• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterminds of Hockeytown

Masterminds of Hockeytown

After 25 years, Mike Ilitch and Co. have built a hockey powerhouse

Interview Ted Kulfan, John Niyo and Bob Wojnowski

Together, they have 101 years experience with the same team and own 25 Stanley Cup rings. Together, they've built and maintained a franchise that has weathered the NHL's titanic changes and withstood the forces of parity.

This isn't about what the Red Wings will do this season, or what they did last season.

This is about a remarkable 25-year arc that began in 1982 when Mike Ilitch bought a sad-sack team, hired a hotshot executive named Jimmy Devellano and began assembling a brain trust that continues to grow and evolve and win.

Ilitch has owned the team for 25 years, and Devellano has been with him for all 25. Ken Holland has been here 24 years, the last 10 as general manager. Consultant Scotty Bowman has been here 14 years, including nine as coach, winning the Stanley Cup three times. Assistant general manager Jim Nill has been here 13 years.

Together, the group represents continuity you almost never see anymore, a link also reflected in the long career of Steve Yzerman, now making the transition from the ice to the front office. Continuity is a major reason the Wings hold the longest streak of consecutive playoff appearances -- 16 and counting -- of any franchise in the four major professional sports.

Hailed by many, railed by some, the Wings have acquired labels over the years ranging from "underachievers" to "visionaries," from "arrogant" to "brilliant." In a rare, candid glimpse into the inner workings of hockey's most successful brain trust, all five executives sat in Ilitch's Joe Louis Arena suite recently with the News' Ted Kulfan, John Niyo and Bob Wojnowski for an animated 90-minute conversation.

(continues with interview, rather long, so I just linked below)
    Abridged interview and sidebar with notes on each person.

Full transcript of interview
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

LET'S GO RED WINGS!
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

They have been a very very strong franchise overall. I do think that a review woyuld show that their showing in the playoffs has not been as strong as one would expect with their regular season record. A few too many first and second round exits.--

But undoubtedly one of the strongest best-run franchises over the last 25 years with a consisten winning attitide

ON cups they only have 3 which is somewhat disappointing given how often they head the regular season standings but this is still the 2nd best number over the last 25 years

OIL 5
      Detroit 3
      NJ 3
      NYI 2 ( the 25 year span cuts into their 4 year run)
      Habs 2
      Avs 2
      Pens 2
      plus 6 teams with one

Its interesting to look at that list of cup winners and contemplate how many of them have had pretty significant numbers of weak years within the last 25
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

NYI 2 ( the 25 year span cuts into their 4 year run)
        Habs 2
        It also cuts short the 4 year Habs run.

Montreal lead the league in attendance last year, btw, and has been top 2 for the past 3 years, IIRC.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot

It also cuts short the 4 year Habs run.

NOt really-- The 25 year period cuts the Isles 4 year run in half since 82 is the last year . IT doesn't get down to the Habs 75-79 stint at all

Oh ya and it doesn't come within a decade of the Leafs last and long-lamented Cup win
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            They have been a very very strong franchise overall. I do think that a review woyuld show that their showing in the playoffs has not been as strong as one would expect with their regular season record. A few too many first and second round exits.--
            Too true.

There's something to be said for having to battle down the stretch, as opposed to locking up the #1 seed early and having a bunch of meaningless games to play out.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

The biggest thing the Oilers learned from the Islanders was how champions behave.

From how to play the regular season (it's not a race once you are comfortably in) to intensity and behaviour when it counts.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Detroit

(aka I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread but want to add a meaningless cheer anyhow)
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                X