-Yves is often asked to speak as a motivational speaker at schools, sporting events, banquets and business groups. His Martial Art and People Seminar have made him in constant demand in Canada, the United States and Europe.
      Since his retirement on December 1st, 1995, (a 3rd Round Knockout of Marcus Reid) Jean-Yves still trains 5 days a week and teaches all of the kickboxing classes himself. He is a role model for all Martial Artists today; he is humble, honest and down to earth. He is a devoted father and a friend to all of his students. Today he runs a successful martial arts school (Therien Jiu-Jitsu & Kickboxing) and organizes events in his new "ICEMAN Kickboxing Circuit".

My favorite fight I watched him was against the brash Bob "Thunder" Thurman and then again Rick "The Jet" Roufus.

I actually studied his success and added a front snap kick to my Repertoire, as he was most noted for that and his falshy left hand.

He worked for the Canadian Tax Service (IRS in the US) and a humble man.
      Attached Files

Comment

Fergie Jenkins: first Canadian to win a Cy Young and first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. 284 wins and over 3,000 strikeouts.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Bob Thurman is an "ICON"? Never heard of him.

Most Cdn sports icons would be hockey players Gramps.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Maurice "Rocket" Richard is an interesting fellow.

He had the skill to dominate the game during his time (1st player to 50 goals in 50 games) and was one mean mofo on top of that. The NHL trophy for scoring leader is named for him.

The city of Montreal experienced fairly severe riots when he was suspended for striking an official for the second time in that season. There's more to that story that you can read here:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Richard
            The city was pretty down when he passed away, as well. The Bell Centre still cheers loudly anytime they show video of him.

One of my most cherished items is an autograph he gave me when I was a young lad. It sits framed on my desk.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
              Bob Thurman is an "ICON"? Never heard of him.

Most Cdn sports icons would be hockey players Gramps.

How do you get Bob Thurman as an ICON for Canada?

Oh and for the record Wezil, this thread is toenlighten all about various Sports ICON's.

Theriault also had won some Canadian Sports Figure award during the same time as Gretzy.

I do agre most are Hockey, but that would be very narrow minded to even consider Hockey as your only machine to produce great sports figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

How do you get Bob Thurman as an ICON for Canada?
                Sorry my bad.

For the record, I've never heard of this Theriault fellow either.

Oh and for the record Wezil, this thread is toenlighten all about various Sports ICON's.
                Yes, I got that.

Theriault also had won some Canadian Sports Figure award during the same time as Gretzy.

Still never heard of him.

I do agre most are Hockey, but that would be very narrow minded to even consider Hockey as your only machine to produce great sports figures.
                I never said "only". I said "most".
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

and thus this thread has achieved in a few days where most attempts have failed for a long time, an American (myself) teaching a Canadian(you) alittle something about his own heritage

Seriously though, this is why i started the thread, to learn more about some Sports Icons from up north..past or present

Gramps

Comment

Just because he was great didn't mean he was an icon.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                      and thus this thread has achieved in a few days where most attempts have failed for a long time, an American (myself) teaching a Canadian(you) alittle something about his own heritage
                      And I'm still waiting for you to begin.

Seriously though, this is why i started the thread, to learn more about some Sports Icons from up north..past or present

Gramps
                      Fair enough. I'll see what I can find.

Comment

How about William "Scotty" Bowman?

William Scott "Scotty" Bowman (born September 18, 1933 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada) is a former National Hockey League head coach. He is the winningest coach in league history, with 1,244 wins in the regular season and 223 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He has coached the St. Louis Blues, Montreal Canadiens, Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Detroit Red Wings.

As head coach, Bowman has won a record nine Stanley Cups with the Canadiens (1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979), Penguins (1992) and Red Wings (1997, 1998, and 2002). He was also part of the 1991 Penguins Stanley Cup winning team as director of player development. He won the Jack Adams Award in 1977 and 1996. In the 1976-77 season he won a record 60 games and broke his own record with 62 wins in 1995-96. No other head coach in the history of the NHL, Major League Baseball, the National Football League, or the National Basketball Association has won championships with three different teams.

This site may help with your education Gramps.

edit - btw, your Theriault fellow isn't in the HoF either...

Comment

Perhaps your HoF should be audited.
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Nah, skinny kung fu guys need not apply.

Comment

Whoosh.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X