Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2007 - Twiddling Our Thumbs!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly think Jenkins is an idiot – though for very different reasons to yours ( I dislike him from his Scarlets tenure).

It does continue to surprise me that the Welsh fans think so highly of Henson. From an English perspective his is a talent that is not focusing on releasing his potential or putting in the hard work necessary to do so. He is distracted by the Queen of Wales and applying his fake tan and hair gel perhaps?

I find myself agreeing with Finbar - he did nothing in Australia to warrant renewed welsh confidence about him. You must be angry surely that his 2005 ‘victim’ Tait has developed into a fine prospect whilst Henson has at the very best stood still?

I remember being hugely impressed by Rob Sidoli – back in 2003 I think when he shone in adversity against England (man of the match from the losing side IIRC?). But isn’t he a Blues man? Surely you should be happy he gets the nod?

Cockbain on the other hand played a huge part in the 2005 Slam – but he hasn’t looked the same since that muscle off the bone injury soon after. And he is an Aussie.

Old Charvo did play pretty well on the Australia tour – well at least the work rate was damn impressive as Finbar has noted. But what happened to all that young back row talent that was floating about in 2005? Recalling Charvis for the RWC is akin to England selecting Hill – it’s a worrying sign about the younger players.

Of course Ashton selects his initial training squad today – no doubt the SH types will be quaking with fear when the likes of Champagne Charlie H return to the fold.

Nobody expects much out of him playing at FB, but he's still obviously got more class than any of our other options at IC.
    Hmm? I think I might to tempted to play Jones-Hook-Shanklin myself and stick Alfie at FB. You don’t feel Hook can slot in at 12?

They've picked him in front of Freir only for his size, when Freir is better at line out time and more mobile in the loose.
    I see your point – I tend to agree. It is easy to criticise knuckles for it but I guess he has one eye on the physical challenge. The Wallabies will suffer badly is the referee allows scrums to be played properly – who is the ref? It’s going to be a Kiwi – your best bet is Walsh I think – he should neuter the Bok scrum nicely with his pedantry.

I think Chabal would in fact be better as a lock than as a number 8, but he isn't trained in that role so who knows what he'll be worth in that role?
    Corry made that switch in the 6N with good results. But then there is no question mark over Cozza’s fitness. There still is with Chabal – he is not an 80 minutes man?

I think you are Benjamin Kayser in disguise LDiCesare – so you better be wrong about your throwing and I’ll see you for a beer at Welford Road next season.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
      I see your point – I tend to agree. It is easy to criticise knuckles for it but I guess he has one eye on the physical challenge. The Wallabies will suffer badly is the referee allows scrums to be played properly – who is the ref? It’s going to be a Kiwi – your best bet is Walsh I think – he should neuter the Bok scrum nicely with his pedantry.
      It's nonsensical to think that a couple of inches and a stone in weight is going to make any difference. Particularly when Freir is actually a better scrummager. And, as you say, the pack is going to be murdered anyway. Barring a crap ref.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Freir is on the bench I assume?

Well Ashton has named world plus dog for the training squad (47 players). Dallaglio has talked his way back in as expected. I will hold off judging Ashton until he trims it down to 30 players.

No place for the Crofts and Cranes of this world - though Tigers will certainly make good use of them during the RWC.

Wasps showing in the European Cup could prove to be a disaster for England if average club players like Waters are getting a shout of the white shirt.

Still the BBC has maintained it's high standards of journalism - at the time I write this the report of the squad announcment is saying Wasps have been rewarded for winning the Premiership by the number of call ups received.

Wasps - as you know - did not win the Premiership.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Yes, Freir is on the bench. I'd bet he'll be on in the first half after another dismal throwing display by the incumbent.

Cannot believe Nose will make the final cut. But then ...
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Apparently Laporte gave the captain role to Papé in order to push him (I can't really translate "le titiller", sorry). He wasn't satisifed with his performance. Papé also was replacement lock for most of the 6N tournament. Laporte therefore considers Thion and Nallet better players, which I believe is probably true right now.
            Laporte also wanted to bring in Chabal but didn't know where to fit him. He cannot last all the match as a number 8, and so decided to bring in Chabal as a second row, thanks to his amazing power.
            This left one place. Laporte says Papé had been hurt and wasn't on top physically, so he decided to select Pelous instead, who wasn't hur... who... errr, because he was the captain in the 6N... no, because his club ended first of errr, no, not that either.
            Oh, well, blast it. Pelous is obviously better than Papé. And Chabal is more experienced as a second row. And Thion's hair is redder. And Nallet is before Papé in alphabetical order.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I think you were eavesdropping on the meeting that selected the French squad.

I suspect le titiller might translate as something like giving a tickle up.

Comment

All Blacks thumped Canada, as expected, but took their time about it. The further the game went, the more tired the Canadians got, and the All Blacks partied. The first half was a reasonable contest with the Canadians picking up an intercept try on top of some of willing defence, the second half turned into an All Blacks' picnic.

You really have to wonder what sort of preparation this has been for the All Blacks heading into their Bok clash next week. Shades of the 2003 World Cup?

Elsewhere in the Shaky Isles, the Junior All Blacks - amounting to their 3rd XV - hammered the Australia A team 50-0. Oh well.

Comment

The Horror. The Horror.

Rob Andrew reborn in a green jersey with number 22 on the back. Only this time the pr*ck did it twice.

Still, can't complain too much. The drop goals were desperation stuff, the massive Bok forwards unable to get across the line from any number of five-metre lineouts.

The Wallaby scrum wasn't embarrassing and the team's physical and mental toughness can't be questioned. They could have been smashed out of the game in the first half hour and weren't. And hooker S. Moore, for the most part, made me eat my words.

Havak, I think you put your finger recently on a major Bok problem. Butch James isn't good enough at #10. He doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Comment

Whereas his opponents don't have any unbroken bones in their bodies.

He is a weak link for them - what happened to Van Der Westhuyzen?

Steyn is a huge talent isn't he? He could go on to great things.

A development in the Dallglio case - Andy Robinson says he must be picked for the RWC squad. I can think of no better reason to immediately drop him to be honest.

As for our french hookers selection woes I think Pelous is a good choice. Whilst not in the same league as the Eales, Jacks or Johnsons of this world he does bring a 'bit of dog' (phrase copyrighted to Finbar) to the french pack and is one of the few who can marshall them on the field when things are not going so well.

As for the All Blacks next week they may find that the Canucks were not the ideal warm up game (something the Churchill cup should have told them!).

Comment

Butch doesn't seem to be doing quite as much shirtfronting lately. As a #10, he's not much more than a recycler. The Wallaby 9-10-12 combo made the same Bok combo look pretty clueless. They're going to need that sort of creativity when their bulldozing option isn't working.

Not sure what's happened to Van Der W. Last time I saw him he came off the bench in a S14 match.

I saw a lot of Steyn in S14. He's a prodigious talent.

Might the copyright phrase have included the word "mongrel"?

Comment

oops!

I clearly assigned a pedigree where none was needed.

Comment

Vermeulen, our best choice at number 8, will not be able to play the world cup. This leaves Laporte checking for another player to take his place. Bonnaire and Harinordoquy can both play 8, so it's not sure who among Dusautoir, Magne (and Lambolley and Papé) will get selected instead.

About Pelous, I think he used to be a great player, astounding tackler, but he's been off the field for quite a long time and Ibanez is imho a very good captain. I have no idea in what shape Pelous currently is. We'll see against the English and Welsh I suppose.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I can't agree with Ibanez. Yes he is a good skipper and yes he is playing well - but he is also a Wasp so I have an automatic and intense dislike for him.

Hard to see Wales as a test for France when their only test victory this year was a narrow one (at home) over Ashton's new England side. England might be a test for France if the wind is blowing in the right direction when Ashton picks the side, Dallaglio is left out and France have one of their off days.

Failing that Pelous might find his first real test will be the Pumas.

The AB exodus continues - Rico gear has signed for Worcester. Should the ABs win the World Cup they will face the same situation as England in that half the team will immediately become unavailble to them. I suspect they might cope better but it will at last be a real test for Henry - instead of inheriting a group of top class players he will have to assemble his own new squad. He didn't do so well with that at Wales...

And Van Niekerk is honouring his deal to join Northampton - I wonder if he will enjoy National League One

Comment

Rico Gear has dropped down the ABs' wing pecking order over the last 12 months. Like D. Howlett, he has lost the top end of his blistering pace. D. Howlett remains somewhat in contention because he has a much better all-round game than R. Gear.

Having watched so much S14 this year, I would suggest that the only place the ABs will really suffer, post-World Cup retirements, is in the second row. There are some super young talents coming through elsewhere on the field. The second row is a different matter.

Comment

Yes they should struggle in the second row - Jack would be a massive loss to any side (going to Saracens FFS! Thats like early retirement!)

I'm curious about the loss of Haymans - have they lots of young props coming through too as he is their stand out front row player for me.

*edit* As an aside of the three very young front row players who started the RWC final for England two have already retired through injury and the other is playing on after spinal fusion surgery. I think the days of long front row careers are behind us?

Comment

Working...
                                X