Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone surprised by the appointment? The consultancy role was always only a holding pattern. I've only seen the team once recently - the other night against Newcastle - and I don't think they yet have the depth of talent to be a serious ongoing threat.

J. O'Neill will to be too busy licking his whiskers over the new Wallaby coach to care what Eddie's doing.

Missed Bath -v- Gloucester last night because Mrs finbar wanted to watch a dreadful film on Sky Movies instead! Well, I caught the last minute. Looked like fun in the mud.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes it is quite the old fashioned game of mud wrestling when you can't tell red and blue shirts apart after 20 minutes.

Did you catch the result of the Harlequins game yesterday? A tale of two Toms - a hat trick for Varndell and a brace for Croft.

Tigers second try is well worth hunting down - Corry, Croft and Smith linking for a beautiful score. And keep watching after the conversion because Varndell caught the restart ball, slipped a tackle from De Wet Barry and ran the length of the pitch to score.

Mr Mauger is shaking of the ring rust and growing into the team very well. His slipped pass to Varndell for the last Tigers try was a nice touch.

Varndell is growing as a player - the showboating has been toned down and he seems to be reading the game a lot better.

Over to Dean Richards who had something to say about Crofty:

"Tom Croft is an outstanding talent. I think he is a really good player. He has everything. He might lack a little experience but you could throw him into the England team and I don't think it would hurt them at all"

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Caught the second half. Leicester were, at times, outstanding, flattered by some appalling Quins defence. Or lack thereof. For all their possession, Quins were basically dreadful. No wonder the coach couldn't get the frown off his face. I don't know what's happened to De Wet Barry. He used to be a ferocious tackler, often illegally and dangerously so. His effort on T. Varndell was utterly pathetic. And letting T. Croft surprise him in the air (to score his second) was equally sad. Not to mention the weak effort - along with the Quins #12 - in letting Varndell slip straight between them.

T. Croft is, as I've always thought, a future superstar. Extraordinary speed, mobility and coordination for a big man. And a brain. He has to make the 6N squad even if only for experience. In fact, were he Australian, he'd be straight into the national 22. Varndell does seem to be maturing, though he won't receive the poultice of gifts he did yesterday in Test rugby. A. Mauger is all class and it's beginning to show. So polished, so quick of thought and hand and boot, so understated. Oh how I wish G. Henry had had the nouse to pick him in front of L. McAlister in the WC QF. McAlister will never be the player Mauger is because he doesn't have the professional humility.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Mr McAllister actually played at fly half for Sale this weekend. The Sale head coach described the game as the teams worst of the season (they lost to the Exiles). No one player is responsible for that of course - but I wonder if he will get the ten shirt again this season?

It's an excellent point about the Australians selecting youngsters - it is a very English dogma that seems to prevent players younger than 24 being considered. Both TV and TC really should make the 35 man squad this wednesday.

Tigers are still two half backs short of being a good team in my opinion. The french scrum half didn't have a good game (though I think you missed a quite outrageous trip he got away with in the first half that probably should have seen a penalty try!). Ben Youngs might make the grade in time but we need a fit Harry Ellis ASAP.

The ten shirt is trickier - Goode's boot is often worth it's weight in gold but he is a quite limited playmaker. Lofreda needs to look at the ten shirt carefully for next season.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• McAlister spent time at #10 in S14 last season. He was seen as equally capable in either spot. As, for that matter, was Mauger. McAlister has talent but I just don't think he has the cool, measured head that is sometimes required. He doesn't think beyond the moment often enough. It might come with experience, but I'm not sure that the premiership is where he will learn it. I fear he will continue to try to dazzle to impress.

I did see the trip. I forgot to mention it. Was that in the first half? I must have caught some of the first half, too. Cynical stuff. Red card and a penalty try.

The Sky commentators were making noises about Goode worrying about Fernanandez arriving at the club. With Mauger and a quality #10 working together, and good wingers, Leicester would have the perfect combo of muscle and murderous attack.

Comment

• M. Corry's retirement sounds like a nicely stage-managed business. Coach calls to tell him he has been selected in the 6N squad, how does he feel about it? The player opts for retirement. Not a bad thing either. Mighty club player, never much better than a very hard worker at Test level. Time for new blood.

I only hope that all these retirements of seasoned hands won't frighten B. Ashton into opting for seasoned, lesser players for the sake of experience.

Comment

• 500 posts it is... time for a new one
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X