Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have we had a thread about roller hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have we had a thread about roller hockey?

Also inspired by the OTF thread.

When I was kid this was fairly popular in Brooklyn. You used a puck and hockey sticks, played it on roller skates, on cement, usually a dead end street or whatever.

I only played a couple of times.

Not sure if this was strictly an American thing, or if was popular outside NYC, or if its even still done.
    Last edited by lord of the mark; September 5, 2007, 13:36.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I remember hearing how roller hockey (especially with inline skates) was getting kids involved in the sport from warm weather climes. I think only a few actually became decent enough to play in the pros (NHL).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My uncle played on a roller hockey team. He sure did.
      Not inline. Those were decades into the future.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I had years ago, but preferred ice hockey and floor hockey or even street hockey
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
          I had years ago, but preferred ice hockey and floor hockey or even street hockey
          street hockey is what I meant, I guess.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

street hockey is what I meant, I guess.
            LOTM, I grew up in the State of Maine, Hockey almost all year around.

We played street hockey with tennis shoes or even boots, with plastic tipped sticks and usually a tennis ball.

We didnt have inline skates, actually only Ice Skates on frozen ponds.

Comment

Floor hockey in middle school gym class... Goalie stick -> Arrian's nose. Goalie stick 1, Arrian 0.

I never played hocky on skates of any kind. I'm terrible on skates. Weak ankles or something like that.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

LOTM, I grew up in the State of Maine, Hockey almost all year around.

We played street hockey with tennis shoes or even boots, with plastic tipped sticks and usually a tennis ball.
                You called that steet hockey? Sounds like field hockey, but without the grass.

Oh, and inline skates werent invented when I was a kid (or if they were, they hadnt made their way to Brooklyn)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  Floor hockey in middle school gym class... Goalie stick -> Arrian's nose. Goalie stick 1, Arrian 0.

I never played hocky on skates of any kind. I'm terrible on skates. Weak ankles or something like that.

-Arrian
                  or be skating a a decent speed on a frozen pond and either a stump or a rock just barely coming through the ice, and when your blade hits it, it is instant brakes and head first tumble

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You called that steet hockey? Sounds like field hockey, but without the grass.

Oh, and inline skates werent invented when I was a kid (or if they were, they hadnt made their way to Brooklyn)
                    Actually someone else before me called it that, as when i came along I was introduced to it

We would play until a car came along, move the makeshift goals and then return to play

Comment

Yeah, that's what street hockey means... what did you think it meant LOTM?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The sticks were just like regular hockey sticks for ice except a very tough blade and ankle for a more durable stick for outdoor wear and tear.

Of course, when on ice, cover dat sweet spot with tape for the perfect shot when using wooden sticks

Bauer was big back then among many

So was Sher-wood and CCM

Oh and the floor Hockey sticks used outside, we would bend the tip, helped with a wicked hook shot and snap shot

Comment

I saw some semi-pro or pro roller hockey televised years ago with a special rink with banked ends. It was fairly interesting but I don't know what happened to it (I've not much interest in hockey of any sort).

As a kid I did a bit of rollerskating but never played any hockey.
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Yeah, that's what street hockey means... what did you think it meant LOTM?

Maybe my memory is fading, but I was pretty sure it involved roller skates. and a puck rather than a ball.

I wish I was less dependent on Wiki, but here goes:

"Road hockey, also known as street hockey, dek hockey, ground hockey, or ball hockey is a version of ice hockey (or inline hockey) played with or without skates. It is possible to play with either a puck or ball, although a roller hockey puck is required when not on ice"

Evidently we were both right - probably local variations. If you live somewhere with iced ponds, I guess playing with roller skates on a road has less appeal than it did in Brooklyn.

Comment

And if ya hip check someone into a car it still hurts like being hipped checked into a tree stump

Comment

Working...
                              X