Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But surely Havak, McCaw must be the worst openside cheater of them all?

Comment

He's not even close Andydog.

Another five year of test rugby and he might be approaching it though.

Surely you didn't think I was criticising him? I admire McCaw hugely - the best openside in the world right now for me (with apologies to George Smith).

But a 'good' seven does not stay within the laws all the time - and I defy anyone to claim differently.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Really enjoyed the 2 games at Murrayfield, now v. interested in the games this weekend to see who I'll be watching in Cardiff!
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I have a feeling it will be France - much to LdiCesare's disgust.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I'd love that.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes, I think it's more likely France than anyone else.
              I don't think Ireland stands much chance of beating Argentina.
              Remind me, is it tonight that the Tongas beat England? Or will Wilko manage to get enough out of his backs and kicking game to reach teh QF?
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

It's Friday at 9pm French time.

The backs are not the key - closing Tonga down is. Something the Bok B pack failed to do - and something we simply have to do. It might not be pretty but strangling them of possession is the way to go I think.

Comment

I'd really like to see Argentina get to the semis. They have a good chance of doing it too, as they will only have to beat Ireland and then Scotland or Italy. If you guys remember, Ireland pipped Argentina back in 2003 to keep them out of the QFs, so the Argies should have plenty of motivation to win.
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

It might not be pretty but strangling them of possession is the way to go I think.
                    And that's about the only thing the English team can do right now anyway.

As for the Argies, they're very likely to reach the semis indeed. And don't forget they bet the Irish to the QF in '99, so there's a bit of history between them and the Paddies.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                      Finbar are any of those young lads capped yet? Any with English parents or a desire to travel up north?
                      The halves?

1. No.

2. No.

3. Absolutely not.

Kurtley Beale is the mercurial one. I don't want to put the kiss of death on him but he has a touch of the Ellas about him. Apart from sharing a heritage, too. B. Barnes, at 21, is the oldest and, in rugby terms, the most mature.

And that's about the only thing the English team can do right now anyway.
                      I knew I could absent myself from the thread for the day and leave Havak in good hands.

I just got home from teaching six Americans to cook Italian food. What a weird world we live in. And how weird for me to end a sentence with a preposition. I must be tired.
                      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I think you are safe - remember the company you are in. We think a preposition is something you do to a girl you find attractive.

Now then - what permutuation is needed for France to go out?

I hear Tonga have all dyed their hair green as part of some sponsorship deal by the way. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

*edit* I see the IRB has exercised it's usual sense of humour and banned the dyed hair as 'advertising' (it's an irish turf accoutnant who have sponsored Tonga).

Comment

Now I know which comedy writer has been penning the England rugby script over the last four years.

What a tedious mob the IRB are. The Tongans can't die their hair green, the All Blacks and the Haggis Munchers can take the field in virtually identical strip.
                          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

The comedy to which you refer is well beyond my humble skills.

It was "too late" by the time the IRB realised the shirt clash apparently. And they have always been precious about advertising at the RWC - it is quite something to watch their ground preperation crews who blank out all commercial logos at every ground so only IRB 'customers' have visible advertising.

It's commercial sense not to give freebies - but the IRB seem to exercise excessive dillgence (they will even blank out stand names unless it's an IRB sponsors name involved).

I wouldn't have really minded Tonga coming out looking like tomatoes.

Comment

Apparently the All Blacks, reasonably enough, left their all black strip back at their base. The issue had been decided. Whichever IRB bod is responsible for deciding the strip issue was shown photographs, but even from the photographs the abundance of grey must have been obvious. I still can't fathom why so many strips bear so little resemblance to the team colours. The Haggis Muncher strip in this tournament has next to no colour. And the Paddys look like they're playing in something your auntie might have used to upholster the couch 50 years ago.

Comment

The Black strip probably wouldn't have been any better given the royal blue the munchers use in their patchwork shirt?

Just wait until you see your mobs change shirt - very hard on the eyes (they wore it for one of the warm up tests - it's the one I described as very L***** like).

I need to work out the maths to see what is needed for France to go out. I'm not wishing it on them I should stress - this is purely so I can bait the paddies down the bar tonight (IF England win of course).

Comment

Working...
                                X