Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2007 - Twiddling Our Thumbs!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows about props? Who knows about front rows? As S. Poidevin once famously remarked: "It's a dark science".

I just stumbled on this:

France rugby coach Bernard Laporte, who was named as French sports minister following the World Cup later this year, said his priority was to win the event.

Laporte, who is close to newly-elected French president Nicolas Sarkozy ...
    It explains much about M'sieur Laporte's madness. Anyone who's close to N. Sarkozy has to have a screw loose somewhere.

Apologies to you, LdiC, if N. Sarkozy happens to be a close friend or relative.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

France is lurching to the right at the moment - the UK is likely to follow.

Sarkozy strikes me as having the character of a Gamelin or a Weygand rather than a De Gaulle (one for the history buffs there).

But thank goodness Andy Robinson didn't go into politics - or even worse that Sir "I'm right" Clive didn't!

*edit* Love some of those Bok names - Bismarck du Plessis???
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

It is a pretty big ask for the ABs to go from thrashing Canada at home to playing SA in an away match. I reckon it will be a typical slow start for NZ, with the Boks taking the win.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Apologies to you, LdiC, if N. Sarkozy happens to be a close friend or relative.
          We're probably close in size, but that's all.
          We hope Laporte will still focus on rugby till the World Cup, but he better fare well. If we get thrashed and lose to Ireland and Argentina, he'll have a quite unpopular start at his new job.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
            The Horror. The Horror.

Rob Andrew reborn in a green jersey with number 22 on the back. Only this time the pr*ck did it twice.
            Just watched the highlights...you have to admit, that first drop goal was bloody good. He was almost at the sideline and 40 metres out.

Oh, and more like De Beer reborn.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
              It explains much about M'sieur Laporte's madness. Anyone who's close to N. Sarkozy has to have a screw loose somewhere.
              Erm...why?

Comment

Zinzan's first column post-p*ssed-head-bang-on-pavement makes just a tad more sense than usual.

I might try falling out of a taxi.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yes but I don't want to see him calling Tigers new AB signing "a little kid" very often.

Also Flavell and Rawlinson? Who??
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

The "little kids" line is a hangover from his pre-brain damage days when he bordered on unintelligible. I suspect he means they're going to struggle against the Bok centres. He's right about Isaia Toeava - massive potential, big, very quick, but still making too many basic handling errors. Well worth watching, though, because when he gets it right, he's great value.

And, yes, this has to be one of the lesser AB lock pairings of recent times.

Comment

Comment

All teams have positional crisis every so often - it's how you get through them that counts.

In all honesty it will make for a better World Cup (for non Kiwis at least) if the Boks can derail the AB juggernaut slightly.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that France - especially after their summer stuffings - are due a mercurial performance. Being France I also have the feeling they will put that in in either the QF or SF and then not turn up for the actual final.

Can they draw the ABs before the final (I'm too lazy to do the required research).

I also think - as long as he doesn't pick Dallaglio - that England will probably upset the Boks in the group stages. Because on form we shouldn't be able to - and thats when we do best against them (I'm old enough to remember 1998 when we stopped them taking the ABs consecutive win record).

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                          In all honesty it will make for a better World Cup (for non Kiwis at least) if the Boks can derail the AB juggernaut slightly.
                          Oh come on. A NZ victory would be good for the game.

Comment

Yes. In Rotorua.

Comment

You're egging me on.

Comment

Who? Moi?

Anyway, as someone once probably said, and if they didn't they should have, better to be egged on than to have it all over one's face.

Comment

Working...
                                X