Talladega track bans 14 fans for life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talladega track bans 14 fans for life

The very first thing that pops into my mind, is how do they intend to enforce these bans?

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) - Talladega Superspeedway has permanently banned 14 fans from buying tickets at the speedway following their arrests Sunday for throwing objects on the track after Jeff Gordon's victory in the Aaron's 499.

The fans were charged with disorderly conduct Sunday and posted bond at the track's jail facilities, Talladega County Sheriff Jerry Studdard said. Track officials can't prevent the 14 fans from buying tickets through a third party.

A number of fans began throwing beer cans after Gordon won the race under caution, passing the late Dale Earnhardt — a Talladega favorite — in career wins.

Talladega officials had issued warnings before the race that fans caught throwing objects over the fence separating the grandstands from the track would be arrested.

Superspeedway president Grant Lynch said identifying other fans who threw objects was harder than he had imagined.

"At a baseball game where everybody is sitting down, it's easy to see someone stand up and throw an object onto the field," Lynch said. "I was looking at a section that probably had 300 people in it, and they were all standing up, waving their arms and their caps, and I couldn't pinpoint where any of the objects were coming from."

Track officials added security following a similar incident after Gordon's victory in 2004, and said they will review Sunday's incident to see if more changes are needed.

Fans are allowed to bring small coolers into the track, and also can buy canned beverages at concession stands.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

By issuing trespass warnings to them, and then if they ever find them on the track again they can have them arrested for trespassing.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So it's like they're on probation. As long as no probs, fine. Probs, go to jail.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, if they're regulars then it's probable that folks at the stadium recognize them. So it's up to the stadium crew to decide whether to narc on them or not
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Well, if they're regulars then it's probable that folks at the stadium recognize them. So it's up to the stadium crew to decide whether to narc on them or not
          Two problems there. First, the track hosts two major events each year, and each draws six-digit crowds, so even if they're regulars, they're probably not regular enough to be recognized. Second, even if they're regular enough to be recognized, the crowd is so large that it will be easy for them to avoid contact with official personnel. If nothing else, they can go to the infield. The contact with personnel will be limited to the ticket taker at one gate.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Anyone caught throwing objects onto a race track should be done for attempted murder.

Comment

People go to NASCAR races to see crashes, though.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
              X