Grade the Canadian NHL teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade the Canadian NHL teams

* Note the number before the team name is where they place in the overall league standings today according to NHL.com

2 OTTAWA 9-1 -0 A+

Requires no elaboration

6 MONTREAL 6-2 -2 B+

Somewhat of a surprise or are they? WE knew that goaltending should be excellent and this Montreal team was streaky last year. The big thing so far is that PP excellence has continued this year so maybe Souray wasn't that big a piece. But there are disturbing trends of blowing leads. The Pittsburgh game ( where they did get the two points) was only the latest example

9 CALGARY 5-3 -3 C

Much is expected of this team and so far they have been inconsistent. Really positive signs like winning on the road or overcoming a 3 goal disadvantage against Minny are counterbalanced by blowing a 4 goal lead to Colorado and sleepwalking through a pathetic loss to San Jose. Their OT loss against Colorado was actually their most complete game and one of the best showings by Kipper. Their is much upside as this team has been winning mainly despite Kippers very average play.

11 TORONTO 5-5 -3 D

The 11th place ranking can be deceiving as TO has played 3 or even 4 more games than the majority of the 13 teams within 3 points of them. The Leafs are often awful to watch but rarely boring. After some rare relatively low-scoring wins they reverted and suffered an overwhelming loss to the Caps. BUt tomorrow they may beat someone 7-1. Overall they are playing pretty much as predicted. Their defense is usually terrible but they are capable of explosions on offense. Their current winning % would NOT realistically make the playoffs

22 VANCOUVER 5-7-0 F

Much more was expected of this team after last year's showing. Luongo has not been as consistently brilliant and the remainder of the team has not adapted. They still score far too few goals.

23 EDMONTON 5-7 -0 D-minus ( the Peanuts grade? )

Edmonton would also warrant a failing grade but do better due to lesser expectations. For this team to make the playoffs would require some extra superlative performances. ON some nights this team does look pretty awful. But one way or another they have (often with some stellar goalkeeping) clawed out 5 wins so far. With this assortment of talent, I would continue to give them a pass as long as the can stay anywhere within a few games of .500.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

OTTAWA: A
    I don't give A+, but basically they're hot.

CALGARY: B
    Still finding the grove, but every game is usually an improvement on the last. Every single one of the defensive pairings was new, leading to lots of miscues early on but those are diminishing over time. Aucoin and Sarich and Hale are all very solid additions (Aucoin/Sarich have been awesome). Phaneuf is playing on the level as a #1 defenseman in the NHL. Regehr was bad to start, been getting better. The offense is clicking. Kiprusoff is having his typical slow start, but the year he won the Vezina he had worse stats 10 games in so I'm not concerned.

MONTREAL: B-
    Their record is good, but I'm not convinced from their play that it'll be a contending team. They're off to a good start, which is probably more of a factor of circumstance than genuine talent.

TORONTO: D-
    Hilariously terrible defense and Paul Maurice is a bad coach and Mats Sundin is not a good captain. This team is awesome to watch, for all the wrong reasons.

VANCOUVER: D-
    They are underperforming, but they won't be as good as last year. Luongo will improve, but the team infront of him just isn't very good.

EDMONTON F
    How can you not give Edmonton an F? The team's record sucks, the core of the team sucks. This team SHOULD be in a rebuilding mode, but they're giving away draft picks like it's going out of style. Roloson's so old you have to worry if he'll have a heart attack on the ice, the defense is brutally bad, their offense is weak, their coach is an idiot, and their GM is even more of an idiot.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ottawa A
      Probably top choice to win the cup this year

Montreal B
      They were one of the top teams in the NHL last year before Christmas, but they fell apart due to various reasons. With a better tandem in net and hopefully some lessons learned, they will fare better this year.

Calgary B
      A very solidly built team that should start performing better and be a serious contender in the west.

Vancouver C-

Will fight for a playoff spot, but other than miraculous goaltending, shouldn't contend. They aren't really improved from last year that I can see, and it would be hard to match what they did.

Toronto D-
      Other than whoever plays with Sundin, this team really has nothing. Should finish in the basement if they keep playing this way

Edmonton D-
      Hard to see this team winning any more than last year.

I'm too much of a softy to give an F.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        <
        EDMONTON F
        How can you not give Edmonton an F?
        Because I was grading more on performance thus far this season and not on their overall prospects or quality as an organization. Expectations do play into that. Its also the reason that Calgary got a C from me. While I see the elements there to be a B+ or even an A-minus calibre team, their performance thus far is merely adequate in my view and that gets a C from me .

Edmonton-- I see most of the weaknesses you do but those folks have managed somehow to win 5 of 12 games. That to me warrants something better than an F. heck Toronto has only won 5 out of 13. Vancouver got the F as they are so far below what was expected of them

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my grading
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So you are grading based on prior expectations vs current performance?

My grading was mostly on current performance and future expectations.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

So you are grading based on prior expectations vs current performance?

My grading was mostly on current performance and future expectations.

Pretty much-- Mine were grades based on how they have done rather than how they will do. It was mainly performance but expectations played a part (Van getting a lower grade for the same record as the Oil)

But all grading styles are welcome

Comment

Any thoughts on the Kipper re-signing?

I don't see how JFJ can still have a job when he is compared to GMs like Sutter.

McCabe is still making more than Iginla and Kiprusoff. Kubina, almost as much.

The pieces are starting to fit together: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CGY

Comment

McCabe is still making more than Iginla and Kiprusoff. Kubina, almost as much.
                Only in current salary, not the more important cap hit figures. There, Iginla is the 7th highest paid player in the league whereas McCabe is 31st. Still way too much for McCabe, though.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Canadian hockey? I thought they would had moved all their clubs to deep south by now.

Comment

Working...
                  X