Apolyton Salary-cap Fantasy Hockey League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Salary-cap Fantasy Hockey League

In addition to our traditional Yahoo head-to-head league, some people here may also enjoy playing a low-maintenance salary cap league. This league runs the first half of the season (it ends sometime in January, where another season starts).

The basic idea is this: Each team starts with $30M to fill 7 spots: 1 center, 2 wingers, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie and 1 extra attacker. The value of the players are determined by the dynamic market, almost like a stock market. The more times a player is picked up in various leagues, the higher his value rises...this occurs daily. Similarly, when the player is in a slump, his value drops.

Each team is given 2 "trades"/moves a week. If they don't use them, they do stockpile (so after 2 weeks of no moves, in the 3rd week you'll have 6 moves).

When a player is on your team, he earns TSNP. For instance, a goal is 25 points, hattrick is an additional 30 points, a hit is 2 points, each goalie save is 2 ponts, etc. Breakdowns are provided at the TSNP link.

By the end of a season, good managers have $40M+ in salary (I had $48M one year) due to the buy low-sell high phenomenon. Because of the limited salary, and since players like Crosby are $8.3M, you can't afford to lace your team with superstars. This requires some more strategy in picking players that are undervalued. In Dion Phaneuf's debut season, he started at $500,000 (the min salary) and ended up just over $4,000,000 in salary by the end of the season. Finding such "sleeper" picks is in your best interest.

All told, these leagues are more casual than Yahoo. There's a fixed number of trades, and the most important thing is you can have any player you wish, regardless if other teams in your league have him. Everyone can have Crosby if you want.

Click here to join!

This is a kind of league where you can take the first 5 minutes to make your choices, then leave it on autopilot for months at a time if you wish. But it's still great fun -- the economic side of things adds an extra dimension.

Any questions?
    # You invest $30M in an 7 man roster
    # Score fantasy points each night based on your performance
    # Invest in the right players and earn more money, player prices move with demand!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

What's the basic strategy?

There's no one tip we can give you to guarantee victory. Winning at Fantasy Hockey Challenge takes intuition, luck, research, and trial and error. Here are some basic principles to get you started.

• Spot the bargains. If you pick a player that performs better than his salary would otherwise dictate, you improve your team's score as well as save money to spend on the rest of your team.
  • Play the Market. Buy low, sell high. By buying players in high demand and then selling them to reap the gains, you can increase your total team value and buy better, higher-priced players.
  • Know who they're playing. Some teams have goalies who couldn't stop a beach ball. Pay attention to skaters who are going against these weak goalies and make sure they're skating on your side.
  • Know who they're playing with. There is probably no better job than skating on Peter Forsberg's wing, you're bound to pick up a few extra points.

How do trades work?

After the first Roster Freeze of the season (Saturday, September 29th at 11pm), each time you sell a player from your roster, one trade is deducted. Buying a player to fill an open spot does not count as a trade.

When do I get new trades?

After the first Roster Freeze of the season (Saturday, September 29th at 11pm), the unlimited trading period ends, and you start the season with 2 trades in your account. Starting with Wednesday, October 10th, 2 more trades are added to your account every Wednesday at 11pm ET. You may use the trades you have at any time, or you may save them throughout the season for later use.

How do I trade players?

To sell a player, click on his salary where he is listed on your current roster. You'll be given the option to either 1) sell him outright, or 2) buy a replacement for him in the same transaction.

To search for a player to buy, use the player sort options located below your roster on the "My Team" page. You can sort by a variety of stats, or by prices. When you've found the player you want, click on the price of that player. Be sure you currently have room for him on your roster at his position; if you don't, the transaction will fail.

Can I buy more trades?

No. This is a basic league, not a Pro league.

How do I undo a trade?

You can undo a trade you make as long as it is completed before the next gametime freeze of any game or the 11pm ET roster freeze each night. So if you make a trade at 7pm ET, and the next hockey game is at 8pm ET, you have till then to undo the trade regardless of whether the players you’re trying to do are involved in that game or not.

This also is true with the 11pm ET roster freeze. If you make a trade at 10:30pm ET you have till 11pm ET on the same day to undo the trade.

To undo a trade, go to the "My Team" page soon after you make the trade you want reversed. As long as no gametime or roster freeze occurred there will be an "Undo Recent Transactions" link listed on this page. Click on that link and follow the directions to undo the trade.
"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why do players' salaries change?

The Sporting News Player Price Market is a unique feature whereby players' salaries go up and down every day based on YOUR trade activity, much like the stock market. The more times a player is bought, the more his price goes up. The more times he is sold, the more his price drops.

To take advantage of the moving market and increase your wealth, you'll have to anticipate the demand for specific players and buy them before their prices skyrocket. Be aware of players who aren't playing well (or at all); their prices are due to plummet.

When do price updates happen?

Beginning on Thursday, October 4, prices for players are updated everyday at 11pm ET.

When are new players added to the game (IPOs)?

Every Tuesday and Friday during the season, we will be introducing new players into the available player market. These events are known as IPO's (Initial Player Offerings).

Comment

Comment

I'll stay out of it this time. Last year I misunderstood the rules for few weeks and lost points because of that, and THEN I didn't have the time to update and play so I just kind of let it go...

Sorry for that. Wont' happen again, because I'm just going to watch you guys play.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

This isn't the Yahoo league. This one is more autopilot-able. You don't need to set who is playing...you draft 7 players and that's it.

Comment

Oh really? I'd be into that. If I don't have to actively manage the team... sounds like a good deal.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sounds interesting, but I'm already in four hockey pools.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

This will be my 6th.

Comment

Nobody is interested? It's great fun.

Comment

Welcome, Flubber.

Comment

asher sighting!!!
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

yay, let's talk sex. No one is viewing this thread!!!!

Comment

nye, you seemed interested last year -- are you in?

Comment

why not. this could be fun and/or ugly

Comment

• Working...
                              X