Ice Hockey World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Hockey World Cup

So...the IHWC faces off tonight. Who do you fancy?

I think the Czech's might just be the team to watch this year. And of course I will be holding my breath hoping that Denmark is not relegated. But we start off with Russia

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

I don't even understand why this farce of a tournament still exists.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

You mean in relation to the Stanley Cup?

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Russia

Serb
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You'll excuse if I don't share your enthusiasm, LS But Russia lead 8-1 after the second period

I knew we would lose, of course. But this thrashing, I could have done without.

Asmodean

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
            You'll excuse if I don't share your enthusiasm, LS
            Not even for The Return of Serb?
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Not even for The Return of Serb?
              I actually am not familiar with the story behind Serb. But until I know the details, let it suffice to say that I would not be against his return

Asmodean

Comment

You mean in relation to the Stanley Cup?

Asmodean
                It just doesn't showcase the best talent of, well, anything. You basically get the NHLers out of the playoffs who want to go. If you want the best overall talent, you've got the Olympics and/or Canada Cup and if you want juniors, you've got the World Juniors and Under 18 tournaments. The so called "World Cup" is just a collection of NHL players who have nothing better to do, whether that's the playoffs or simply sitting on the beach relaxing somewhere, and some Euro club players who aren't good enough to make the NHL in the first place.
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Well, I can't obviously speak for other countries, but for Denmark, those of our players that can attend are there.

Of our 2 NHL players, 1 is there. And the other one is still involved in the play-offs.

For most of the european countries, anyway, most players want to play for their country, and they join as soon as their respective NHL teams are out.

Asmodean

Comment

For most of the european countries, anyway, most players want to play for their country, and they join as soon as their respective NHL teams are out.
                    Not as much as you might think. I can give you quite the list of eligible Euros who aren't participating for one reason or another.

Which isn't to say that you aren't getting some decent NHL talent, but rather it's just a secondary diversion. The mere fact that most teams are waiting for NHL teams to get knocked out of the playoffs in order to strengthen their roster pretty much says it all. At the absolute minimum, they should move the tournament until after the NHL playoffs are done, or better still move the dates and not hold it anually. That way, you'll have better participation and it will mean a little more.

Comment

NHLers in the tourney:

Austria: none

Belarus: none

Canada: Colby Armstrong, Eric Brewer, Mike Cammalleri, Jason Chimera, Mike Commodore, Shane Doan, Dan Hamhuis, Barret Jackman, Matt Lombardi, Chris Mason, Jamal Mayers, Jay McClement, Rick Nash, Dwayne Roloson, Nick Schultz, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Cam Ward, Shea Weber, Justin Williams

Czech Republic: Petr Cajanek, Zbynek Michalek, Jiri Novotny, Rostislav Olesz, Tomas Plekanec, Ladislav Smid, Petr Tenkrat, David Vyborny, Marek Zidlicky

Denmark: Frans Nielsen

Finland: Niko Kapanen, Mikko Koivu, Lasse Kukkonen, Jere Lehtinen, Kari Lehtonen, Fredrik Norrena, Petteri Nummelin, Ville Peltonen, Jarkko Ruutu, Tuomo Ruutu

Germany: none

Italy: none

Latvia: none

Norway: Patrick Thoresen

Russia: Alex Frolov, Sergei Gonchar, Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, Andrei Markov, Alex Ovechkin, Alex Radulov

Slovakia: Zdeno Chara, Jaroslav Halak, Milan Jurcina, Miroslav Satan

Sweden: Alex Steen

Switzerland: David Aebischer, Mark Streit

Ukraine: none

USA: Andrew Alberts, Tyler Arnason, Jason Bacashihua, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Brandon Bochenski, Chris Clark, Erik Cole, John Grahame, Matt Greene, Adam Hall, Andrew Hutchinson, Jack Johnson, Phil Kessel, Chad Larose, Toby Peterson, Brian Pothier, Paul Stastny, Lee Stempniak, Ryan Suter
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Not as much as you might think. I can give you quite the list of eligible Euros who aren't participating for one reason or another.

Which isn't to say that you aren't getting some decent NHL talent, but rather it's just a secondary diversion. The mere fact that most teams are waiting for NHL teams to get knocked out of the playoffs in order to strengthen their roster pretty much says it all. At the absolute minimum, they should move the tournament until after the NHL playoffs are done, or better still move the dates and not hold it anually. That way, you'll have better participation and it will mean a little more.
                        Not every tournament needs to be about bringing the best of the Canadians, Americans, Russians, Czechs, Swedes and Fins.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Asher, I'm not going to quote that long list....but it is actually longer than I would have imagined.

35 NHL players from countries other than USA and Canada. I thought the number was closer to 20

Comment

Asher, I'm not going to quote that long list....but it is actually longer than I would have imagined.

35 NHL players from countries other than USA and Canada. I thought the number was closer to 20
                            I was surprised at how few Swedes there were on that list as opposed to say the Finns

I don't mind this tourney but its no test of the elite level. It should be good hockey though. Even second tier all-stars are fine players
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh ya

SIXTEEN teams ???????

Thats just silly. Put the top 8 in this tourney and send the next 8 back to the B pool to fight with Japan
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X