N.Y. Yankees: You win one, you lose one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.Y. Yankees: You win one, you lose one

Or in this case, win one = get one decision right, lose one = lose one superstar player.

Two pieces of news should become apparent tomorrow, according to SI.

First, it looks like Cashman will make what I believe is the right decision and offer the manager's job to Joe Girardi, rather than Don Mattingly. (Pena never really had a chance and it was just to show good faith that they gave him an interview. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...fer/index.html

Unfortunately, it also looks like A-Rod has decided to opt-out, which almost surely means he ends up in Anaheim, since I believe Cashman when he says that we won't pursue A-Rod should he opt-out and the Angels are the only team out there that can both break the bank and sorely need him. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...act/index.html

*sighs* Any other good third basemen out there?
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

My understanding is the Cubs could still go after him, if they figure out their ownership issues...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What'll they do with Ramirez if they go after A-Rod?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Play A-Rod at SS?

Comment

I assume that's the thinking, but I thought I read somewhere that A-Rod decided to bulk up a bit more for 3B, paying less attention to agility (needed for a SS), and he may not be a great defensive SS anymore as a result.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Perhaps they should play him in the outfield?

Comment

The thought is that ARod, being older now isn't likely to be a good defensive SS. The bulking up thing, Imran, supposedly was reversed at least in part this year (he dropped 10 or 15 lbs coming into the 2007 season), so I don't know how much of a factor that is.

There are lots of scenarios out there. Hell, there is even the scenario wherein the Yanks pretend they never said anything about not pursuing him if he opted out...

It would seem that he's gone. Fine. It's a loss, but it's a team game and there may be ways to compensate. We'll see if they pursue Lowell (and if Lowell has any interest). Perhaps a trade will happen. Or maybe they really will open 2008 with Wilson Betemit as starting 3B. If so, ouch, but the 2008 Yankees fortunes will rise or fall primarily with their young pitching.

edit: though this makes it all the more crucial to retain Posada and Mo (and get Pettitte to pick up his option).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

On another note... this morning on ESPN with Mike and Mike, they were trashing ARod for not showing up to collect the Hank Aaron Award and then by announcing he wasn't picking up his option with the Yankees during the end of WS. They were all over him for trying to upstage the BoSox victory. WTF. The only people making it a bigger story than the WS were the Bozo's from ESPN... (and I would assume the local NY media)

Let me clue you in ESPN... WE DON'T CARE...
                Congratulations to the BoSox... they are the story this morning.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I wonder if anyone has showed up to collect the Hank Aaron Award before? It seems like they wouldn't necessarily (it's not like its the MVP or anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    I wonder if anyone has showed up to collect the Hank Aaron Award before? It seems like they wouldn't necessarily (it's not like its the MVP or anything).

Prince Fielder, this years national league winner, showed up for the award
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The only people making it a bigger story than the WS were the Bozo's from ESPN... (and I would assume the local NY media)
                      And apparently Fox, who discussed it during the game. I had nodded off at that point, but apparently they spent some time on it during the late innings of what was a close game.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It was nice for Fox to break in. I didn't feel the slightest worry about the series - even if some miracle occured and the Rockies hit Paps, I just figured Beckett would do his thing tonight.

With so little tension and no angst at this point, it was nice to hear there'd be a little wailing and gnashing of teeth over in MFYland, to add to the pain of a long, cold winter.

Especially after reading about Hank (or was it the other one? Steinnydumb and Steinnydumber, I can't remember the difference yet.) and the "if they have a nation, we have a universe" remark, I enjoyed seeing how dumb and befuddled the MFY brainfarttrust is these days.

Anyone could predict that the least sign of instability in the organization would bring Boras' dorsal fin in full view.

The smart move would have been to talk about resigning Torre to whatever deal he wanted, make all the right talk about re-signing everyone, and try to wait out the opt-out deadline with all sorts of sweet talk. Then drop the hammer on Torre.

After canning Torre and chumming the waters, running one's mouth about "transition" is like dangling your feet off the edge of the boat. No surprise that Boras took a big chomp.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Re: N.Y. Yankees: You win one, you lose one

Originally posted by reismark
                          *sighs* Any other good third basemen out there?
                          Uh...Mike Lowell, World Series MVP and current Free Agent?

Though if he should go to the Yankees
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I'm actually hoping they cobble together a platoon out of the bargain bin. Betemit is a reasonably good LH platoon guy, and then if they scrounge up, say, Morgan Ensberg for the RH part, they could do fairly well. Upgrade 1B somehow (major problem, has been for years) and hope the young pitching does well, and you've got a plan for 2008 that doesn't involve shooting yourself in the foot long-term.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                            X