X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Rod Beck

Found dead in his home in Phoenix

relief pitcher and closer for SF, SD and more I think

Beck's career-best was 51 saves in his only full season the Cubs in '98, the last of a 6-year run as one of the top closers (30+ saves in 5 of those years) in the game. Spent his early career with the Giants, where he built an impressive early resume. Finished with 286 career saves.

He was a hard-working, fun-loving, blue collar guy who loved the game and got the most out of his skills. Not HOF material by any means, but a gamer beloved by both teammates and fans. Mr. Beck would likely ask that we toast his life with a clink of longnecks.

Only 38. Very sad. RIP, Rod.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yeah... a clink of some longnecks would be appropriate for Rod.

ESPN was "guessing" that maybe it was a self inflicted death... not intentional suicide, but possibly drug related. It will be interesting to hear what the cause of death was.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They say it will be a few days on COD. He went into rehab for 2 months during his last season with San Diego, and was pretty open about having some "issues" with substance abuse.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I just wish ESPN hadn't speculated about it... If the COD ends up being substance abuse, FINE! But to mention it based only on guesses and with no supporting information, I think that sucks!
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow. I remember Rod Beck. Didn't he have a short stint with the Red Sox?

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yeah, the Cubs dealt him to Boston mid-season.

Comment

Working...
              X