This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Heck with it-- I don't need to spend time with the wife and kids--- I'm in

My first act as manager is to place a territorial claim on Sydney Crosbie ( sorta like the Canadiens of old in Quebec). This would be in addition of course to my rights as an expansion franchise to a couple of expansion draft picks before the main draft begins . . WHA ?? a straight draft with ordering set by random draw??? Oh ok then (visions of a team with Crosbie, Thornton and Brodeur flit away)

In that case, my real first act of manager is to let everyone know that if I get the first or other early pick in the first round , It might be available in trade for a first and another early pick ( second or third round depending on where your pick is) as well as two box tops, a commerative looney , a team bus suitable for a major junior franchise and a swap of 12th round picks .

OH and before you managers come calling you have to know that improving my position in the 12th round is key to the trade. I don't want to be stuck with Andrej Meszaros when I could have had Christian Ehrhoff ( or was it the other way around )

Offers by PM
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

As a newbie to this league, would I need to do anything at this stage other than say that I am in and be ready to participate in the draft?

On the stats, I don't have a large preference. I did quickly look at the yahoo league and their defaults compared to the ones this league used

- deletes PPG and PPA and instead uses PPP and also uses SOG and PM

For goalies they use GAA.

------------------------------------

I understand why you guys deleted GAA to not have too many goalie categories.

My other takes

I think using both PPG and PPA overweights this and would prefer just using PPP

If people agreed with that and were not going to change the goalie stats, you would probably want another player stat to keep the goalie player balance at 5-3

On their defaults

SOG is interesting and something that people can assess pretty well but its yet another offensive stat

PM-- now this is an intriguing one to me. It would lead to some interesting roster decisions as people dedided whether or not to play their bruiser in hopes of taking that category. I don't know that I love it but there is an appeal in having to think about something apart from offense

I looked at their other stats and didn't love them. I wish they had options like "hits", "blocked shots" or even "time on the ice" where a low scoring player could be a huge asset.

Overall, keeping the player goalie dynamic as it was, the only thing I could recommend would be dropping two powerplay stats in favor of one and adding some new player stat. I think penalty minutes is interesting and adds a wrinkle but not having done this before there may be problems with that stat. So its a mild preference.

My bottom line is I will play whatever stats people want to choose.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Managers so far:
          Tingkai
          Asher
          Kontiki
          mrboo123
          notyoueither
          Sparrowhawk
          Guynemer
          Imran Siddiqui
          Flubber

Kontiki, have you sent invites out? Could you let me know to whom? I don't want to spam people if you have already sent some out.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If you need an extra player to make even numbers, I will play, but i'm not a major hockey fan.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
              What's the timing on this thing? I'm going away for two weeks starting tomorrow evening and won't have any internet access. I know we won't get the draft going that soon, but I don't want to miss registering a team.
              Oh-oh.

Last year we started the draft on Aug 29th and got through 14 rounds with 14 managers by the 18th.

This year the season starts a little early to allow for the games in London. I'm not sure we can wait til the 13th or 14th to start the draft.

Would you be happy with someone like Hot Mustard drafting for you for the first several rounds? Would he do it?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                If you need an extra player to make even numbers, I will play, but i'm not a major hockey fan.
                Do you want to play?

If yes, you're in.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Oh-oh.

Last year we started the draft on Aug 29th and got through 14 rounds with 14 managers by the 18th.

This year the season starts a little early to allow for the games in London. I'm not sure we can wait til the 13th or 14th to start the draft.

Would you be happy with someone like Hot Mustard drafting for you for the first several rounds? Would he do it?
                  Seeing as Yahoo launched this boat very late compared to last year...

We might be able to do a hybrid draft and not miss the beginning of the season.

If we start drafting on the 15th we should get through 10+ rounds by the 28th. We could start the season with the core of our teams drafted and fill out rosters with scrubs to register the teams. People could then drop and pick up players with the proviso that a player drafted has to be dropped so the team that drafted him can pick him up... if that makes sense.

It has the benefit of setting a firm date for the start of the draft that everyone can plan on and we might get quite a few rounds done that first weekend (yeah, right).

Or we could do a strict 12 hour bapay.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                    As a newbie to this league, would I need to do anything at this stage other than say that I am in and be ready to participate in the draft?
                    Nope, you're in.

On the stats, I don't have a large preference. I did quickly look at the yahoo league and their defaults compared to the ones this league used

- deletes PPG and PPA and instead uses PPP and also uses SOG and PM

For goalies they use GAA.

------------------------------------

I understand why you guys deleted GAA to not have too many goalie categories.

My other takes

I think using both PPG and PPA overweights this and would prefer just using PPP

If people agreed with that and were not going to change the goalie stats, you would probably want another player stat to keep the goalie player balance at 5-3

On their defaults

SOG is interesting and something that people can assess pretty well but its yet another offensive stat

PM-- now this is an intriguing one to me. It would lead to some interesting roster decisions as people dedided whether or not to play their bruiser in hopes of taking that category. I don't know that I love it but there is an appeal in having to think about something apart from offense

I looked at their other stats and didn't love them. I wish they had options like "hits", "blocked shots" or even "time on the ice" where a low scoring player could be a huge asset.

Overall, keeping the player goalie dynamic as it was, the only thing I could recommend would be dropping two powerplay stats in favor of one and adding some new player stat. I think penalty minutes is interesting and adds a wrinkle but not having done this before there may be problems with that stat. So its a mild preference.

My bottom line is I will play whatever stats people want to choose.
                    In past debates, people have been against the goon stat (PiM). Some also didn't like the SOG stat.

We've arrived at stats that most everybody was happy with over 2 seasons. That doesn't mean that there can be no change if you can rally some support. It just means that Ninot will hate you.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I don't see the point of using SOG, but we should reconsider PIM. Regardless of whether we like it or not, goons are part of the game. If we want the AHL to mimic the game then we should include PIM.

Without PIMs, the value of power forwards decrease and the value of soft players gets increased. So PIMs creates a more realistic balance.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

I think we should start the draft next weekend (Friday the 6th).

Can you make arrangements for this, kontiki?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

I hate change so much

count me in, I suppose
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Do you want to play?

If yes, you're in.
                            I'm happy to play if you need an extra manager to make things even. If you have an even # then leave me out.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

In past debates, people have been against the goon stat (PiM). Some also didn't like the SOG stat.

We've arrived at stats that most everybody was happy with over 2 seasons. That doesn't mean that there can be no change if you can rally some support. It just means that Ninot will hate you.
                              If it falls to me to rally anything, it won't change. Its just that 4 of 5 player stats are about scoring only with no consideration of anything else.

I thought people might want to throw in a twist but if it was discussed to death in previous years, just leave it as is

Comment

I haven't sent any invites out.

Obviously, I'd prefer to be here for the draft, but if that's going to screw everything up, then I guess I'll just have to accommodate whatever everyone else agrees to. For purely selfish reasons, I vote we start the draft on the 15th and have a strict 12 hour BPAY.

As for the stats, my preferrence would be to stick with what we had last year. I think SOG is a useless stat, and I prefer to stick with offensive numbers rather than stuff like PIM. The thing with penalties, too, is that especially with the now not-so-new rules, alot of the PIMs is for crap like hooking and holding, so it's not so much power forwards that come out ahead. Look at someone like Naslund, for example - last year he had 54 PMs, and 66 the year before. And Selanne had 82 PMs last year!
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X